Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Open Source] ModTool - Mod Support for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by HelloMeow, Nov 21, 2016.

1. SolidJuho

SolidJuho

Thank you so much for helping me out on that API Assembly problem.
    After playing around while I started noticing when importing package all of these stuff under C: which are not selectable, what are those or are those about that unity 2018.2 complications with runtime scripts?

2. HelloMeow

HelloMeow

Since Unity 2017.1 the generated packages have been a bit bloated. For some reason Unity includes all kinds of unnecessary stuff when you tell it to include the project settings. I'm going to have to include the project settings manually.

3. geigi

geigi

Hey,
    is it possible to call mod exporting from code? I'd like to integrate my project into GitLab CI.
    Thanks for this awesome library :)

4. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Did you log a bug with them? I'll back you up
    What's the status on that? 2018.3 has loads of changes regarding asset loading and I wonder if maybe this was fixed, or broken further.

5. HelloMeow

HelloMeow

I haven't heard from them other than that they could reproduce the issue. I'll try to ask them again soon.

Do you mean how to start exporting a mod from code? You can do that with ModExporter.Export(exportSettings). Both ModExporter and ExportSettings are singletons.

laurentlavigne likes this.
  6. geigi

geigi

Yes, thanks a lot. To get it working I had to manually move the DLLs from
    Assets/ModTool/Editor
    to
    Assets/ModTool
    . Otherwise Unity didn't include them in the csrpoj references. I guess this might cause problems when updating the
    Mod.unitypackage
    . Maybe you could consider moving them?

7. geigi

geigi

I came across some more issues: I need to change the
    outputDirectory
    because it is different on the build bot, but it is only readable from code.

Also I created a script
    BuildCommand
    which setups and starts the build process. But because this script (and also the csproj) is referencing
    ModToolExporting.Editor
    it is not possible to export the mod. So this turned out to be a bigger problem than I thought. A solution would be
    ModTool
    supporting some kind of a Script blacklist that will not be included in the build. But it propably also needs to take care of the csproj references as these are required for the
    BuildCommand
    script to work.

What are your thoughts on this?

8. HelloMeow

HelloMeow

Is it an option to place whatever is using ModExporter in an editor folder? Because that's how it is supposed to be used.

Otherwise it will be included in the Assembly-CSharp dll, which won't have access to UnityEditor outside of the editor.

9. geigi

geigi

Ahh I see! Thanks for the clarification, that was the solution :) I ran into another issue I could resolve. You can run Unity in batchmode so that it closes itself after a specifiec static method is executed and finished. As
    ExportMod
    finishes before the export is complete, Unity quit mid process. You can disable the automatic exit but then I need to detect that the export has finished somehow in order to close Unity myself.

I tried to implement a
    ExportFinished
    event similar to the
    ExportStarted
    event but the event handler in my static
    BuildCommand
    class was never called. The Event was fired in
    StopExport
    . I think this might have something to do with ModExporter moving the Script files on export?

My current solution is a bool
    ExitOnFinish
    member in ModExporter which can be set before export. ModTool quits Unity by itself if this bool is set.

I'd like to implement this in a more proper way if you have any idea how to do this with an event. You can find my changes to ModTool here if you're interested: https://github.com/geigi/ModTool

catherineomega likes this.
  10. HelloMeow

HelloMeow

Yeah it does a couple of assembly reloads during the exporting process. So any initial state is lost unless it is serialized.

You might be able to subscribe to the ExportFinished event in a static method with the InitializeOnLoadMethod attribute, or use EditorPrefs in some way.

geigi likes this.
  11. GaborL

GaborL

Hi!
    Can I export classes to the mod pack?
    For example I have a "Weapon" class and I want to export it for the modder, so the modder could create new weapons.

12. SolidJuho

SolidJuho

So, is there any update of editor runtime scripts not working?
    We have 2018.3 released and 2019.1 in alpha/beta, Has anyone tried these yet?

13. GattaiGames

GattaiGames

I just tested with Unity 2018.2.0f2 (64-bit) and am getting a .meta error while trying to export the scripts.

upload_2019-1-8_12-50-19.png

Which I believe is causing the scripts to not be loaded when trying to run them

upload_2019-1-8_12-52-6.png

Did I miss out something? Thanks for the time!

Attached Files:

14. HelloMeow

HelloMeow

This appears to be fixed in Unity 2019.

15. finaldrace

finaldrace

upload_2019-2-2_1-35-26.png
    I can use older Mods, but when i try to use "Export Mod" with the Unity 2019 compiled exporter, then it shows these errors and warnings

16. HelloMeow

HelloMeow

17. finaldrace

finaldrace

Thank you now it works :)

do you think there is a chance for future IL2CPP support?

