Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

[Open Source] TC Particles: millions of GPU particles

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by pvloon, Feb 28, 2013.

1. pvloon

pvloon

People can request refunds, I can't grant them. I don't think that's really what refunds are for, though you're right, maybe it could work as a solution

2. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Definately not a good solution but may be a decent palliative untill the asset store allowed upgrading licences?

3. pvloon

pvloon

And with GDC now over for a while, I'm curious if someone spotted TC Particles there somewhere :) I was told it would be showcased there in some way

4. erwincoumans

erwincoumans

You can download a Windows executable and watch the TC Particles in the Museum of the Microstar - Oculus Rift Edition
    http://rustltd.com/news/adventures-in-virtual-reality
    Without the Rift, it still works but the navigation is a bit tricky with 2 cameras. Note that you have to wait 1 minute until you can walk around.

5. pvloon

pvloon

Ahh yes, thanks that you mention that :) haven't gotten my hands on an oculus yet, but I hear that it should be pretty amazing!

6. pvloon

pvloon

TC Particles indie is on sale! 50% off for 24 hours, starting now! Now is your chance :)

Also, I've been redesigning the asset store page. Should be up soon!

7. pvloon

pvloon

8. sordidlist

sordidlist

I was eyeballing this asset a couple days ago, and took the plunge when I saw the 24 hour sale. So glad I did! The ideas I had when I purchased TC Particles have just been multiplying as I learn how to use it...
    Looking forward to the next few tutorial videos!

9. Zen-Davis

Zen-Davis

goddamn it. i would have jumped on it asap. guess i have to keep wait. shoot! anyway we could get an e-mail or something when this goes on sale again? would you consider it again anytime soon? would have purchased it just to play around with the thing.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  10. pvloon

pvloon

@growling_egg: Awesome to hear that! If your ideas work, would be very cool if you could show some! I maybe even can put some on the website tcparticles.tinycubestudio.com

@Zen Davis: Yeah, the unity sales are really really short, a bit of a bummer. I don't think it'll be on sale particularly soon, as I don't think I can enter a 24 hour sale mutliple times. We'll see :) That said, with the huge success of the 24 hour sale* made me realize that there's a big barrier for TC Particles. It's all very much new tech, and noone really knows the can and can'ts, so putting down 100-350$ without knowing that is a bit of a stretch. I'll be looking into ways to make this more accesible. Maybe it's just more videos that show the system better, maybe it's a full trial version :)

*For anyone intrested: I won't release sales numbers here, but the use base of TC Particles has pretty much quadrupled in 24 hours :)

11. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Well deserved!

Also i think it still is very reasonably priced, sales just make people jump the trigger :) But yes a demo could be nice as it's probably hard to gauge , maybe you could do a prebuilt dll with full screen overlays telling people it's a demo version have that for free on the store? I'm sure quite a few more people would purchase the indy version if they could "feel" for themselves how easy it is to use / tweak

12. sordidlist

sordidlist

@p v loon: I'd be happy to! I have something in mind I'm working on building for our studio's upcoming project and this will be perfect for it. I have a question about it, though - I'm an indie user so I know tech support isn't a priority for indie licenses, but I wondered if maybe it's just something obvious I'm missing, or if anybody else has run into this and knows what I'm doing wrong?
    I made a new scene with a large flat cube and a TCParticle System. The cube has a TCCollider attached with a PhysxShape and Inverse turned off.
    My goal is to make the particles shower down at an angle, bounce off of the surface of the cube, and fall off into space, similar in concept to the second scene in the downloadable demo game you'd made awhile ago. However, when the particles hit the cube, they behave unexpectedly. In the off chance you might know off the top of your head what's causing it to look like this, I attached a picture.
    $particle.jpg
    The particles fall towards the right but disappear into the cube and then bounce off to the left later on. I think like you said in response to Zen Davis, I'm not quite entirely sure what the scope of the tool I'm using is just yet, but I'm sure that as time goes on, it'll be a really fascinating asset.
    Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer!

13. pvloon

pvloon

Cool,. would love to see it!

