Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Open testing of the Unity 3.4 webplayer

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by neonleif, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

It works for me, I've Win 7 64bit home edition....

2. SONB

SONB

Worked on Chrome 12.0.742.91, Windows 7 32bit home premium.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

same here, but with 64bit

4. CreativeChris

CreativeChris

Unity Technologies

Hello,

Thanks for testing this on a broad range, much appreciated!

Please can you submit a bug report regarding what failed and how this failed for you?

Thanks,
    Chris

5. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Win7 x64, worked fine on Firefox 3.6 - haven't updated to 4, no delicious toolbar yet for it.

6. ant001

ant001

worked on: macosx 10.7, mbp 2.3ghz, 8gb ram, solid mumble.
    the fox4, safari5, chrome12

7. jmpp

jmpp

So you're basically testing if the Plugins we have installed (and browsers using them) can handle content authored with Unity 3.4, right? No silent, stealth update of our installed plugins, right? That would be very scary if it were possible!

Regards,

- jmpp

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Why should they ever be informed of this? they already agreed to the plugin, why pester them needlessly with more agreements and buttons? its so out of date thinking, its unreal. Stuff should just be smoothly updated. For example I don't want to know if flash has an update with warning lights, I just want flash to be always up to date. Don't you?

9. Dreamcube017

Dreamcube017

When I click on the link I get this.

I'm not sure if that's what I'm suppose to be seeing. I see the unity logo come in and out at the bottom right near teh beginning.

Is that right?

Win7 32-bit with Chrome.

10. CodeCody

CodeCody

Actually my numbers where made from what people on this thread have reported as working fine so far. Right now the only two left to check for windows are safari and opera on a vista.

Updated my post for more info on where I got my browser and operating system data.

11. CreativeChris

CreativeChris

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Yes that is correct, your player has updated to 3.4.0b4 which is what we are expecting everyone to see! :)

Thanks,
    Chris

12. sam1234

sam1234

Works for me.
    Safari, OSX 10.6.7
    MacbookPro 8,3 Core i7, 17"

13. shinobu_siv

shinobu_siv

It works fine on Mac OSX 10.6.7 - Rockmelt 0.9.56.357 (39c6819)

It says "Version of runtime 3.4.0b4" in a top left corner, "Unity 3 Beta" in a bottom right corner.

perfect!

14. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Works fine with me,
    Win 7 64 ultimate
    Firefox, Chrome, Opera

15. Tiles

Tiles

Well. I have agreed to the plugin, i have already installed it. Correct. But what when a new version breaks a old game? This may not be the case with the current point upgrades. But it will happen sooner or later. What when a new version installs stuff that i don`t want to have installed? What if this new version contains a bug that even breaks whole functionality until the next patch arrives?

That a user needs to be notified about updates has to do with the illusion that a PC user wants control over what is installed at his pc. Yes, sure, it is a illusion. But i don`t install Windows updates blindly neither. More than once they forced me to install nonsense like IE as an "important" update. And i always check for known problems before i install a new flash update. I had my fun with bugs before. You seem to lack of such experience, lucky you :)

Anyways. A silent install is simply a sign of bad manners in my opinion. Users should always be notified about changings at their system by default. And a plugin update is such a changing. At least a short message that Unity Web player has been updated to new version should pop up :)

16. kenshin

kenshin

Works fine for me.
    Win XP: IE8, FF4, Chrome12

17. mbahadirb

mbahadirb

Works fine with XP ie, chrome, ff

18. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

It is indeed a stealth ninja update of the engine. While it is obviously possible that a new version introduces bugs, this is the very reason that each version spends a long time in alpha and beta before release.

Regarding backwards compatibility, this is obviously something we are very aware of. Read this post for an indication of just how much that is: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2010/01/12/on-web-player-regression-testing/

19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You are a bit out of date in your thinking and I can't help but think that in general, this attitude needs to be eliminated. I am not attacking your right to think for yourself, merely commenting on it.

Lets discuss for a moment: you argue that it WILL break stuff. Has flash broken stuff in the last 5 years? No, it has only disabled things which were security risks, and in all honesty, if they silently updated as standard, a lot less people would have experienced stolen login details and passwords.

Dude, its a WEB player. Everyone else on the planet would be playing a broken version of your game while you're the only one left with his hands over his eyes going "nananananana it works on my machine". What you speak of is insane. And in this case, it is what standalone builds are for.

