Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Open Source] TC Particles: millions of GPU particles

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by pvloon, Feb 28, 2013.

1. pvloon

pvloon

$ForumHeader.png

Asset store, 85$

TC Particles is a DirectX 11 powered particle engine. It brings you the power to interactively simulate hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of particles.

Interactivity
    $Forces.png

TC Particles comes with a suite of forces (ranging from simple forces to complex turbulence forces) and colliders (ranging from boxes and spheres, to entire terrains) to better integrate special effects with your scene. A simple smoke trail, or a complex magic effect, TC Particles will make it more interactive

The workflow has been optimized to give you all the power you need, without added complexity. TC Particles supports many parameters. Take a look at the documentation for a full list!

$MotMShot_06.jpg
    $MotMShot_08.jpg

TC Particles was used in the winning project of the unity Directx11 competition: ‘Museum of the Microstar’ by rust ltd and myself. All special effects in the project were done with TC Particles. Microstar pushed the system forward, and helped to find painful areas in the workflow.

Sample scenes and webplayer

The package includes clear samples to get you started right away. Plus, they are pretty!

$Dps3.jpg

Webplayer demo

If you do create an awesome project with TC Particles, I would love to showcase it on the website!

Mail: tinycubestudio@gmail.com

Credits
    TC Particles would not have been possible without the ongoing effor of Anton Hand of RUST LTD

Last edited: May 7, 2016
    Alverik likes this.
  2. ZJP

ZJP

YES....... :cool:

BTW, missing some pictures here. :D

And missing a PayPal button too.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  3. pvloon

pvloon

Might be worth adding somre more pictures. Hold on, still sorting it all out ;)

Humm, the 'purchase' page is a bit misleading I geuss. I plan to only sell on the asset store to avoid some complications. I submitted the package this morning, so with a bit of luck it's in the store tomorrow! (for 80$ launch price of course :) )

4. sloopidoopi

sloopidoopi

Congratulations!
    Will be there some upgrade posibility ? (When I purchase the indie version and want to upgrade to the pro version)

5. pvloon

pvloon

Unfortunately not, at least not at this time. This comes down to the the decision to only sell on the asset store. Setting up a transaction system, licenses etc. is more trouble than it's worth.

6. unity_sg

unity_sg

Good news :)
    Maybe one stupid question, but we buy the actual version, will we be able to have access to the next updates without buying a license again ?

7. pvloon

pvloon

Certainly! Good point, let me clear that up on the purchase page :)

8. panta

panta

Nooooo! I have a fermi card :( 570 HD to be exact.

I will probably hold out for pro once there is full nVidia card support. How long do you estimate the wait will be?

9. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

What do you mean by full nvidia card support? System seems to work just fine on my nvidia 540M

10. pvloon

pvloon

All example scene's work. 'Simple' scenes like Museum of the Microstar work. But when building more complex scene's, with complex force interactions between different systems etc. We found the system breaking in weird, random, ways. You probably still can do lot's of cool stuff with the system, we just don't want to sell the system knowing it can give people issues without warning!

Everything is pointing towards drivers bugs on nVidia's end. I have ordered a fermi card not too long ago which should be here pretty soon. After weeks of fixing I think we are already pretty close to fixing the mess, say, next week. If we can't we will contact nVidia. I will of course regularly update on this issue, it's highest priority right now!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  11. ZJP

ZJP

Yep,

As a futur customer/developer and owner of an ATI card, it is impossible for me to know the problems that the end 'nVidia' user will discover.
    For the moment, we must focus on..simples scenes. However, i've no doubt that you will solve this issue.

JP

12. pvloon

pvloon

Nah, on ATI cards / kepler cards you can do anything ;)

It seems like unity hasn't had time yet to approve TC Particles. That means a weekend without TC Particles! Too bad :(

13. ZJP

ZJP

Yes, I know, but we can't use all the features of the particle system, because we could have some issues with the final compiled project on the end user nvidia card.

Oh nooooo...... :(

BTW, Good move. I appreciate it. :cool:

14. panta

panta

I was referring to this post made by Arthur

15. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Maybe today? :)

(btw the samples look awesome)

16. ZJP

ZJP

Not yet ;)

17. pvloon

pvloon

Agonizing! I have been staring at this menu for days

$Capture.PNG

2 hours or so left for unity staff to approve *fingers crossed*

18. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Nothing still :(

19. pvloon

pvloon

Looks like it will be another day without particles...

To compensate, I should get an exciting new part of the website up. Not as great as the actual package, but hey ;)

20. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Had they known world war 3 4 and 5 trigered at the same time on that day due to their action, they would've accepted it on the asset store without question, however they couldn't know . . . "plays the walking dead theme"!

21. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Get back to F5 refreshing all day today! :)

22. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

23. pvloon

pvloon

Still nothing... Unity send me a nice e-mail today, explaining that they did not yet get around testing this, and are sorry for the delay. They too want to approve this asap, but are lacking equipment.

Too bad, but very nice of them to do that :) Hold on everybody!

24. SevenBits

SevenBits

Webplayer?

25. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Please, me wanna see the demos:) (standalone please not webplayer, or bith, webplayer won't work on my computer)

26. panta

panta

Yes, please post a standalone that we can download and test it out with! It'll be a nice way for users to test if their system even supports TCPart before downloading.

Also it will hold us over until the guys at Unity buy some new GFX cards :)

27. elbows

elbows

I'm sure the 'Museum of the Microstar' which uses these particles is available to download somewhere.

