Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Open Source][Free] MassiveNet: Unity Networking Library for Massive Games

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by InhumaneJake, Oct 11, 2014.

1. InhumaneJake

InhumaneJake

Hello!

After many months of work and a failed attempt at garnering attention on the Asset Store, I've decided to release MassiveNet into the wild.

Both the README and the Wiki on GitHub provide specifics about functionality and how to get started. There you can also find the ready-to-run asset package under releases.

Check it out: https://github.com/jakevn/MassiveNet

Community participation, including feedback, bug reports, and pull requests are welcome.

Thanks for checking it out! :)

elias_t and twobob like this.
  2. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

So does this mean you are abandoning the other modules? I think a lot of people have been bit by buying unfinished projects over the past couple of months. That is probably why you didn't see as much attention. I'm kinda wishing I would have hesitated a bit longer now that you are giving it away. :(

3. JamesPro

JamesPro

Ok so I have created an Authentication Server, World Server, Zone Server, and Client. I have the Client connecting to the Authentication Server. I then went to test it on our Amazon Cloud Server Instance. I put the Server's public IP Address in as the Address for the Authentication Server to bind to. It came back saying that it was an invalid IP and couldn't Bind to it. So the Client ended up not being able to connect. I then did some research and I changed it to 0.0.0.0 as the address for it to bind to. Now it's working just fine. The Client can connect and everything works just fine based on my limited Testing.

Is this the correct address to be putting in or is there some other address I should be putting in to get it to work? Is there any negative effects I'll run into by putting in 0.0.0.0 as the address to bind to?

4. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

0.0.0.0 is the loop back address. While it works, I would use 127.0.0.1 instead as it is the true "localhost" address.

5. JamesPro

JamesPro

127.0.0.1 ONLY allows me to connect when trying to connect from the same machine. It doesn't work with the Server on a remote machine.

Then with the public IP like I've always used with other networking engines it says it can't bind to the public IP.

6. Tnagele

Tnagele

Hey, I have a general question, I need to know if it is possible to have the server hosted without the graphical interface from unity, for example is it possible to have the project in a C# windows form or something, as If I am hosting this on a dedicated server I can't even open it as the GPU is Standard VGA. If that is possible an explanation or some sort of tutorial would be nice, thanks.

7. lorenalexm

lorenalexm

Tnagele likes this.
  8. Tnagele

Tnagele

Thanks for your reply, I'll note this for later.