In any case if things did break, thats the responsibility of the company to get fixed - and fast. And I have faith unity feel strongly that they would like it fixed. It should never be the user's responsibility to fix things or check. Those companies who gave you those bad experiences - thats their fault.

Windows update isn't a single program update. It is a service that recommends updates and additions by default.

Mac OS doesn't update like this. It simply only ever updates what you have installed. It doesn't ram crap down your throat you don't want added. When it is ready to install, it asks you if you are ready. You can choose to postpone or not (as it can distrupt what you are working on).

In unity's case, you want to play the latest game with minimum fuss online - auto updating is ideal and should be default behaviour. Perhaps unity settings can have a tickbox that requires the user to accept.

Absolutely :) a little slide on and off indicating updated to version x would be a nice touch indeed.

Don't forget unity isn't unique here. MMO's don't give you any choice - you update or you don't play. In fact they update without your authorisation - they just do it. You don't have a choice.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  20. Jeffmaliboe

Jeffmaliboe

So what will actually be "new" in Unity 3.4 ?

21. cannon

cannon

While I appreciate how this makes things easier for the home user, I'm with Tiles on this one.

The Unity web player was just recently approved for USAF and US Army use; I can't imagine them taking kindly to software auto-installing on their systems that haven't been vetted by their internal IT.
    The same goes for other corporate networks that have tight control over their internal installations, this behaviour will very likely raise a red flag.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  22. Tiles

Tiles

Hippocoder, can it be that you mix my comment with a direct attack at Unity and you? Your "comment" is a clear attack into my direction. To declare it to a non-attack doesn`t really hide this fact. What you write here may be your opinion, and of course i totally disagree with most of it. But i would never think about putting you into the corner of being outdated and dumb as you do with me here just because i disagree with you. That`s a bit too much agression you show here. Please stop that.
    I argue that it CAN break stuff. And, as told, it DID break things here in the past. I talk about self discovered experience. With Flash, with other software and their updates, with Plugins, with Windows and Linux. To use your nasty way of argumentation: Not my fault that you are this unexperienced that it never happened to you. Your way of thinking is outdated, and i think that this attitude needs to be elimin ... errr ;)

Says everybody who delivers updates. But even the best programmer is in the end just human.

I still think that silent updates is a very unfriendly behaviour, and that at least a little message should be shown to report the update :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2011
  23. jmpp

jmpp

I second that! And extend it: not only unfriendly, but also a *huge* security concern if my initial reading of the situation is correct; on the Mac, browser plugins live at the /Library/Internet\ plug-ins path, which is a system wide thing, and if any installation process can gain access to it without first requesting and being granted the proper permission then there's something rather fishy going on here.

Inspecting the hierarchy within the Unity\ Web\ Player.plugin does indeed reveal that some components were modified on June 10, which is when I visited the Unity 3.4 beta testing page we're discussing here:

Code (csharp):
    2.  -> ls /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/Unity\ Web\ Player.plugin/Contents/Frameworks/
    3. total 0
    4. drwxrwxrwx@ 3 jmpp  wheel   102B Jun 10 13:22 Mono3.x.x-i386.bundle/
    5. drwxrwxr-x  3 root  admin   102B Mar  2 05:14 Mono3.x.x.bundle/
    6. drwxrwxrwx@ 3 jmpp  wheel   102B Jun 10 13:21 UnityPlayer3.x.x-i386.bundle/
    7. drwxrwxr-x  3 root  admin   102B Mar  2 05:13 UnityPlayer3.x.x.bundle/
    I'll quickly sign off and concede that we're all developers here and that we agreed to test some beta software, but it'd still be great to know how this stealth update worked, how it got access to system wide installation paths without even asking us for permission (regardless of my ownership of the modified files) and, even if we were to waive all that, it would be really nice to have some sort of a warning/explanation/notice/whatever telling us what's going to happen upon opening the test page.

And about us being developers and being more open to this type of thing... is this how plug-in updating is going to happen (or maybe even already happens) for the public at large...? I can hardly see that sitting well with herds of security minded users, institutions, corporations, etc, etc, etc.

I really don't want to sound inflammatory here, you have no idea how much I appreciate Unity and how much I've enjoyed using it and seeing it evolve in my about-year-and-a-half here, but I can't help perceiving this stealth update thing as a tad scary and would definitely appreciate some clarity on the issue.