28. ZJP

ZJP

29. pvloon

pvloon

I will sort it all out as soon as I can, a standalone / webplayer would of course be nice!

Meanwhile, still no TC. I was pretty sure it would be here today as unity now does have access to a proper PC again, but so far, nothing. The good news is, they are in san fransisco so still a few hours left, but I need to get to bed, all the waiting is starting to take it's toll!

Keep holding tight everybody, almost there!

In other news, my fermi card came in. I will be able to start fixing fermi soon!

30. jeroenvdv

jeroenvdv

Short question - How's the support for "large" particles with more detailed texture? (128 x 128 or even larger for example).

31. KeiTagura

KeiTagura

Looks like I see it out in the asset store guys!
    Front page and all~

32. ZJP

ZJP

GOT IT :D

33. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

is that playmaker support?

34. Parallel_

Parallel_

How can there be playmaker support when just released an hour ago?
    PM support would probably be long down the road since there's a long list of stuff planned before.

35. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Pfft they had to release it while i was asleep, i wanted to be #1 to purchase :( sigh
    Buying full version :)

36. pvloon

pvloon

Your prayers have been answered, world war 3 and 4 have ended, the unity asset store gods have approved TC Particles this night, just after I went to bed!

I'm super excited, and hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did making it :) It's your comments and messages that kept me going! Special shoutout to Anton Hand, xenius on the forum here, be sure to thank him for actually making this happen ;)

I will be around as much as possible to ensure a smooth launch, so if you have any issues at all, be sure to contact me!

Now, get to it, I want to see some awesome effects ;)

@jeroenvdv: Sure, no problem! We have noticed that some graphics cards are a bit slower for these textures, while for some cards the texture size doesn't matter at all

@ZJP: Please don't throw the code into Mordor!
    @devang_xprt: Sorry, no playmaker support currently, sorry! There's currently still a lot to do, but I will put it on the list.
    @ronan.thibaudau: Of course, just as how I planned it ;)

37. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

38. pvloon

pvloon

Technically you can with the velocity over lifetime property. You don't get a nice visual spline though, but that sounds like it's worth adding. Thanks for the idea, I'll put it on the list, which is already getting rather populated though ;)

39. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

your tools is really very awesome,look like unreal particle system.

40. ZJP

ZJP

Count in.
    That said, one word : UNBELIEVABLE

41. tobobox

tobobox

Yes! Just got it! :)

No! Just saw the post about not working fully with my 670M graphics card! :(

I can get all the demos to run, but the TerrainCollision demo runs at only 0.9 fps (spooky - 60 fps, FX1 - 25 fps, Destruction - 130 fps). Is this an issue with the Nvidia card or is something else going wrong? What are the fps that you are seeing on your end? Do you think your still on schedule to fix the nvidia issue in the next week?

This is crazy exciting... can't wait to see it in all its glory! Looks amazing already!

(also, I suggest turning off the grain filter on the camera in the demos... it confuses the effect for a first time user (specially when there are graphics card complications) and doesn't look as polished)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  42. pvloon

pvloon

@devang_xprt: Glad you like it :) It can do some stuff unreal can do indeed (and much, much more, hehe)

@ZJP: Very glad to hear that! People who follow this from day 1 must have quite the expectations, so I'm really glad I could live up to those :)

@tobobox: Aah, yeah, one of the few 6xx fermi cards... The good news is that I can start debugging fermi today, shouldn't take too long.

That's a weird framerate issue. The terrain collision scene is reasonably heavy, but not *that* heavy. I'll look into it, might relate to fermi bugs. Thanks for the suggestions, and I'm very glad you are enjoying it otherwise :)

43. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Hi,:D

thanks,:D

i'm waiting for anther update, keep going because it is fabulous work,:rolleyes:

play_edu

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  44. pvloon

pvloon

Hi there,

Cool, looking forward to it! I will release a roadmap pretty soon, so that you have an idea where the system is going.

(Early disclaimer: roadmap of course is only a very general idea)

45. pvloon

pvloon

I'm currently investigating fermi issues. First leads are pretty promising!

Hows everyone liking it so far? TC Particles is already doing quite well, but I've only had 1 bug report so far! Feel free to post any issues or annoyances :)

(Or TC Particles is really that bug free already, but what are the odds of that?)

46. valyard

valyard

Unity Technologies

Are there docs available?
    I would like to know more before considering to buy.
    Like what the process is like, what effects are possible, how I can control the system etc.

47. pvloon

pvloon

It's still very much under construction, but take a look at the website: http://tcparticles.tinycubestudio.com/ The documentation page has a list of all available properties for most components. The features page highlights some important features. Again though, it's far from complete. Also, somewhere next week we'll release some videos showing of how to create particle systems!

48. pvloon

pvloon

Hello everyone!

Good news, patch 1.0.3 is already on it's way! I'll continue to add content this weekend as submitting right now won't make it go any faster, but so far there is"

-Fixed fermi card issues!*
    -Fixed some other bugs
    -Optimizations for most collision types
    -Produces much less garbage now
    -Fixed some problems with the demo scene's

*As far as I know of, we'll keep a close eye if there's anymore fermi card issues

49. ZJP

ZJP

Don't need a Hero. I've You....

BTW, what about this :
    (See)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  50. pvloon

pvloon

Dawww, thanks!

This still is possible... theoretically. I've stalked Aras about it, but he says unity won't support compute shaders on downlevel hardware :( If they ever do I will make these particles work, but for now there's now way for me to do that.

Also: Last weekend of 80$ launch price! And did I mention already TC Particles works in unity indie?