Search Unity

Open World Terrain

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Turtlesoup4290, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Turtlesoup4290

Turtlesoup4290

The Open World Terrain tool for Unity is finally available on the Unity Asset Store!

Open World Terrain is a solution for creating large terrains and dynamically loading/unloading segments of the terrain and game objects at runtime as the player moves around the terrain.
    The tool converts one or more standard Unity terrain into a set of custom terrain mesh and LOD meshes which are then loaded and unloaded when required.

- Export terrains as mesh segments and dynamically load in terrain segments during runtime.

- Export game objects such as buildings, trees, people and specify at which LOD levels they should be loaded and unloaded.

- Grass and other details such as small rocks and bushes can be rendered efficiently using instanced mesh rendering and frustum culling, utilising compute shaders to dynamically place details onto the terrain at runtime.

- Export terrain textures, splatmaps, and detail maps.

- Automatically combines terrain meshes, textures, and maps into a set of easy to modify segment prefabs. Or use the exported meshes and textures as individual assets.

- Export multiple neighbour terrains in a single scene, or combine terrains from multiple scenes to create huge terrains without needing to edit them in the same scene.

- Control every aspect of the export process to find right balance of detail vs performance for you.

- Compatible with any terrain generation tools which modify the standard Unity Terrain such as Gaia.

Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  2. SirTwistedStorm

SirTwistedStorm

Do you have a solution for the floating point issue?

3. Turtlesoup4290

Turtlesoup4290

Wow... I only just came back to this and totally missed this message. Much belated answer, but if your referring to floating point issues with large position values then yes, the player will recenter back to 0,0,0 if they get too far and the terrain's position is updated to compensate. Since nothing has to be updated other than the root transformation everything just warps into place smoothly.

4. o1o101

o1o101

Interested in this, can I simply use this to separate 1 terrain into multiple meshes with LODs, and not use anything else, or is everything tied together?

I just want to convert my terrain to a mesh and use LODs, then use my existing rendering setups for everything else, ideally could remove the asset completely from the Unity project after converting the terrain to a mesh.

Also is the process painless when making changes to the original terrain and regenerating the meshes?

Cheers.