Search Unity

Games Open Source Pinball Simulator (DOTS)

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by phreezie, Oct 26, 2020.

1. phreezie

phreezie

As you might know, there is a rather large community of virtual pinball enthusiasts. Many of us have built physical cabinets that look like real machines, but instead of a playfield they contain a TV screen, as well as a monitor for the backglass and the dot matrix display. A lot have built real flashers and solenoids into the cabinet that synchronize with the gameplay, to get a more authentic feeling while playing. Here is mine!

Besides the commercial games like PinballFX3 and Pinball Arcade, there is Future Pinball, a free but closed source sim, as well as Visual Pinball, which is open source.

Visual Pinball dates from the early 2000s, and while still fantastically maintained, it's becoming difficult to keep up with the hardware and what modern render pipelines can do. Another pain point is its editor, which has a very steep learning curve, and finally, the VBScript engine used to script the games is a turn-off for many creators.

So a few months ago, we've started porting Visual Pinball to Unity. We've ported the file format, the game mechanisms, editor support, and most importantly, Visual Pinball's physics engine, which is by many considered the best in the business.

It's still far from being playable, but I thought some of you might be interested in following its progress. The source code is available at GitHub, we've started to write documentation, and if you're interested in what the virtual pinheads have to say, check this thread.

Lastly, a few screenshots!

Cheers!

MS80, mloveall, Antypodish and 6 others like this.
  2. Rowlan

Rowlan

This is an exciting project and the Unity engine is ideal for it. For one creating a pinball table is as easy as using Unity and for the other the graphics are portable to various platforms and moreover it can make use of the benefits of the various Render Pipelines. Especially the HDRP graphics are already excellent and will grow as HDRP and DXR grow. And I can't wait to see what comes with VR towards us.

The Visual Pinball community is huge and consists of very talented and motivated members. I see a bright future for this project! Especially for it being free and Open Source :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  3. phreezie

phreezie

Yeah, for me it's the first gamedev project, and so far it has been an awesome ride. Hats off to Unity and also to the many helpful people here at the forum!

4. Rowlan

Rowlan

I thought I'd import two tables, simply put them into a scene as they are and fly around manually with the camera in realtime.

Credit for the ambient scene to Unity for their awesome Auto Showroom.

Lars-Steenhoff and phreezie like this.
  5. phreezie

phreezie

Time flies :)

The project is still very active, we recently added basic MPF support, which is awesome for original games.

Rowlan and BenniKo like this.
  6. phreezie

phreezie

Working on lighting, here a first play test!

MS80, kittik, Rowlan and 1 other person like this.
  7. Rowlan

Rowlan

I'm not an expert on raytracing, but I just had to try :)

t2 5.jpg
    t2 9.jpg
    t2 3.jpg
    t2 2.jpg

All credit to the dev team and the table authors.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    MS80, Antypodish and keeponshading like this.
  8. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I'm going to be the unpopular guy here pointing out that GPL licensing isn't compatible with Unity. GPL would require you to have things from Unity's side to have GPL compatible licensing - which clashes with Unity's own licensing.

Rowlan likes this.
  9. phreezie

phreezie

10. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

edit: <removed pointless debate as I'm not trying to get into some internet argument here>

Also It's not like you'd really get into legal trouble for breaking the licensing terms for projects like this, it just shows a bad form. Anyway, not trying to hijack this thread for this, just wanted to note that in case you weren't aware of the potential issue as I didn't notice it had been discussed in past. Carry on :)

11. phreezie

phreezie

No worries and no hijacking, this is about the project and your comment fully falls into that topic. ;)

This is a community project. We want it to be free and open source, but we don't want companies using our work for commercial games without contributing back. The GPL3 assures that.

rz_0lento likes this.
  12. Rowlan

Rowlan

kittik likes this.
  13. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi, @phreezie

i use the latest packages in Unity 2021.2.0f1

and i can play the T2 table (Terminator 2 VR (Williams 1991) g5k v1.11.vpx) in the editor.
    Key 5, 1, ball is spawned, Return to go, STRG left and STRG right works.
    The table is playing nicely in the Editor.

Only changed the manual plunger to sw78 (Screenshot Wire Manager)

yayt.JPG

In the Build
    Return to go, STRG left and STRG right
    are not working.
    KEy 5, 1, are working but no ball is spawned.

Does anyone has sonme idea what to do?
    I use the normal windows intel-64 build.

This is the Build error message.
    Scene catalog has not been loaded....

Unbenann2t.JPG

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  14. phreezie

phreezie

15. phreezie

phreezie

Little update, one table, two lighting conditions:

Antypodish and Rowlan like this.
  16. shntat

shntat

Under playfield mini playfields can be possible now. Screenshot 2022-07-02 170741.png

Rowlan likes this.
  17. phreezie

phreezie

ledshok and Rowlan like this.