Search Unity

OpenFeint plugin that works in Unity 3.2

Discussion in 'Android' started by Wozik, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Wozik

Wozik

Hey there, we've updated the basic implementation of Open Feint accordingly to Unit 3.2 new JNI helper classes. Certainly it requires your own OpenFeint keys.

Please try it out and share your experience.

We provide it for free and we'd be really grateful for any contribution that makes sense.

Regards,
    Unity Android team

Attached Files:

2. DanTreble

DanTreble

Awesome, thank you Wozik :)

3. defjr

defjr

Fantastic! Much appreciated!

4. Joel-Santos

Joel-Santos

Thanks for this.

2 questions:
    -Does it work on editor?

-Do we need to compile anything?

5. spire8989

spire8989

I got the AdMob sdk working and it works great. I wrote my own version of this OpenFeint one before you did and it works fine.

But I'm having a problem when trying to use them both. It all works fine until it tries to push a notification of being signed in and then it force closes with a nullpointexception.

Code (csharp):
    1. 02-11 15:54:34.702: ERROR/AndroidRuntime(18928): FATAL EXCEPTION: main
    2. 02-11 15:54:34.702: ERROR/AndroidRuntime(18928): java.lang.NullPointerException
    3. 02-11 15:54:34.702: ERROR/AndroidRuntime(18928):     at com.openfeint.internal.notifications.SimpleNotification.createView(SimpleNotification.java:32)
    4. 02-11 15:54:34.702: ERROR/AndroidRuntime(18928):     at com.openfeint.internal.notifications.NotificationBase.checkDelegateAndView(NotificationBase.java:91)
    5. 02-11 15:54:34.702: ERROR/AndroidRuntime(18928):     at com.openfeint.internal.notifications.SimpleNotification.show(SimpleNotification.java:81)
    6. 02-11 15:54:34.702: ERROR/AndroidRuntime(18928):     at com.openfeint.internal.notifications.SimpleNotification.show(SimpleNotification.java:76)
    7. 02-11 15:54:34.702: ERROR/AndroidRuntime(18928):     at com.openfeint.internal.OpenFeintInternal$11$1.onResponse(OpenFeintInternal.java:909)
    8. 02-11 15:54:34.702: ERROR/AndroidRuntime(18928):     at com.openfeint.internal.request.RawRequest.onResponse(RawRequest.java:28)
    9. 02-11 15:54:34.702: ERROR/AndroidRuntime(18928):     at com.openfeint.internal.request.BaseRequest.onResponse(BaseRequest.java:273)
    10. 02-11 15:54:34.702: ERROR/AndroidRuntime(18928):     at com.openfeint.internal.request.Client$3.run(Client.java:147)
    11. 02-11 15:54:34.702: ERROR/AndroidRuntime(18928):     at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:587)
    12. 02-11 15:54:34.702: ERROR/AndroidRuntime(18928):     at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:92)
    13. 02-11 15:54:34.702: ERROR/AndroidRuntime(18928):     at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:143)
    14. 02-11 15:54:34.702: ERROR/AndroidRuntime(18928):     at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4701)
    15. 02-11 15:54:34.702: ERROR/AndroidRuntime(18928):     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
    16. 02-11 15:54:34.702: ERROR/AndroidRuntime(18928):     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:521)
    17. 02-11 15:54:34.702: ERROR/AndroidRuntime(18928):     at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:868)
    18. 02-11 15:54:34.702: ERROR/AndroidRuntime(18928):     at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:626)
    19. 02-11 15:54:34.702: ERROR/AndroidRuntime(18928):     at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

6. Curious

Curious

The plug-in works like a charm :D
    Thank you VERY muck guys

P.S: haven't tried to integrate AdMob and OpenFeint at the same time, but a fix for the problem that spire8989 mentioned would be awesome, I'm gonna integrate them both as well.

Regards

7. Joel-Santos

Joel-Santos

To answer my questions..

