Search Unity

open source eye tracking... but really though?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by kekkked, Dec 9, 2017.

1. kekkked

kekkked

Pupil Labs website says "open source eye tracking". https://pupil-labs.com/
    Does this mean we can use the source code with other cameras?
    Because if not, I don't see the benefit in this. if you are going to sell the hardware for 1390 EUR for just one camera and if code is locked to your camera, well, the open source doesn't do much. And someone who has experience with such cameras, 1390 in my humble opinion is a steal, when you can get 120Hz at 1080p sensors with lenses and USB or ethernet interfaces in the 100 USD range.
    But okay, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, they may be using very clean and precise sensors, zero latency etc... fine.

Then you notice on the site they sell a micro-usb to usb-c adapter for older units for 210 EUR... oh yeah, fine, nothing wrong there, lanes are probably made of adamantium.

Okay, rant aside, is their "open source" code usable with other cameras? Anyone tried?
    if not, do we have anything "better" for eye tracking that doesn't cost s much as a Vive+Oculus+a decent PC to use them on? I don't feel like adding features related to eye tracking to my games if players aren't willing to sell their kidneys.

Thanks all.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  2. pupilpupil

pupilpupil

Hi, I just found this and thought I can fill in some gaps.

Pupil Labs software works with most uvc cameras (thats the usb standard for video capture devices.) So yes, you can indeed make your own HW and connect it to our software. The revenue we generate from HW sales is used to improve the software.

The usb-c adapter is in fact a high speed USB3 Hub custom made by us. The reason this is not 30EUR is because we make these a low volume... Thats being said Pupil is really a research tool.

We also have users putting our HW into standalone VR headsets when they need more mobility.

I hope this is helpful!