Search Unity

Open source Unity games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BobOfTibia, May 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChazBass

ChazBass

Unlikely to happen in my opinion. The art for games like The Witcher 3 was commissioned by the studio, and the studio owns the IP. While it is possible that decades hence they might make it public domain, history would suggest not.

The talented artists that did such work are unlikely to ever undertake new work with the idea of just making it free to the world since they are either working on new games or off doing their own thing (with the hope of making money from that). The fundamental difference is that there are WAY more developers capable of writing good open source code than there are artists capable of doing that kind of work.

2. UnityFan18

UnityFan18

This is an amazing idea! I would love this so much! I really wish this would happen so badly. It makes so much sense to allow developers to have an excellent Github type environment where they can improve on the works of others and work collaboratively to provide accessible art content on a wide scale. Would Unity ever do something like this? Like have their open source art repo or resource that allows artists to share open source assets with the community?

This also reminds me of the importance of the public domain for companies such as Disney who have profited greatly on amazing public domain resources.

I work in higher education and there is a massive push to move away from proprietary textbooks to Open Education Resources thus cutting out the publishers. In fact, many colleges see having Open Source education as a massive selling point for students when it comes to cost savings. Essentially, many teachers and students are demanding free access to educational materials.

I really think that Unity could have like a "Open Source Asset Store" where artists could provide open source art assets that could have like a donation link embedded to help artists earn passive income while providing great exposure/publicity for others who either use their art assets or developers looking for artists.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    metaldc4life and mysticfall like this.
  3. Amon

Amon

You bumped a 4 year old thread to pimp your unity paid templates? I've reported you.

edit//
    As posted below by @neginfinity I have removed the link in my quote to prevent this.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  4. neginfinity

neginfinity

And now your post will store link to their stuff within quoted block.

Amon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.