18. HelloMeow

HelloMeow

Unfortunately not, because IL2CPP does not support Assembly.Load. This means it can't load DLLs at runtime.

19. look001

look001

Hi there,
    very cool asset! Do you plan to add support for IOS and WebGl too?

20. kiwiboys

kiwiboys

Hey HelloMeow

I was taking a look at the mod tool and it's very intuitive and can be very powerful. I was wondering if there was a way to create a white list of certain namespaces methods and class's for the code validation as there are quite a few to go through, its always easy to miss something so if everything was blocked at the start say for a few of the main ones, it might be easier to prevent certain mods getting out that may have malicious code and such.
    Is there any functionality like that currently?

21. gvergidis

gvergidis

Hello. I have a problem if you could please help me. I have created a mod which included a script. This script derives from an interface which interface was passed as dll assembly from main project. When I add the mod to the main project, I can not understand how will I load the script based on interface type? How can we load scripts from mod?

22. HelloMeow

HelloMeow

You can do this with Mod.GetInstances().

Nope, unfortunately not. This sounds like a good thing to have.

No. These platforms have restrictions that make it impossible.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  23. DrScatmanOTH

DrScatmanOTH

Hello,

I am having an issue where when importing the mod tool from the asset store into Unity 2019.3 all scripts referencing assets in the 'Standard Assets' folder are throwing errors stating that they are missing assembly references/directives.

Any help in resolving this issue would be very much appreciated

24. cwxxc3

cwxxc3

Is IL2CPP supported if you're not adding scripts in the mods? So just assets and scenes

25. Polemus

Polemus

How would one go about including a script in the export?

I have Assets\Mods\Base\TerrainSettings.cs

TerrainSettings looks as follow:

Code (CSharp):
    1. namespace BlueMods
    2. {
    3.     public class TerrainSettings : MonoBehaviour //ModBehaviour
    4.     {
    5.         public float OceaLevel;
    6.     }
    7. }
    I would like to include this script for the modder to be able to add this component to their mod.

I am able to include it if i create a separate C# project and then add the assembly to my project, but this is a massive pain if i have to make a change.

It would be great if i could select scripts that could be exported.

26. ibyte

ibyte

Hi, is it possible to create a Unity application that will export a mod file that can be imported into my game. I don't want the modders to have to learn the Unity Editor. The mods would not include any code just updates to textures and changes to material settings etc.

Thanks

Glenn

27. Polemus

Polemus

Not working in 2019.3.12f1

28. HelloMeow

HelloMeow

It seems to be working for me on this version. What is the issue you are having?

Hi Glenn,

Since the exporter uses a lot of editor code, it can't work in any kind of standalone build. I think what you might need is some kind of in-game editor.

29. modiohq

modiohq

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    FaberVi and one_one like this.
  30. bigclu

bigclu

can i use the Serializable ,such as
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  [Serializable]
    2.     public class TestData {
    3.             public int a = 0;
    4.             public string str = "a";
    5.     }
    when i use it in inspector ,and make mod . i will lost the data ,can u help me?

31. AiDev123

AiDev123

Hey I emailed you but I just want to make sure I get a response as quick as possible, and I see you're responding pretty recently on here. I've developed an android app and implemented this mod tool, it works perfectly fine importing the mods into the editor but when I build a version on my phone it wont load up the maps when I hit the load button on the mod. Android is selected as the platform in the mod exporter. I have no clue what to do so any help would be appreciated

32. HelloMeow

HelloMeow

Does the mod show up and load on android? Are there any error messages you can see?

You can try logging the mod's scenes to see if it even finds the scenes.

33. AiDev123

AiDev123

Haha sorry kind of a back and forwards on email, I'll just talk to you on here. The mod shows up on android, but it doesn't load the map. I checked the log file (thats if the [modname].info is the log file) in it after already, but it didn't appear to show any errors. Do I need to change the log level in the mod exporter to see things like that?

34. AiDev123

AiDev123

quick update I just re exported the mod with the logging level on error to see if that would show me errors and it didn't seem to do anything different

35. Crayz

Crayz

Awesome tool, thank you.

36. ZombieMan_0901

ZombieMan_0901

Accidentally put on page 2, but im wondering if this has UWP support?

37. Player11132

Player11132

Hello, I have a question regarding that API stuff. I may have understood wrong what it does. What I think it does is it enables the modder to use commands in a set namespace? For example I want the modder to be able to use the SpawnBot() by simply saying
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using game_mod_tools;
    or in namespace game_mod_tools for example, is that possible with this plugin? Also, does it check for duplicate prefabs already in the build? Or is there a way to do that?