Boy, that doesn;t look good. The indie version doesn't have priority dedicated support, but that seems like a straight up (pretty serious) bug. Luckily, the fix was easy :) I had some braces wrong, giving these weird collisions. I will prepare for an update as soon as I can.

If anyone needs this patched right now, just send me a PM and your invoice number and I'll patch you up.

@ronan: Something like that, indeed. Though, I suspect there's a good amount of people who get this _just_ to play around with. I'll have to weigh off some aspects.

14. M4R5

M4R5

Hello!
    Just bought your asset last night. I was really excited to use it but it keeps giving me an error when I try to run the scene:
    Assets/Plugins/TCParticles/Samples/Standard Assets/Image Effects (Pro Only)/CameraMotionBlur.js(103,20): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'supportDX11'.
    I only understand a bit of Javascript and no C#, but it doesn't seem to like the phrase 'supportDX11'. I trieed replacing it with 'Dx11Support, which I found somewhere else in your code, but then it generated three more error messages. I can't wait to use your amazing asset. Please help!
    Thanks a bunch,
    -Mars

15. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Did you include it in a new project or an existing project? The error is in a standard unity asset so odds are that you either ended up having it included twice (once in your project, once as part of tc).

16. pvloon

pvloon

Hi Mars,

Hmm, that's odd! Like ronan pointed out, that code is part of standard unity assets. Try including the package in an empty project. If that doesn't work, let me know!

17. ZJP

ZJP

Hi,

On the Unity French Forum, we have an member who has some trouble with the webplayer demo (test before buy).
    Here is a screenshot obtained with nvidia GT 555M gc. He has the latest video drivers. What do you think?.

18. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

He's not seeing anything (the blue is just lights) from TC particles, just tell him to switch to DX11 mode and restart unity :)

19. ZJP

ZJP

20. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Does he have a DX11 system? because this looks exactly like how it renders on DX9, can you confirm he has DX11 driver a DX11 OS?

21. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

actually i just tried the webplayer and am getting the same issue, would a certain author happen to have generated a DX9 webplayer by accident? :)

22. pvloon

pvloon

Yeah, he has send me a mail with a bug report. I asked him if he was using XP by any chance. If not I have some bug hunting to do :)

23. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Well i'm definately not using xp, and it's not working for me in web player, however webplayer defaults to my intel integrated card instead of the nvidia, so could just be that.
    Maybe it's the same issue for him? If you provide him with a standalone and it works then it's just that and you don't need to bug hunt (unless you plan to support intel GPUs, which would probably be nice)

24. pvloon

pvloon

aah yes, a GT555m is a nivdia optimus card - so that must be it. I will add a download link for a standalone version to the webpage

25. Pyromuffin

Pyromuffin

I'm having a problem where the particles are rendering before a transparent object. The object is set to completely opaque using the standard unity transparency shaders and the default TCparticle shader, and it the particles still show up as if they are in front of the transparent object I have attached a screenshot. $transparency.PNG

26. M4R5

M4R5

Got it to work somehow. Just ended up fumbling with the DX11 settings and reimporting. Oh well...
    Thanks anyhoo :D

-Mars

Also, would you know, by any chance, where I could find out how to enable particle collision with planes, terrains, and other objects?
    Thanks a bunch!

27. pvloon

pvloon

@pyromuffin: I'm aware of this bug, and I've been trying to fix it for quite some time now. The problem is, is that I don't really see anyway how I can get something to render in between the solid queue and transparent queue. I will have this fixed for 1.1 for sure, but it's rather complicated.

@marstheplaen: Whew, great to hear! For collisions: Add a TC Collider component to the collider, set maxColliders to 1 for the system. Take a look at the Destruction test scene, and the terrain collision one for how this works :) Do note: as growling_egg pointed out, the collisions are a little bugged right now. Fix will be submitted today.

28. Zen-Davis

Zen-Davis

Just took the plunge for this today. Hopefully it ends up being as useful to the project I'm working on as I imagine. Thanks for the constant updates on this. Make the decision easier.