Thanks in advance! Regards,

- jmpp

24. macdude2

macdude2

Nope, that is exactly what the scene is intended to do. It works here with macbook pro 2010, safari 5.0.5. By the way, will this update fix the problem with apps getting rejected from apple because of crashing?

25. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

The Unity web player has always auto-updated between minor versions. I can assure you that every security evaluation we have had of the plugin, including the one mentioned earlier from the American military, evaluated this feature of the plugin as well.

Auto updating is not something unique to this particular webplayer. The plugin always evaluates it's ability to run the webplayer served up by your web server and collects necessary upgrades from our network if needed.

This means that once an end user has the Unity plugin installed, we make sure that they can run your webplayers - regardless of when they installed the plugin and which version you built your webplayer with.

Again, do read through the blog post I linked earlier for information on just how seriously we take plugin compatibility with your products.

26. monark

monark

Whilst I agree that you do take this issue seriously, it is worth pointing out in the interests of full disclosure that things have been broken after every major release despite the regression testing program. My hope is that lesson have been now learned and that situation will/has improved.

27. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

True. Major releases are the points where we allow ourselves to break backwards compatibility. Projects need to be fixed up (although we automatically upgrade them as much as possible) and new webplayer builds use a separate plugin runtime.

Only minor releases share the same runtime, which we rigorously test for backwards compatibility - among a range of other tests.

Speaking of tests, this thread was originally intended for public testing of the autoupdate functionality. I suggest you start a new thread on this topic if you wish to further discuss it. We would like to be able to easily collect test results from this thread.

28. Legendman3

Legendman3

Works fine in Firefox 6.0a2(2011-6-13)

29. leonardoaraujo

leonardoaraujo

Worked nice on my Win 7 64 bits (IE 8, Chrome 12.0.742) Also worked on Windows XP 32 bits (Chrome 12.0.742)

30. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Works here too. Firefox 4.0.1, OSX 10.6.7, MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.66 GHz.

31. jmpp

jmpp

Don't really mean to hijack the thread, very sorry about that. But I do find the whole stealth updating thing a tad scary. Any chance the plugin will be "enhanced" in some future release to at least inform users when it's updating itself?

Regards,

- jmpp

32. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Works fine:
    Firefox 4.0.1
    Win 7 64 SP1

33. Esila

Esila

Unity 3.4 will include flash exporter???

34. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Thanks for your interest, but this is not the 3.4 release announcement thread. Details about the release will be made available at a later time.

You do have a very valid request. I suggest you start a discussion thread on the issue to gauge the attitude of the rest of the community on this point and based on the outcome of this, create an entry on feedback.unity3d.com.

35. ikriz

ikriz

Auto update works fine for me.. so far all projects are also fine :) In Chrome and Internet Explorer :)

Running Vista 64bit

36. darek

darek

Blue screen with 3.4.0b4.
    Macbook Air ( GeForce 320M ), Snow Leopard, Safari 5.0.5

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  37. Tiles

Tiles

So you really need to be convinced that a silent install is bad? Wow. *removes a good noodle star from Unity*

38. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

I do too, I don't quite see a problem with it!

39. Metron

Metron

Ok here...

Win7 64 bit
    AMD HD5870
    Chrome V12

40. jmpp

jmpp

It doesn't bother you at all that a process you start for one purpose (viewing content) performs such a delicate action as updating *executable* code in *system-wide* installation paths without requesting your permission... hey, without even *informing* you, for that matter? If that doesn't raise even a single hair in your eyebrows then I guess you simply do not care about system integrity, intrusion, privacy, security... about basically a very long list of the most basic ingredients of software digital security (which I'm not claiming Unity is infringing on, just to be clear).

We all love and trust Unity here, and we know they're not gonna do anything rogue, but it's a problem of basic principles and good manners... what if the content viewer you're firing up is not Unity's but some malicious executable to whom you just granted system-wide access *just* by opening some web page? Were silent updates not to exist (yeah, I do *hate* Google Chrome's mechanism!) and respectable companies like UT to at least inform you of pending updates, you'd then be inclined to be wary of anyone performing a silent update right underneath your nose... and this is precisely where UT is setting a bad precedent with this behavior in their plug-in, in my opinion.

Regards,

- jmpp

41. kronholm

kronholm

Works!