38. HelloMeow

HelloMeow

API Assemblies doesn't use namespaces, but assemblies. These are the compiled code you can get from building a C# project, or by using Asssembly Definitions in your unity project.

ModTool doesn't check for duplicate prefabs. I think it would be a bit difficult to define what counts as a duplicate. There would have to be some kind of system that lets you include prefabs in the mod tools, which currently isn't there.

39. Daar375

Daar375

Is there anyway to use an inherited classes from the main project when making mods? I would like to standardize the mod making process for ease to use, but i am not sure if the mod supports it

40. HelloMeow

HelloMeow

You can include classes which the mod project can inherit from, if that's what you mean. You can add a .dll or Assembly Definition name to "API Assemblies" in ModTool's settings, which will then be included in the importer.

In recent versions of Unity this is a bit buggy, because I haven't spent a lot of time updating ModTool. It should still work, but Unity will complain. I'm currently working on a big update for ModTool which makes all of this much easier.

41. HelloMeow

HelloMeow

For the next update I'm overhauling the export process, adding support for addressables and adding shared assets between game and mod projects. Mod scripts used to be exported via a complicated process, which is now replaced with a much more streamlined and robust method using Assembly Definitions.

Instead of having to fumble around with API assemblies, you will be able to select what you want to include in the exporter, including scripts, assembly definitions, prefabs and any other type of asset. You'll also be able to use addressables, which lets modders use any shared asset without making duplicates each time a mod is exported.

If anyone is still following this thread and has any related or unrelated feature requests, please let me know.

J2T and itsugamer like this.
  42. roundyyy

roundyyy

Hi! I cannot figure out one thing. I had project on 2018.4 and lightmaps mods were working fine, since I upgraded project to 2019.4 , mods with lightmaps have broken light. Most of the materials are black. The weird thing is that when I change shader during runtime on these black assets, then lightmaps are back. For example if mod have diffuse shader and I switch in loaded mod to standard, then lightmaps are back, same opposite. If I switch from standard to diffuse (or any other) then lightmaps are back. Seems like changing shader refreshes this. Not sure if it's something with my project settings...still investigating, but maybe you will have some idea. Thanks for great tool! :)

ps. I see that there are some updates on github, version in project is roughly 2 years old

edit : I disabled all shader stripping, lightmap modes are custom set to all. Also they are black even if I test it in editor, not on build, so it wouldn't be lack of shaders I think

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  43. HelloMeow

HelloMeow

I think I've never used lightmaps in Unity. Is there a specific way to set this up so I can test it?

44. roundyyy

roundyyy

Just create simple mod with couple static objects, turn on global illumination , set to shadowmask for example, set directional light to mixed or baked and bake it. Then load this mod and you will notice that materials are black, unless you will switch shader, then lightmaps will appear. Weird is that we had this working before migrating project to 2019, but somehow broke now. If I figure this out, I will post some update here

45. HelloMeow

HelloMeow

Lightmaps seem to work for me in version 2019.4.39f1.

All ModTool does to load a scene is load it from an asset bundle. If that doesn't work properly, I think it's probably an issue with Unity itself. I'm not sure what could be wrong, although I did find some other people having issues with lightmaps and assetbundles in Unity 2019.

46. roundyyy

roundyyy

Thanks for checking this. I'm going to investigate it more. Were your project settings default? It could be something there. Also do project settings in mod itself matters when exporting or it's just snapshot of editor scene?

47. HelloMeow

HelloMeow

I tested this with a clean project and default settings.

The main game's project settings are included when creating the exporter. The mod's project settings won't be exported.

If there's a mismatch between the game's and mod's project settings it could cause some issues. Especially with tags and input settings. I don't know if it's causing the issues you're experiencing.

roundyyy likes this.
  48. roundyyy

roundyyy

Seems like problem solved. Mod project setting had to have manual lightmap modes selected, automatic was not working correctly

49. HelloMeow

HelloMeow

ModTool 2.0 here! This version brings many breaking changes. Redundant features have been removed and most other features have been completely reworked.

Version 2.0 is now available on the Asset Store and gitHub:
    https://github.com/Hello-Meow/ModTool/releases/tag/2.0
    http://u3d.as/Diq

Change log:
    -Added shared assets
    -Added shared packages
    -Improved exporter creation
    -Improved mod export process
    -Improved mod object management
    -Removed ModBehaviour and related classes
    -Simplified mod loading
    -Added Resource.errors