Search Unity

Assets [OPEN TEST] Introducing Amplify Painter - Experimental

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello everyone,

Here at Amplify Creations we strive to create tools that make the process of developing beautiful games as easy and fun as possible. With that in mind, we started developing a brand new tool which we think many of you will enjoy working with.

We’re happy to announce our latest plugin, Amplify Painter. This is a painting tool which lets you instantly paint objects in Unity and see the results on the fly over the engine’s pipeline and lighting conditions.

We still have a long way to go, Amplify Painter is still in experimental stages. It's very important to us that it grows and shapes up around our community’s collective wisdom. Your feedback is key during this stage so we’re launching this experimental version completely FREE.

The reason we decided to work on our own texture painting tool, with so many already in the market, is because we have our own vision of where texture painting tools are heading, and Unity integration is imperative. As such, this build represents only a fraction of what we actually intend this tool to become in the long term. We are merely laying the foundations of what’s to come.

Be part of the evolution. Tell us what you like or dislike. What you need. If you’re a seasoned artist, your feedback is paramount. Help us steer this ship in the right direction.

Here’s a sneak peek of what this build can and can’t do. It's important to note that almost anything can, and most likely will, change based on your feedback.

Current features:
    • Painter/Eraser Tool
    • Configurable brush with pen support
    • Create custom channels
    • Channel auto-configuration for standard surface materials
    • Multiple layers per channel
      • Create
      • Destroy
      • Reorder
      • Per-channel layer control
      • Smart Fill layers
    • Paint on multiple views
      • Scene
      • Custom 3D
      • Custom 2D

Coming soon:
    • Undo
    • Amplify Painter asset save/load; this asset will store all your layers in a non-destructive manner - you’ll have to export/import results as textures for now.

Known issues:
    • General painting performance issues in some situations.
    • Pen pressure currently not supported in OSX.
    Notes:
    • Requires Unity 2019.1

Get Amplify Painter: THANKS FOR TESTING - EXPERIMENTAL RELEASE PERIOD ENDED
    Manual and Tutorials:
    Amplify Wiki

Join our Discord channel!

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Looks good. I guess you have feels about graphine or something. In any case we'll give it a try, why not. No voxel sculpting though ? :)

3. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Great work guys! Next UV Wrap Un Wrap simplified please.

4. neoshaman

neoshaman

add expanding padding color on UV island ASAP :D
    great job too the more reason to not switch app, the better, just copy substance, also add a bake option to ampliphy node shader to generate texture!!!!

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  5. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

Looks like a pretty damn good start. :D
    Does it have symmetry?

6. djgriff

djgriff

Nice i have been looking for one of these for a while now. Will this support texture painting to an object? something similar to terrain painting?
    Cheers

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  7. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks! Graphine?
    No sculpting for now but we're going to post additional details about our upcoming features soon. Let us know if you have any requests, we want to shape this tool based on what the community needs.

Thanks! That would be very handy for Unity created Assets.

Padding will definitely help!

You can actually drag shader onto smart fill layers and bake them into the textures; it's still a bit rough but I think you can see the possibilities ;)

Thanks! Not yet but it's coming, we have A LOT planned for it.

Awesome! Yes, it's a texture authoring tool, you can paint directly into on your object and export the resulting textures for use with any shader; no terrains for now.

Keep the feedback coming, we're looking forward to learning more about your requirements!

ProtoPottyGames likes this.
  8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well Unity bought them and have an integration in progress so I imagined rather than battling workflows people might use amplify painter :p

9. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Oh, that Graphine. gotcha! I was wondering if you were referring to the 3dsMax tools. I haven't kept up-to-date on their most recent work, are they working on painting related tools?

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't know at all. But from what I can guess from insights I'd say no, more like procedural splatting, streaming and so on like we chatted about in 2015 when I was dumb enough to go for open worlds. It's pretty much a huge relief Unity owns Graphine now though... no worries.

