Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Opening a project in a new version doesn't update it's version number

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Baste, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Baste

Baste

I'm not sure if this is an issue with the Hub, or if it's a change in Unity.

Before, whenever I opened a project with a new version of Unity, projectversion.txt was immediately updated. Now, when I open a project in a new version, that doesn't happen before I make some change and save the project.

So if go into the hub, select a project that was last opened in version 2017.3.1f1, and select the "Open with 2017.3.1p3" option, it will go through the whole "are you sure you want to upgrade, this will take a while" process. Then, if I close the project immediately, and look at it in the hub, it's still marked as 2017.3.1f1. projectversion.txt also hasn't updated.

This is a bug, right?

Elringus likes this.
  2. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi @Baste ,

This seems to be Editor dependent and the behavior change depending on the Editor the project open with.
    We will investigate the behavior and see which version would automatically update the projectversion.txt.

Thanks for reporting,

Joe

3. mcarriere

mcarriere

For what it's worth, we experienced this with 2017.2.2f1 (from a 2017.2.0p1). The workaround was just to edit a file and save the project and just revert the file we edited before committing to our version control.

charlesb_rm likes this.
  4. DarkNBlood

DarkNBlood

Same issue for me after upgrading project to 2017.4.2f2 :(
    Unity Hub still marked my project with old version !

Edit : Sorry, it's working after restart Unity Hub :D

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  5. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

@joeksy Same issue here.

Project Version : 2018.1.1f1, Unity Version 2018.1.2f1

ProjectVersion.txt is not updated after updating project. Both via Unity Hub and via Editor directly. So every opening project, always "Project update dialog" is appear.

Is it safe that manually edit ProjectVersion.txt ?

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

I ran into this when upgrading to 2018.1. I found that ProjectVersion.txt would update if I made a scene change but not if I just updated.

LeviDSmith likes this.
  7. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

Making a scene change is works. Thanks.

elenzil and Deleted User like this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Making a change in PlayerSettings (then Save Project) should work, too.

elenzil likes this.
  9. Elringus

Elringus

@joeksy any news on this? I've found this issue on the tracker and it's marked "By Design". Is it really by design? We have to change something in the project and then save it or manually edit the ProjectVersion.txt after each update?

10. Baste

Baste

Yeah, this is bad. This is a change in how Unity works that may cause a huge cost in time, as you can end up running the same reimport twice. Those take everything from minutes to an hour.

JesOb and Elringus like this.
  11. Deleted User

Deleted User

This behavior especiallly doesn’t make sense considering you can make changes to the scripts, including upgrading to new APIs, and ProjectVersion.txt still won’t update without a scene or project settings change.

JesOb and Elringus like this.
  12. Deleted User

Deleted User

I just checked to see if it’s still happening with 2018.1.2 and it is, but I realized it does automatically upgrade ProjectVersion.txt properly for my projects that are on Unity Collab (which may be why I didn’t notice this issue until recently, when I updated some projects stored only on github)

13. Deozaan

Deozaan

When you update a project, you have to click File -> Save Project for it to save the changes to the ProjectVersion.txt file. As far as I know, there is no need to edit and then revert any files. Just make sure you save the project.

EDIT: It seems I was wrong and this doesn't always work.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  14. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have tried that, and (with my github projects that are not connected with Unity services), saving the project doesn’t update ProjectVersion.txt if no other changes have been made. I haven’t tried editing and then reverting scripts, but just editing scripts doesn’t update ProjectVersion.txt. Only settings and scene changes.

15. Elringus

Elringus

Doesn't work for me either.

Deleted User likes this.
  16. jk15

jk15

I was having the same problem, my ProjectVersion.txt was updating but would not recognise it and would try open with a previous version, but as mentioned you must click on File > Save Project, not Ctrl-S as these are different, the issue went away.

17. elenzil

elenzil

just chiming in.
    same problem, unity MacOS 2018.1.0f2 -> 2018.1.6f1.
    'save project' did not modify any files, including ProjectVersion.txt.
    making a change to project settings as suggesded by @technicat worked well.

Deleted User likes this.
  18. Olander

Olander

Just an update to others who come here from Google and such.

Unity 2018.2.14f1 (so still happening). Upgrading a project (ie 5.6.3 to 2018.#.#) leaves the project 'Number' at the previous...however...everything inside this project has been migrated.

'I think' (speculation here from converting several projects) if everything in the Existing (ie 5.6.3) is deemed 'Okay' and not 'Truly' converted then the Project Info Number is not changed. This is really consistent so likely this is by design.

To 'Force' a project version update simply Move an object in your currently opened scene then Save Scene. Then click Save Project (pretty fast as usual but does do it). Your project is now updated. Move your object back and save....blah blah...good to go!

Hope this helps others.
    Cheers
    O

19. silentneedle

silentneedle

Still seems to happen. I updated from 2017.4.10f1 to 2017.4.23f1.

20. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    In some case, Editor may require to save a scene before version applies. Hub's project list also require to refresh (either automatically over time, or open Hub from the tray menu while closed)
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

Joe

21. Baste

Baste

Why?

You lock up the editor for up to half an hour to run all of the version upgrading. There's no reason to not also write to projectversion.txt as a part of that process - doing so would have no negative side-effects, not doing so causes a bunch of issues.

22. naveeny85

naveeny85

Hi,

I tried all of the above methods. But none of them worked (Saving a scene, making a change to project settings, added a new scene and saving the project and none of it worked)
    I updated my project from 2019.1 to 2019.2.0f1. It made the necessary updates and here i am, seeing the "API updated required' dialog every time i try to open the project. It is annoying to say the least. Please suggest a fix for this.
    I don't even see the 'Run API Updater' enabled as the project is already updated.

23. Jayantbarthwal

Jayantbarthwal

i upgraded the unity 1.5f1 to 2.4f1 which is the latest , but my game start crashing in android whenever i load a scene , now i can not rollback to previous version as unity does not support that ,and i can not fix that crash , please help me

24. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Having this same issue. Upgrading from LTS 2018 to 2019. I've tried every method in this thread and everything else I could find online. Unity documentation page about this is blank. No solution has worked.

25. McSpidey

McSpidey

This may not work for everyone but sharing since it worked for me. I had this issue with the ProjectVersion.txt not updating itself, but everything else upgrading fine - I noticed my whole data drive, including the project folder, was marked by Windows 10 as read-only after a major windows update (google suggests this is another common windows bug...).

Manually removing the read-only flag from the Unity project folder and all subfolders/files then applying made it so Unity could upgrade my project version ok.

26. renatop

renatop

On mac
    chmod +w ProjectSettings/ProjectVersion.txt
    and then saving a scene solves it!

samarth-robo, gibertoni and Matsuguma like this.
  27. Matsuguma

Matsuguma

I'm having trouble with this on 2019.4.8f1.
    In the meantime, I wanted to change it manually, but how do I get the revision number for
    m_EditorVersionWithRevision
    ?

28. swedajan

swedajan

This! I was looking for a solution for a long time. Never even considered this. Many thanks.