Search Unity

OpenGL 2.0

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by guategeek_legacy, Nov 9, 2005.

1. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

So I was glancing at GLview and I saw that one of the two unsupported things for OpenGL 2.0 are texture_non_power_of_two. So when that is supported will we be able to bring in any texture size we want to unity if you add that support, because that would be realy nice. Jeff

2. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Problem is that only top of the line video cards today support it, so it won't be viable for games for a long time.

3. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

And even then, non-pow-2 textures work somewhat slower than pow-2 ones; you can't DXT compress them and they have a bunch of other negative effects. So at least for a while realtime graphics will still be using pow-2 textures.

4. taumel

taumel

Well at least you could offer to internally transform a non 2^x texture to one. So you would be free to just throw a texture in and let the tool take care of. No big deal, it's more comfort but can be handy if you deal a lot with non 2^x textures.

Greetings,

taumel

5. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

We could do that, but we would rather educate our users, so they don't end up with a bunch of suboptimal games...

It's a tradeoff, I guess. We do a some of these things for meshes, and we might do textures at some point as well....

6. taumel

taumel

Hi Nicholas,

you benefit at points where you take picture material you find somewhere and which is not thought as a texture from scratch or photowork for instance which you just can use and tryout before you have to make it a 2^x texture. At this point when trying out graphics i'm not after optimisations just after the effect so there you can spare time. Also not everytime you need the best performance, right?!

I would say it's a plus if it would be there. No one must use it but it makes things more handy...

Greetings,

taumel

7. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

If we make it just work, then people will use it all the time without knowing better. Having a Photoshop droplet that scales an image to 512x512 is not _that_ hard to do.

I'm not overly religious (about this point, that is ;-), just feel we have better things to do. If it's for dev. speed, there are things that make a MUCH larger difference once you work on a real-sized project, and as features go, it's doubtful return on investment.

8. taumel

taumel

I would agree that there are more important things to be done but i disagree that it won't be a time saver as from contract work i know that it's very helpful!

Greetings,

taumel

9. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

I think this is a perfect use for an Automator workflow. I have a few in Finder that for instance convert to jpeg... scale to 512x512...

edit: oh maybe this doesn't scale independently in both directions ;) Have to crop the images in some way pre or post scale. Or get some Photoshop automator plugin perhaps.

10. taumel

taumel

Hi aarku,

first starting an automator is a further step and hmm what should i say, for example take a project where the program reads in external data like textures so that the client still is able to change his content as he wants. Believe me there will be for 100% no matter how often you say it people who will use non 2^x textures and and and...

/me postulates: It is more handy!

Greetings,

taumel

By the way sw3d does it and believe me they didn't implement it for no reason.