29. pvloon

pvloon

Great to hear so! Thank you for the update as well! Let me know what you think :)

30. ZJP

ZJP

Hi,

I thinking about the possibility to merge TC Particle and my Fluid DLL v2 . So, are there a way to get the particle array address, sending this address to the DLL et let TC engine display these particles?

With the new version (Rama Hoetzlein), it is possible to work on millions of particles. ;)
    TC Particle bring this asleep project over the top.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  31. nuverian

nuverian

Your Fluid DLL seems very great!
    The other links seems even greater!
    So in a nutshell you are going to implement Ramas algorithm to your new Fluid DLL? Thats far more greater!
    Considering the merge you are suggesting does happen at some point? Thats even far more...well. you get the idea.

32. ZJP

ZJP

@p v loon
    Some inspiration for you. It's a Apex Particle demo. Pretty sure that TC Pacticle can do the same. ;)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  33. pvloon

pvloon

Hey hey! I agree with nuverian, The fluid DLL looks awesome ZJP! I need to look into that :) as to rendering the particles with TC particles: I don't see an easy way to do this. It might have been possible if it was writen as a compute shader, and not in CUDA. Thanks for ghr video as well! I'm sure TC can do that, if only I had the resources to make such fancy demos :)

Also, I'm still working on the upcoming patch. Its mostly bugfixes, but also introduces a new feature :) you can now generate a 3D vector field, and bind it to a force by script! It bass created for a support ticket, to visualize a weather model! I might post some screenies soon.

34. pvloon

pvloon

Hey hey! I agree with nuverian, The fluid DLL looks awesome ZJP! I need to look into that :) as to rendering the particles with TC particles: I don't see an easy way to do this. It might have been possible if it was writen as a compute shader, and not in CUDA. Thanks for ghr video as well! I'm sure TC can do that, if only I had the resources to make such fancy demos :)

Also, I'm still working on the upcoming patch. Its mostly bugfixes, but also introduces a new feature :) you can now generate a 3D vector field, and bind it to a force by script! It bass created for a support ticket, to visualize a weather model! I might post some screenies soon.

35. ZJP

ZJP

@nuverian, p v loon
    Thx,
    In fact the DLL is a sort of interface added to the exe source of the PhD Rama Holstein's project. As you can imagine, this work is very complex. Too complex for me. I asked permission a few years ago. A smart and nice man.
    The main problème is the rendering. For that, the DLL need a pointer to the particle array address.

36. pvloon

pvloon

Hmmm, alright. Well I really don't see a way, but maybe I'll dive into the water simulation sph solver, and port it to TC Particles one day!

Also, TC Particles 1.0.6 has finally been sumbitted! Includes:

-New forcetype: TurbulenceTexture
    -Assign a 3D texture in the inspector, or create it in script via:
    -The new API: myTcForce.GenerateTexture(Vector3[,,] values) (values must be a power of two size)
    -Allows for simulation of arbitrary vector fields

-Fixed sphere, cube, capsule collisions, particles were bouncing in wrong direction
    -Fixed terrain collisions, particles were being accelerated on collision\

-Fixed potential nullreference when using the default material
    -Fixed webplayer deployment
    -Small performance optimizations
    -Fixed 'blend' shader
    -Fixed collision particle size when 'isPixelSize' was enabled
    -Fixed prewarm
    -Fixed Simulate function

37. ZJP

ZJP

Nice addon. Thx.

Have you updated the Web Demo?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  38. pvloon

pvloon

The webplayer fix was needed to deploy in the first place, I'm afraid current version in store doesn't deploy to web player at all. That said, good point, I do need to update the weplayer, have made some improvments to the demo :)

Also, for the issue with the GT555m, I've had this reproduced, and the problem is with nvidia optimus for sure. Unity doesn't force it into using the dedicated GPU :(

Edit: Patch 1.0.6 has been accepted! Thanks asset store team for the quick review :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  39. pvloon

pvloon

First project using TC Particles is up on the website:

http://tcparticles.tinycubestudio.com/?portfolio=fim-wind-vector-fields

>1 million particles running through a vector field generated by temperature and pressure weather models. Looks very cool! Thanks to Erick Hackathorn for that one.

