Search Unity

Open world script ?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by myka, Jun 21, 2012.

1. myka

myka

Ok so im creating an open world game but I don't know how I would go about the infinite terrain part :confused:. Any help ? Any scripts I can use ? Thanks in advance :D

2. Meltdown

Meltdown

There are no 'scripts' or magic bullets for this. You'll have to do some research into this and see what the best solution to implement in Unity is.

3. crucio777

crucio777

i think 3dbuzz guys are doing this in the mmo tutorials but it is a paid series

4. myka

myka

I have been researching this for a week and I can't find anything. That is why I resorted to the forums.

5. myka

myka

Can you give me a Link please ?

6. Meltdown

Meltdown

7. myka

myka

That isnt what im making. Its not an MMO. I am asking how to make an infinite world ? Like Skyrim/Oblivion ?

8. HolBol

HolBol

Read through that tutorial, and maybe you'll find the answer. Use some extrapolative thought ( or think outside the box). Think logically- what do you want to happen? What steps must you take to make that happen? Then write it in code.

9. myka

myka

Hmm ok :)

10. crucio777

crucio777

i know it is an mmo but they are approaching to make Infinite like world with very less draw calls it is in the first chapter they generate everything via code coz terrain gives you more draw calls i am currently doing their tutorials anyway your call :D

11. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

Also note that open world and infinite world are very different things. I don't know of any game that has an infinite world. Skyrim's world is just very large (and built by hand, not generated via code afaik) whereas something like Minecraft is procedural but still not infinite (although it is very very big).

12. crucio777

crucio777

it generates via code but i think it gives opt to build a proper terrain it will take a long time to setup and i just started it and i haven't actually completed it yet so i cannot tell you if that is worth it or not

13. myka

myka

hmmm ok.

14. fr0x

fr0x

@crucio777

If you've just started coding the chapter 1 terrain stuff then I have to warn you that by chapter 5 it almost all gets scrapped and started from scratch.
    It's worth following along for the learning experience though.

15. myka

myka

Ok well we have just decided to make a HUGE piece of terrain :D

16. Meltdown

Meltdown

Take a look at World Machine. It's a great tool for making big terrains. And has a free version.
    There are some tutorials on YouTube that show you how to import it.

17. myka

myka

Alrighty then, Ill look at it right now :D