Win7 64bit.
    * Opera 11.11.
    * Firefox 3.6.6.
    * IE 9 and IE9 in IE8+IE7 emulation mode.
    * Chrome 12.0.742.100.

42. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

@jmpp

I only care about system integrity when it is not my own system... I guess you're right lol.

43. BryceS

BryceS

I think I might have a problem that's related to the beta web-player... I saw this thread and updated mine and it worked fine and then I forgot about it, until just now when I was checking on the status of one of my games on Kongregate... Theres a GUI scrollview in that game that is screwed up and I'm thinking its the beta player, as the problem wasn't occurring a couple of days ago before I updated(and its the same file still on Kongregate), it works fine in the editor, and I haven't received any comments/bug reports about it.

The game can be seen here: http://www.kongregate.com/games/BryceSummer/song-builder-beta although you need a kongregate account to actually play it and reproduce the bug. If you have a kongregate account and can play it, here how to reproduce the error: click on "browse other users songs" from the main menu, this should bring you to a song browser interface, click on load more or simply scroll down, and you'll see that the scrollview isn't properly clipping it's contents.

I'm going to try and make a test project with just this bug isolated right now... I'll post back with the results of that.

edit: Okay, I've isolated the bug into a test project here: http://www.brycesummer.com/random/ScrollBugTest/ . In the beta player, the scrollview doesn't clip it's contents but on my other computer, with the non-beta player, it works fine.

The project is basically just the following c# script attached to a camera in an otherwise empty scene:
    Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    5. public class TestGUI : MonoBehaviour {
    7.     private Vector2 scrollPos = Vector2.zero;
    9.     void OnGUI()
    10.     {
    11.         GUI.BeginGroup(new Rect(0, Screen.height/2 - 250 + 20, Screen.width, 380));
    13.         scrollPos = GUI.BeginScrollView(new Rect(0, 40, Screen.width, 300), scrollPos, new Rect(0,0,Screen.width - 20,50 * (102)));
    15.         for (int i = 0; i < 100; i++)
    16.         {          
    17.             GUI.Label(new Rect(0, i * 25, 150, 20), "Test Content");
    18.         }
    20.         GUI.EndScrollView();
    22.         GUI.EndGroup();
    23.     }
    24. }
    If you need me to upload the test project I can surely do that, just tell me.

Also, I'm using windows 7 64 bit and Google chrome... Tell me if you need any more information.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  44. Steph23

Steph23

It works under Windows XP 32
    Push on red button!

45. MIke ekim

MIke ekim

Windows XP, Internet explorer started the update and the progress bar was progressing but then I got the following message:

Failed to update Unity Web Player
    Error Details Install Manually

I clicked on Error Details and the following was displayed in a pop-up box:
    A newer version of the Unity Web Player is required, but the auto-update failed.
    Failed to apply auto-update.
    Please install manually.

EDIT: I previously had Unity open in another tab and I closed that tab but apparently I had to completely close the browser and restart it, then it auto-installed fine.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  46. MIke ekim

MIke ekim

Auto update worked fine for me, Windows XP SP3, IE and FireFox.

FYI, Epic Tower Defense seems to be working fine in both browsers after the update. (Now I'll be up all night; I never could beat the island...)

I looked at your example before and after the update, and I see differences in how the content is displayed. Before the update all text was completely displayed but now some text is clipped.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  47. TheOddworks

TheOddworks

I can't seem to access the page:

Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to files.unity3d.com

tried reloading twice and also tried it in safari.

I'm on a:

Mac os 10.6.7
    2.7 i7

sorry...

cheers!

48. naxos

naxos

Works here, but i got an antivirus error :

Avira :
    Dans le fichier 'C:\Users\claudio gallego\AppData\Local\Temp\UnityWebPlayer\Unity-WebPlugin-Self-0e7b3da56503be49aac25bc12e9d54ba\UnityWebPlayerUpdate.exe'
    un virus ou un programme indésirable 'TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen3' [trojan] a été détecté.
    Action exécutée : Refuser l'accès

49. Leonsito

Leonsito

First test with Firefox 5, no problem.

I'm on Win7 64 Professional.

50. 3D_Content

3D_Content

Not working:

Mac X 10.6.7
    Opera 11.11

Only fullscreen works, but otherwise page is white. When I rotate my mouse over Unity window, it begins to flicker. I have had same problem before 3.4 beta.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.