Search Unity

Question OpenID Connect PERMISSION_DENIED: Validation Failed

Discussion in 'Authentication' started by MegaCrapkin, May 7, 2023.

1. MegaCrapkin

MegaCrapkin

Hello,

I have followed the OIDC authentication instructions and integrated with my self-hosted OAuth server to return an id_token to the Unity game. However, on calls to both SignInWithOpenIdConnectAsync (when not logged in anonymously) and LinkWithOpenIdConnectAsync (when logged in anonymously), I receive the following response:

Request failed: 401, {"title":"PERMISSION_DENIED","detail":"validation failed","details":[],"status":401}​

This error message is not very useful, the documentation has no mention of this, and the very few existing posts I have found with this error either list a fix that is not relevant to OIDC or don't list a fix at all.

On my server logs, I see no requests during the SignIn or Link calls, which leads to me believe this is a permission/validation issue with Unity Authentication and not with the OIDC credentials or OAuth server.

Is this correct, or is there something else I am missing in this implementation?

2. MegaCrapkin

MegaCrapkin

Turns out it was an issue with my OAuth server! Would be nice to have a little more descriptive error message though.

Solution:
    The OAuth provider was set to confidential, and of course Unity doesn't know the client secret. I had previously tested setting it to public, but with the same result. What I should have done was also made sure there was a signing key setup (I feel like that should be defaulted on for public providers -- but oh well!).