It only works on device and you don 't have to compile any thing

8. Enzign

Enzign

Hi and thanks for a great plugin i'm sure. As soon as i get it working. This should be pretty straight forward, but i keep getting some strange errors.
    JNI: Unable to find method id for 'isUserLoggedIn' (static)
    UnityEngine.AndroidJavaObject:CallStatic(String, Object[])
    OpenFeintFacade:isUserLoggedIn() (at Assets/Plugins/OpenFeintFacade.cs:29)
    OpenFeintTest:OnGUI() (at Assets/OpenFeintTest.cs:35)

JNI: Unable to find field id for 'currentActivity' (static)
    UnityEngine.AndroidJavaObject:GetStatic(String)
    OpenFeintFacade:Init(String, String, String, String) (at Assets/Plugins/OpenFeintFacade.cs:14)
    OpenFeintTest:OnGUI() (at Assets/OpenFeintTest.cs:32)

JNI: Init'd AndroidJavaObject with null ptr!
    UnityEngine.AndroidJavaObject:GetStatic(String)
    OpenFeintFacade:Init(String, String, String, String) (at Assets/Plugins/OpenFeintFacade.cs:14)

JNI: Unable to find constructor method id with signature '(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)V'
    UnityEngine.AndroidJavaObject:.ctor(String, Object[])
    OpenFeintFacade:Init(String, String, String, String) (at Assets/Plugins/OpenFeintFacade.cs:15)

And it goes on for a little while. The first one i get when i start the scene, and the others when i push "Initialize Openfeint".
    Any ideas what this could be?

9. Wozik

Wozik

joakim.hoglund, you're not trying to run the plugin in Editor, right?

10. Herman-Tulleken

Herman-Tulleken

I am very excited by this plugin - thank you!

However, so far I am unable to get it to work. When I build my project from Unity, I get an error:

Code (csharp):
    1. Building DEX Failed!
    2. C:\Work\SpaceFreight\UnityProject\Temp/StagingArea> java -Xmx1024M -Djava.ext.dirs="C:/SDK/android_sdk/android-sdk-windows\platform-tools/lib/" -jar "C:/SDK/android_sdk/android-sdk-windows\platform-tools/lib/dx.jar" --dex --verbose --output=bin/classes.dex bin/classes.jar plugins
    3. processing archive bin\classes.jar...
    4. processing com/android/vending/licensing/a.class...
    5. processing com/android/vending/licensing/b.class...
    6. processing com/android/vending/licensing/c$a$a.class...
    7. processing com/android/vending/licensing/c$a.class...
    8. processing com/android/vending/licensing/c.class...
    (and many more lines starting with processing)

The apk file still gets built, but on the device, I get these errors when running the test scene (I see the errors through adb logcat):

Code (csharp):
    1. W/mono    ( 1063): Missing method UnityEngine.AndroidJavaObject::GetCachedMethodID<[1]>(string,object[],bool) in assembly data-0x4b2cc008, referenced in assembly data-0x4b
    2. 2cc008
    4. I/Unity   ( 1063): MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'UnityEngine.AndroidJavaObject.GetCachedMethodID'.
    6. I/Unity   ( 1063):   at UnityEngine.AndroidJavaObject.CallStatic[Boolean] (System.String methodName, System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    8. I/Unity   ( 1063):   at OpenFeintFacade.isUserLoggedIn () [0x00000] in C:\Work\SpaceFreight\UnityProject\Assets\Plugins\OpenFeintFacade.cs:29
    10. I/Unity   ( 1063):   at OpenFeintTest.OnGUI () [0x000d7] in C:\Work\SpaceFreight\UnityProject\Assets\OpenFeintTest.cs:35
    Any ideas what I could do to get it to work?

-ht

11. Herman-Tulleken

Herman-Tulleken

OK, I got it to work (I had to wipe out the Library folder, for some reason).

12. Herman-Tulleken

Herman-Tulleken

Cool, you wanted to hear about our experiences, so here is mine:

Not being familiar with the way Java plugins work with Unity, the piece

Code (csharp):
    1. To build Java code use ANT:
    2.     * Update local.properties to match the location of you Android SDK
    3.     $ ant build-jar

confused me (I thought I had to build the Java first).
    Not a biggy, but you could say in the readme you only have to do this if you change the Java.

To get the thing to work in landscape mode, I *had* to change the Java, but could only get it to work after deleting (most) of my library folder (as with unlock the previous error). This is annoying behaviour, and slows thing down quite a bit. But if it cannot be changed, at least say that the step is necessary in the readme. (It took me quite a while before I tried it).