Patch 1.0.7 is already on it's way. 1.1 is in the works as well, but support tickets keep popping up :) So far it contains:

-EmitFromMesh is now much much faster for large meshes (>800 triangles, have seen cases where it was 300x faster)
    -Fixed EmitMesh not being writable
    -Fixed arrow colours
    -Local space particles now properly rotate to local space (use parent space to recreate old behaviour)
    -Added warning when trying to create non power of two turbulence texture
    -Some other (very) minor performance optimizations

I want to investigate the transparancy overlap issues more before submitting this update. I've talked to Aras about it, but he didn't seem to know a way to do this. Will be a hard one!

40. sotec

sotec

My poor GT555M T_T, still look impressive from the pictures ^^

41. Zen-Davis

Zen-Davis

Thank you for the quick updates!

42. AzraelKans

AzraelKans

I just got this when it was on sale a few weeks ago and I can truly recommend it ;) I have some comments though.

1.-Most of my particle systems are already made for alpha blended shaders, this is currently not supported, could you add alpha blending in a future update? even if it uses less particles? Im more interested in the physics interaction for those.

2.-Im having a lot of problems to get the vortices and turbulence forces working or looking nearly as good as the ones in the demo. For starters my game already had a much bigger scale than the one in the demo. Could you adress vortex and turbulence in the next tutorials? a written explanation should suffice too.

3.-The examples are great, but I think we would really apreciate if you could submit more "common" examples, like fire, smoke, water, blood, snow, rain, you know basic things we use particles for. They are not difficult either. I already made a great snow particle system with actual snow accumulation using these particles, pretty neat ;)

Thanks!

43. pvloon

pvloon

Thanks AzraelKans!

1-The problem with alpha blending is that particles need to be sorted to look good. A GPU isn't really that good in sorting, let alone sorting a million of them. However, if particles don't overlap too much it still might be a useful addition to have some alpha shaders in there. They are extremely easy to make anyway - so I'll experiment a bit

2. More demo videos are coming :) Anton Hand who is making them is currently busy with his final thesis though. As soon as he's done with that I'll give him a poke ;)

3. Hmm, I can definitely see where you are coming from. We'll see what we can do for future demo scenes :)

44. Zen-Davis

Zen-Davis

Your site with the documentation appears down?

45. pvloon

pvloon

46. Zen-Davis

Zen-Davis

47. sordidlist

sordidlist

So, I'm trying to have some of my particle systems stop emitting after a given period of time. I use the "system life" box for that, correct? And obviously I have looping turned off. But, it seems no matter what value I put in there, the system only emits for a brief instant. What am I doing wrong?

48. pvloon

pvloon

Hi,

That's exactly how it should work, yeah. It does work in my tests. Do you have prewarm on? Can you make a screenshot of your settings?

49. sordidlist

sordidlist

Never occurred to me that prewarm might have been causing it, but I totally see why that was the case now. It was taking however many seconds worth of particles I specified and emitted them all at once. Turning off prewarm was all I needed to do. I was just being oblivious :)

50. pvloon

pvloon

Glad I could help!

In other news, a new patch is on the horizon :) I have been mostly been busy with lots of other jobs, but also keeping up on support tickets. So far, here's what to expect:

-Boids flocking (including a new test scene 'firefly' to show it off)

-Fixed leaks of Texture2D objects
    -Fixed leaks of co routines when enabling / disabling particle systems
    -Improved some handling for the emit mesh
    -Bunch of random fixes, performance improvements

Alright, only the boids flocking is exciting, but I can tell you that it is _very_ exciting. The first tests look absolutely gorgeous. It's currently in betá, and when it has passed some more tests I will submit TC Particles 1.0.9. Originally I wanted to make one giant TC particles 1.1 patch, as that's always good for marketing, but I've decided I rather share this progress with my paying customers right now!

Lastly, a new tutorial video is coming this week! stay tuned