Search Unity

Open testing of the Unity 3.2 webplayer

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by AngryAnt, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Greetings, uniteers!

So we're getting really close to pushing out version 3.2 of everyones favorite game development platform. As per usual, we have had our awesome beta testing group beat the build senseless - squeezing out as many puny bugs for the flying ninjas to squash as possible.

However, before we hit the big red button of awesome, we would like to have all you guys load up our new webplayer and see if your content plays back as brilliantly as it did in 2.6.1 and 3.1. If you do encounter any problems with your content, please load up the bug reporter, file a bug and reply here with the case number.

Ah, and now on to the crazy complex steps for installing the new webplayer:
    1. Load up http://files.unity3d.com/emil/AutoUpdateTest/ in your favorite web browser.

Do notice that this is a beta build, so its version will not be caught by the usual version checking page. So if you do want to make sure that you are running the 3.2 player, we've set up another version check which does connect to the beta player. We are only updating the player and not the plugin, if the version check page reports a different plugin version than 3.2, this is fully expected.

To infinity and beyond!

2. burnumd

burnumd

Webplayer hangs Safari: Case 390844
    Thanks!

3. Hans

Hans

working fine in chrome ...... so far :)

4. KyleStaves

KyleStaves

Plugin version: 3.1.0f4

Unity 2.x version: 2.6.1f3

Unity 3.x version: 3.2.0f3

5. 3dDude

3dDude

The loading bar got to about the t in unity then it stopped... I had to restart my browser ( safari )
    Cant wait for 3.2! I saw a lot of new updates for pro but not many for basic? Are there some for basic to?

6. FierceForm

FierceForm

I tested it using Opera, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, and IE 89 32-bit on Windows, and Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Camino and Opera on Mac OS X. Using Opera with OS X 10.6 on my Mac Mini (last gen, lowest spec) caused some weird rendering errors, but everything else seemed to work fine.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  7. monark

monark

Finally working in Firefox on the Mac which is good, but I still have an issue in Chrome where half my ui is missing, already reported some time ago Case 383930

8. allanw

allanw

I tested it in firefox on Windows 7 64bit and it worked great, appears to run smoother than 3.1 which is great!!

9. Pixelstudio_nl

Pixelstudio_nl

No problems om chrome

10. monark

monark

I've found the problem but not the solution. Basically where I call a function from inside OnGUI() it never returns.
    So for example I call out to a shortcuts() function to test for key presses and it doesn't seem to ever return. So any gui built after the shortcuts() call just never appears. If I put return; at the top of the shortcuts() function suddenly up pop the missing gui, that is until it hits another call to a function..... annoying.

11. monark

monark

Ok I've found the issue, for some reason an Application.ExternalCall() function is not working on Chrome and that was messing up all sorts of variable initialisations. So there is some Chrome nastiness going on just not what I thought.

12. burnumd

burnumd

What you're describing sounds like the same problem I have, only in Safari. After a few minutes the GUI stops responding and hangs Safari. I hadn't tied it to ExternalCall before, but we do make a fair number of those.

13. monark

monark

One other thing I will also say is everything seems to run much slower in Chrome on the mac compared with Safari. Anyone else notice that?

14. monark

monark

I pinned down the bug in Chrome.... all answered in this thread

ExternallCall

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.