So it's interesting what you're up to :p

11. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Cool, makes sense, it's a good application for it. I remember that, crazy how things changed; we've actually thought about doing the painter a few years back but I'm glad we waited for the right time and the right team.

antoripa and hippocoder like this.
  12. thelebaron

thelebaron

Fantastic, always wanted something like this in Unity.

Only had a brief chance to play around but would love to see:
    - options to disable texture filtering on the material and brush(for low poly/stylised diffuse only painting would be very handy)
    - option to always have the color picker and/or color palettes open
    - ability to save/load color palettes
    - ability to focus on a point and change the point of camera orbit(for now just seems to rotate at the center of the object)
    - might sound sacrilege but I would truly love the option for zbrush style orbiting, ie just clicking on the background instead of needing to hold alt rotates. free me from my keyboard if I am just painting :p

13. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Awesome, hope you enjoy how it develops!
    Feedback noted, we're definitely going to improve color handling and overall UI/UX, it's all quite temporary for now. Cool idea with the filtering, it could allow for some interesting results. Not sure about the camera movement, we're currently just mirroring how Unity works but we'll definitely look into it.

Thanks!

thelebaron likes this.
  14. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

A spoopy spooktacular Halloween to all Unity boys and ghouls out there!

Join us for the long holiday weekend, it's a FREE download!
    Get it here: https://gum.co/AmplifyPainter

Slaghton, eaque, MUGIK and 1 other person like this.
  15. daville

daville

Would be great if the brush mask could be procedural, perhaps even using a shader made with Amplify Shader or something, with exposed parameters.

Also some effects for the layers like Blur.

Looks great so far.

16. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Indeed, that's a great idea, I think you're going to enjoy the way we're going to handle burshes and FX.

You can already drag and drop shaders onto Smart Fill Layers but this will be improved.

Thanks!

daville likes this.
  17. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Pen pressure on osx is on the roadmap?

There is two ways to do pressure on osx the old way that is supported since 2017
    Event.current.pressure.

and the new input system that has tilt and pressure support on mac coming in 2020.1

18. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

+ multiple objects painting, for painting decals for example over a house with different parts.

19. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Yes, it will be available as soon as possible.

Yeah, I think that could be a really cool addition ;)

We will be posting details on what's coming next soon!

eaque, thelebaron and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  20. rrahim

rrahim

I haven't tested it out as yet, but I was wondering how possible would it be to build an unlit scene and paint in shadows and lights across the scene. Basically painting across various meshes.

Lars-Steenhoff and thelebaron like this.
  21. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

That's an interesting idea, especially for more stylized looks. Since you're painting regular textures, I suppose you could use an unlit shader with the resulting asset. Multi-object painting is planned for later, it's going to be really interesting seeing what people use it for.

Thanks!

22. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I hope it can also be used for painting terrain maps, because terrain does not support pressure from the pen, and I really need that.

23. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

I see, they might add support for it in the new system. A Control Splat is just a regular texture mask used for texture blending, there might be some interesting applications there for a painting tool.

24. rrahim

rrahim

Sounds like it may work eventually after all.
    I'm mostly thinking from a VR perspective, it may make scene authoring easier and more efficient.

25. neoshaman

neoshaman

A whole lot of this :D

26. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Looks interesting!

27. neoshaman

neoshaman

I can of regret just dumping it, instead of singling out interesting feature and note about how that relate to your product lol, I have been doing an all nighter. But if you like it there is a lot of inspiring stuff, though it's a "flat painter" and you probably don't want to specialize in that, dunno.

28. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks for sharing, there's a lot there to take in!

neoshaman likes this.
  29. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

Not sure what thoughts you have for the future, but in any case.

I feel the market is strongly lacking a painting software for pure handpainting.
    I basically want zbrush painting with a bit more options. I don't like the workflow in 3dcoat. Mari and Substance painter is just not the tool for handpainting, and bodypaint and mudbox is outdated.
    Here is my list of most wanted in a painting tool:

- Smudge brush(!!)
    - Clone brush
    - Non uniform symmetry
    - Color picker
    - Color wheel (which is visible all the time)
    - Stencil/Stamp
    - Bake Lighting
    - Painting across multiple objects
    - UV sets, switch

30. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Great feedback, thanks! Most of those are absolute priorities which we will integrate soon.