Finally, we have already integrated the Unity package for Openfeint on iPhone. It is annoying that the interfaces of these differ. Perhaps you could mimic what they have there (it is also a bit more consistent :p)

Overall, this still saved the day, other than the few things, It works like a charm.

- ht

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  13. Wozik

Wozik

well... calling Java from mono-powered C# is a potential bottleneck for people unfamiliar with Java and Android.
    At this point we're mostly targeting people who are ready to study Android docs and references.

These plugins for OpenFeint, AdMob and Mobclix (will appear here soon) are for a quick start.

At some point when we get lots of feedback, I guess we'll make a step-by-step easy tutorials so people unfamiliar with Java stuff and features could still use the plugins.

The reason is just because it's so easy to kill the performance with this.

14. Herman-Tulleken

Herman-Tulleken

I look forward to the updated tutorials and documentation. :)

15. Curious

Curious

16. Enzign

Enzign

@Wozik, it is when i run in the editor i get these errors. I did not work on the phone though, but just crashed when i started it, so i figured it had something to do with it. But then i know that these errors are "normal" when running in editor. I'll have to keep looking for what's really going on with the app when i run it on the phone. Thanks for the plugin. At least now i see a glimmer of hope to get openfeint working on android for my game. :)

17. Joel-Santos

Joel-Santos

It was working.. Now it stoped. Not an option. Any ideas?

18. scinfu

scinfu

There is Tutorial how to do plugins from 0 ?

19. Wozik

Wozik

there is. Currently it is available only to the beta testers, but expect to find it in the next public Unity release.

20. scinfu

scinfu

im in beta google group , but i can not see it . can you PM to the link ?

21. Herman-Tulleken

Herman-Tulleken

@joelsantos, try re-importing the compiled Java classes (it seems like that works, will also explain why deleting the library folder fixed it before).

22. robhuhn

robhuhn

Hi Wozik,

I wrote an OpenFeint plugin too and I would like to know if you had any problems with the of_native_loader_progress.xml animation?
    Because I can see the of_native_loader.png image but I can't see the animation of the green rotating circle within the box. May be you had a similar issue and fixed it.

23. Enzign

Enzign

Wozik, i have to say. Thank you so much for this one. I would never have implemented OF in the Android version of our game if it wasn't for this plugin. So once again, thank you very much.

24. Prakash

Prakash

Great work guys....will try both OpenFeint and Mobclix in same app.

25. Rom-

Rom-

Have you had any success with this?

I've gotten both plugins to work together, but after the first run, OpenFeint refuses to open again.

26. Prakash

Prakash

@brettcook99,

No I am trying it but still no success. Can you pls let me know steps for how to integrate both with source?

27. Rom-

Rom-

@Prakash

Here is a asset package with my plugin directory. It's setup for my game (rhythmracer) so you'll have to change the names around.

Attached Files:

28. creat327

creat327

Any idea how to get errors back from this?

Sometimes it fails to connect (internet down or whatever reason) so the game stays there waiting forever.
    I actually see the openfeint window telling me about some error, but I don't see a way to detect it from my code so it goes back to the main screen.

29. leebe

leebe

I'm having a problem with this package. And it is reproducible, but nobody else seems to have hit it. I am using just the "OpenFeintTest" only and this problem occurs on both Nexus One and Galaxy Tab.

On a clean install on an Android device. The first time I try to Init() OpenFeint, the "Loading Feint..." IntroFlow screen will appear on screen and the application will freeze here.

Tapping the screen will cause an error to appear eventually "Activity IntroFlow not responding", with 2 options "Force close" and "Wait". If I choose Force close, the application will quit and restart. From then on I can call Init() and it will work properly without freezing.

I am using Unity 3.3.0f3 with the Android license. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

30. Rom-

Rom-

I use ddms (Dalvik Debug Monitor) to get log messages from the phone. Look for it under the android-sdk/tools folder.

31. creat327

creat327

yes, I know how to do that. The question is how to get the errors from the code, not for my own personal enjoyment :)

Openfeint has a delegate for errors I believe, it's just not connected in the code.

I need the game to react to errors... if there was an error connecting, say so. Right now it just doesn't know so it keeps waiting. I can add somehow a manual timeout, but still it won't display the reason without me getting any messages from openfeint.

