Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Open Web Player testing of Unity 3.4 [mark 2]

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by neonleif, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

Ahaahah! Nice!

2. zine92

zine92

Hmm.. I guess this thread should still be used for reporting the status of web-player working and not urging them to release them, i guess.

3. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Right. I still remember what happened to an old developer who tried to urge last unity release...
    $tromaktiko.jpg

I will wait patiently for this Unity release, having full faith in Unity developers. And their sense of humor.

( Sorry for perturbing this serious thread with my irrelevant sense of humor, please do not send the police after me too, i am even less a threat than this old man )...

Jokes aside: Like previous versions of web player, there is an erratic behaviour, not - so - easy to reproduce unfortunately. In firefox 5.1 MacOSX 10.6.7 ( as well in windows and older versions of firefox), sometimes the following happens :
    When I open a web page that contains unity web player files ( i.e Thyella from my signature ) and change / open another tab before the download completes, the player occasionally crashes.
    It also happens if I use the " open Link in a new Tab " option and go later on the opened page.
    If I reload it, all is fixed. I have noticed this in many web pages across the web, it doesn't happens always but it happens.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  4. WolfoX

WolfoX

Safari 5, MacOS 10.6.8 - Working fine.
    Chrome 12, Win7 - Working fine.

5. CrunchingKoalas

CrunchingKoalas

Mac OSX - 10.6.8 :

Safari 5.0.5 - works
    Chrome - 12.0.742.122 - works
    Firefox 3.6.13 - works
    Opera - 11.50 - problem : loads - nothing visible, when going fullscreen - ok.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think I can spot you there near the front!

Hahaha Ippokratis watch out Unity might go on strike....!

7. zine92

zine92

Erm. You tried other browsers other than firefox? I was having problems myself with the older version. Now using beta 6.0 and previously the unity web file can't even load. I thought somethings wrong with my webplayer but it works fine in other browsers. Then i got to reinstalling but it didn't work till i upgraded from 5.0 to 6.0. Try other browsers and report back. :D

8. konyi

konyi

Hi!

Autoupdate worked, but i have found a problem with the eval() command in the beta WebPlayer. A made a small test:

Code (csharp):
    2. function OnGUI()
    3. {
    4.     if (GUI.Button(Rect(10,10,120,30), "Test eval")) {
    5.         eval("GameObject.Find(\"/Cube\").GetComponent(Renderer).enabled = false");
    6.     }
    7. }
    The code above finds the Cube object and hides it (disables its renderer component) when you click on the button.

This works perfectly in the current WebPlayer but in the beta nothing happens. We often use the eval() command in WebPlayer <-> browser communication, it is very important to us.

You can try the test here: http://julesx.hu/cubetest/WebPlayer.html

9. joshimoo

joshimoo

10. zine92

zine92

True. Nothings happening when i clicked eval.

11. nathan3228

nathan3228

WORKS in IE9, Google Chrome and Firefox Windows 64bit

12. Farfarer

Farfarer

13. zine92

zine92

It hides the cube in ur case? I am using Opera 11.50 and win 7 x64 but it isn't hiding the cube.

14. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Didn't work for me, the cubes still visible
    Tried it on Win 7x64
    Firefox 5, Chrome 12.0.742, And Opera 11.11
    The eval button do notin

15. kenshin

kenshin

16. Zacker

Zacker

Everything appear to work nicely here.

17. boribhi

boribhi

It's working normally, but the version number is "3.4.0f3" not "3.4.0f2".
    Vista 32-bit, Chrome.
    :cool:

18. eTag96

eTag96

same here, iMac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 Safari

19. jmpp

jmpp

Maybe UT is pushing out a new release candidate...? IIRC, some poeple here (including myself) reported not being able to see the Unity logo in the f2 test.

Regards,

- jmpp

20. zine92

zine92

Hmm mine's still f2.

21. FierceForm

FierceForm

Autoupdater shows 3.4.0f3 on Mac OS X 10.7, Safari, Google Chrome, and Firefox.

Same on Windows 7 64-bit, Google Chrome, IE.

konyi's test work on none of these.

All web browsers are the latest release.

konyi, now they have another reason to delay the release. =/

EDIT: Eval works fine in my tests, are you sure you did it right?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  22. ralfkaka

ralfkaka

Windows 7 64bit. Chrome.
    work well!

23. konyi

konyi

Yes, i think so. It's a very simple application contains a Cube object, a Camera and this script attached to the cube:

Code (csharp):
    2. function OnGUI()
    3. {
    4.     if (GUI.Button(Rect(10,10,120,30), "Test eval")) {
    5.         eval("GameObject.Find(\"/Cube\").GetComponent(Renderer).enabled = false");
    6.     }
    7. }
    I have tried to build with Unity 3.3 Free (on my laptop) and Unity 3.3 Pro (on a desktop computer). Both computers run Windows Vista x64 SP2 hungarian localized version.
    The built application works with 3.3 webplayer plugin but fails with 3.4.0f2 and f3. I tried with the latest browser versions (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera).
    If i build a windows standalone it works fine.

24. konyi

konyi

Some additional information. In the webplayer log i get this message:

It seems to be a GetComponent/typecasting issue (only when called via eval)

When i use the 'as' operator it's working fine in beta:

Code (csharp):
    1. eval("(GameObject.Find(\"/Cube\").GetComponent(Renderer) as Renderer).enabled = false");
    Phew :)

25. monark

monark

Damn, just noticed this and tried it out. There is a bug on the Mac. It was fine in the last beta but this one is broken.

I see today too that this version has been made live. It's great having these pre-releases to test but why do you rely on us hunting the forum. Would it kill you to email the users especially Pro users saying please try this first?

We having paying customers and every release I have found issues on the day of release that have to be fixed, worked around or we have to email customers saying sorry about. It's not good enough Unity.

Bug reported: case 413029

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  26. monark

monark

Seems that orthographic cameras from Unity2.6.1 builds are all screwed up on the Mac in the latest player. Nightmare.

27. monark

monark

Might have found a solution. Just as with the last update of the player, you have to manually uninstall and then re-install to get it to work. Interestingly on my MacBook Pro all I had to do was manually install from www.unity3d.com without un-installing first. I used the universal binary installer and that was fine. On my Mac Mini I had to un-install and then just let the auto install process happen. If I manually install either the universal binary or the intel only one, it still won't work.
    All of which is going to be a support headache and not a good user experience.

28. Jaimi

Jaimi

We're seeing some graphical glitches on the WebPlayer 3.4 with the latest Macbook Pros (AMD 6750 and the AMD 6490). Looks strange - some sort of issue with square chunks not appearing.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/101642-Unity-and-AMD-Radeon-cards

3ddude has shown the errors here quite well:

http://img691.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=20110806202423.png

Note that this does NOT happen in the editor or standalone builds, just something with the web player. This did not happen with previous versions of the web player.

29. tannga1

tannga1

The web player doesnt work with vista correctly. On my sis old computer windows xp it works fine; on the website it says 3.4 f5 on my sis comp. But on my computer it says 3.4 f3 on the website. On my dads mac it says 3.4 f5 and its up to date. When will vista be compatiable? Any unity game i play it works for 1 min and after that the games fps rate drops super low. Its as if the old data from game play never got erased, its almost as if its a memory leak. My computers drivers are all up to date and it has 4 freakin processors-my computer is fine.!- so whats the problem?

30. alewinn

alewinn

Works

Windows 7 - 64b
    Firefox 8.0

31. Baste

Baste

Yo you really ought to start adding replies to 10 year old threads by new users to a mod queue rather than just letting them happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.