Fera_KM likes this.
  31. ranye

ranye

i wish this tool support painting RGBA channel independently, different channel has different useage like mask,
    eg i need to paint R channel without affecting GB channel
    btw, great tool

32. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

That's a pretty good idea, both for accessing channels similar to what photoshop provides and using specific channels for that type of mask; we will discuss it with the team.

I should point out that in the future it will be simpler to add those masks as individual channels based on the properties of the shader used; exporting and packing the actual textures also needs to be simplified.

Thanks!

33. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I see it says "create custom channels". So does this tool support custom shaders? Say I have a custom toon shader or other shader I have made, am I able to paint for the channels from my own shader? Or are you only able to add specific channel types?

Thats the main thing I think would make my team want to start looking into using this instead of substance painter, the ability to paint and see the results in our own custom shader instead of having to paint, export, bring into unity and then see results, which is a long process.

If not, please look into this as that would be a game changer!

34. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

It's set up automatically for Standard shaders but you can go into the Channels window and define which properties you want to use; this is something we'll expand later on but here's a quick example:

upload_2019-11-20_11-32-13.png

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  35. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Great going to give this a go later!

Amplify_Ricardo likes this.
  36. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Could you add painting of light probes and painting on HDRI skydomes? Painting lights if you will.

37. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Not sure about lightprobes but Skydome painting would be pretty cool. (passed on to our devs ;) )

laurentlavigne likes this.
  38. timsoret

timsoret

Much needed tool. Excited to see where you're going.
    A few essential features that would greatly enhance our workflow for The Last Night:
    - vertex painting
    - pixel art mode
    - normal painting (color-picking from a normal palette: https://i.stack.imgur.com/hF4Gv.png)
    - projection mapping (project a texture from an angle onto the model, and paint it)
    - procedural masks (to paint only in crevices (AO) for instance)

39. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello Tim, thanks for checking out our tool.

Those are interesting suggestions, we're still early in the development but we will definitely take note of them; some already planned fall in those categories.

Thanks!

40. zongzhi27

zongzhi27

god,I use this test version for texture painting , lie sp, but it's seems like didn't work at all in Unity 2019.3.

41. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks for checking it out, very likely not working in 2019.3(untested) I recommend using an older version for testing purposes.

42. zongzhi27

zongzhi27

I also download the Unity 2019.2.21f1 version, but it has no tool in the windows.
    I like ase and expect this tool releasing early! It's amazing through watching the course video.

43. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Any errors or warnings in your console?

I think we still have a lot to improve on this one but we are getting there!

44. zongzhi27

zongzhi27

just no tool in the window,and there‘’s no brush,you can download the 2019.2.21version to test.The Latest new version 2019.3 also can't paint at all, so I can't test the plug-in,the unity hub only can download the version 2019.3,2019.2and2018.3version. So for now All the version can't work for the ASE Painter.Please test it and improve it quickly.
    I want use the ASE Painter to transform the tri-planar material to the Uv maps,so it can improve game speed.

45. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Future updates will support newer Unity versions, this experimental release is meant for testing only and should be used with an older installation; you can access them via the Unity Download Archive if needed.

Although you can drag and drop shaders into its Smart Layers, that's not very flexible/friendly at the moment; definitely something we would like to support later.

46. zongzhi27

zongzhi27

Thank you very much,I'll download 2019.1 and keep focus on this plug-in and wish releasing as quick as possible,add oil.

47. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks! We still have a long way ahead of us but we're definitely looking for feedback and requests during this stage.

48. code749

code749

This is a great start . does it include the ability to paint with textures rather then just colors ?
    sorry have not tried it but it looks amazing in the video

thank you again for your awesome work

49. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks, much more to come!

Yes, you can use textures in your brush, or add "smart layers" with a tiled textures. This will definitely be improved later on ;)