32. AdsySingle

AdsySingle

Hi all, I am new to this whole process, I just downloaded this package and am trying to get it to work but I'm not sure what I need to do to set it up. I am using EZGUI instead of any standard GUI so I'm not entirely sure what is happening in the sample package, or how to emulate it. Can anyone run through the steps that need to happen when you are initialising?

Also, I have set up my leaderboard and achievements. I can see in the sample that it is set up to send an achievment code when a button is pressed (I'm assuming that is to demonstrate) but to make sure I get it I would have some logic in my game manager that is monitoring the achievement and when it is achieved (say a certain score) you just call openFeint.SubmitAchievement(ID)? Do you control the logic for what achievements are unlocked? As in, do you use PlayerPrefs to store which ones have already been unlocked and only call the above line if they haven't unlocked it already? or does openfeint handle that themselves?

33. Darknuke

Darknuke

So I'm not understanding how to get this working properly. Do I need to copy over the sdk/assets, library, and res content to Unity? It looks like that's what the readme is asking, but then again, the Unity file has all that stuff in the plugins folder already so I don't see the point.

Right now I'm currently stuck in a similar place as other people. I hit initialize and get a bunch of JNI: Unable to find method id for "name" among other JNI notes.

Am I supposed to do something with ANT because that looked like it was for ANT users only.

I feel like I'm missing one step here. Can someone please explain how to get passed this JNI method error that others seem to be getting?

EDIT: Nevermind I'm retarded. Of course this only works on an actual phone and not the editor. Once I did that it worked fine heh.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  34. AdsySingle

AdsySingle

Ok, So I gave this a try. My app crashes when I call openFeint.OpenDashboard(); I think the first error in the logcat is HTTP request error: java.net.SocketTimeoutException. Any advice on setting this up would be great.
    Darknukem you got it working? What did you have to do?

*Edit*
    Here is what I have, I made a small change and it doesn't crash, but it doesn't open the dashboard either.

Code (csharp):
    2. if((name != null  key != null  secret != null  id != null)  !openFeint.isInitialized())
    4.         {
    6.             Debug.Log("All variables OK, openfeint not initialized");
    8.             if(!openFeint.isUserLoggedIn())
    10.             {
    12.                 Debug.Log("User is logged in about to call openFeint.Init()");
    14.                 openFeint.Init(appName, key, secret, id);
    16.             }
    18.         }
    I have this in my GameManager singleton class. It get's called without any problems. Originally I had if(openFeint.isUserLoggedIn()) but that meant it never got inside that loop, so I chaned it to the opposite. Init get's called and I get an error -17. Any idea what that might mean? Does it have something to do with the user not being logged into openfient? I don't really understand what is happening with the following lines in the sample:

Code (csharp):
    2. GUI.enabled = (name != null  key != null  secret != null  id != null )  !openFeint.isInitialized();
    3.         if (GUI.Button(new Rect(10,10,300,80), GUI.enabled ?
    4.                                                 "Initialize OpenFeint" :
    5.                                                 (openFeint.isUserLoggedIn() ?
    6.                                                     "OpenFeint Initialized" :
    7.                                                     (openFeint.isInitialized() ?
    8.                                                         "Initializing..." :
    9.                                                         "Error: Provide OpenFeint login data")
    10.                                                     )
    11.                                                 ))
    12.         {
    13.             openFeint.Init(name, key, secret, id);
    14.         }
    16.         GUI.enabled = openFeint.isUserLoggedIn();
    so I'm not sure how to recreate the same functionality in my own code

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  35. AdsySingle

AdsySingle

Well it suddenly started working, I can only assume that I was sitting in a bad spot and I couldn't establish a connection. This works perfectly, thank you so much guys. Still wondering about the logic though, do I handle monitoring which are unlocked? or do I send the SubmitAchievement() everytime and let openfeint handle it?

36. creat327

creat327

Openfeint 1.8 for android is out. Anyone managed to get it working on unity?

It would be nice to have a 1 package for unity, platform independent if some unity/openfeint guy wants to give it a try ;)

37. AdsySingle

AdsySingle

Tell me about it, that would be great. The openfeint facade package I got here works great, though I don't know what version of openfeint it uses, but I have been trying to get the iphone version working on my Unity iPhone version of my game with no luck. I can't figure out what files I am supposed to move into the xcode. Wish there was a way to automate it.

