Search Unity

Question OpenFPS project license question

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by BotDamian, Oct 3, 2021.

1. BotDamian

BotDamian

Hello dear Unity team and community,
    I want to make a project where I create a game and make the whole source code public, by that I mean the whole project for people to be able to edit it and create other FPS games out of it.

My question would be, is this idea against the Unity license?

I personally will not sell this game but make it available to play, have servers and ingame stuff like Skins to buy etc. But the game itself should be free to play and also open source.
    Open source doesn't mean GPL license, but people are allowed to use the source code as a template for other games.

2. Whatever you write and whatever is already open source can be open source and published (depending on the license you may need to keep the original copyright information / license and maybe even credit). Whatever isn't open source, like majority of Unity's source code and asset store assets cannot be make open source. You have no right to distribute that source code in any form, even if you have the right to use it otherwise. Read the license of the things you use, it tells you exactly what you can and cannot do.

3. BotDamian

BotDamian

So I'm allowed to share my code ok got it, people need to download the engine from the official website and then copy paste my project files from GitHub? Do project folders contain the unity engine?

You are aware that OpenSource just means the code itself is available to everyone. Something can be proprietary and still be open source. All Open Source means is that you can see the code and download it. Open Source doesn't give permission to edit the engine code, sell it etc.

4. Yes.
    If you ise github, then yes, but we prefer the proper tools, so clone the project or download it. Then add the project from disk through Unity Hub.
    No. Project folder contains project files, assets, cache and a bunch of metadata. You should use the proper Unity .gitignore though so you don't upload library folder for example.
    Oh boy. Yes, I'm aware. Are you aware that distribution means you're making it available? You cannot do that with other people's property without the authorization and/or rights to do that. You can't make code available to see or download code you don't have the proper license for. You can do with your code whatever you want though.
    Also normally you don't have the right to distribute Asset Store assets, so you should not publish those with your project but write an instruction that you are using them so the users should buy/download them from the Asset Store.