38. AdsySingle

AdsySingle

creat326: did you get the OF 1.8 Android working? Mine works fine, I had very little trouble getting it working. It's only the iphone version I can't get working.

39. creat327

creat327

Adsy, nope, were you able to build 1.8 and put it on the package? I didn't try since 1.7 was failing alot for me.

40. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

Got it working. Seems to lack some of the features advertised in the non-Unity version, but it works. :)

41. creat327

creat327

lostlogic, mind to post it?

Also, do you know if on the original package do we need all the resource folders and html files and stuff or with only the .jar file is enough?

42. collider

collider

I'm trying to get the screen orientation to change with my game.
    (1) Is the only way to change the orientation in the init?
    I guess I set the orientation with _settings below...

Code (csharp):
    2. public OpenFeintSettings(java.lang.String _name,
    3.                          java.lang.String _key,
    4.                          java.lang.String _secret,
    5.                          java.lang.String _id,
    6.                          java.util.Map<java.lang.String,java.lang.Object> _settings)
    I didn't know how to do a java.util.Map.
    I tried something like this:
    Code (csharp):
    2.     public void Init(string name, string key, string secret, string id, Hashtable options) {
    3.         using (AndroidJavaClass cls_UnityPlayer = new AndroidJavaClass("com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer")) {
    4.             using (AndroidJavaObject obj_Activity = cls_UnityPlayer.GetStatic<AndroidJavaObject>("currentActivity")) {
    5.                 using (AndroidJavaObject obj_OpenFeintSettings = new AndroidJavaObject("com.openfeint.api.OpenFeintSettings", name, key, secret, id, options)) {
    6.                     cls_OpenFeintFacade.CallStatic("Init", obj_Activity, obj_OpenFeintSettings);           
    7.                 }
    8.             }
    9.         }
    10.         calledInit = true;
    11.     }
    but
    (A) a hashtable isn't a HashMap
    (B) Then I didn't know how to declare OpenFeintSettings and ActivityInfo in the calling function
    options.Add(OpenFeintSettings.RequestedOrientation, ActivityInfo.SCREEN_ORIENTATION_LANDSCAPE);

(2) How do I change the orientation after init?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  43. TheGeoff

TheGeoff

I keep getting the following error.
    04-27 12:38:23.402: ERROR/AndroidRuntime(5450): Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.unity3d.Plugin.OpenFeintFacade in loader dalvik.system.PathClassLoader[.]

The test scene works fine. But other scenes I have in the same Project fail with the error above. I've tried re-importing the Android Pluging stuff but no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Geoff

44. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

Can someone please put a quick word down and point out how to do his (for us who-should-not-code-artists)? I imported the package, made the changes to manifest and openfeint scripts to match my application profile, keys and everything else but I get this error:

Code (csharp):
    1. JNI: Unable to find method id for 'isUserLoggedIn' (static)
    2. UnityEngine.AndroidJavaObject:CallStatic(String, Object[])
    3. OpenFeintFacade:isUserLoggedIn() (at Assets/Plugins/OpenFeintFacade.cs:29)
    4. OpenFeintTest:OnGUI() (at Assets/OpenFeintTest.cs:22)

45. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

Would be nice to have it in the editor as an asset package instead of the forums - and little to no real documentation.

46. TheGeoff

TheGeoff

Try adding
    Code (csharp):
    1. <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />
    to your AndroidManifest.xml file in the Plugins/Android folder

47. Enzign

Enzign

A quick question about the OpenFeintFacade.cs file. Is it possible to add more functions in there to be able to use some more of the functionality of OpenFeint? Could i just add a function or would i have to do some more stuff somewhere else? Specifically i need to use the functions to receive leaderboard information for separate leaderboards. Like the top scores and such.

48. Enzign

Enzign

I just found this page for everyone using Unity Android OpenFeint. I haven't tried it yet, but i looks promising!

49. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

The example works great.Will try adding it to a project now : )

it works like a charm

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  50. Enzign

Enzign

Doesn't have support for retrieving leaderboard information though. Anyone know what would needed to be done to get that working on android with unity?