Search Unity

Open-Letter Complaint Regarding Unity Licensing

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Mark-Ripley, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Mark-Ripley

Mark-Ripley

I've been using Unity for 10 years or so now. I have one Pro license, that I alone use. I pay $75 per month to use this software.

I have a main development machine, in the office. I have a laptop for tinkering with projects at home, and I fire up a Mac purely to make iOS builds. With the current licensing system, this setup is a proper pain in the arse, as it allows only two machines per license.

Why are you punishing paying customers this way?

Sure, if these machines were all running Unity concurrently, then I can see that would be an abuse of the license - but to prevent access to software purely because you've got it installed on other machines?

To make things worse, Unity often randomly decides that the license is no longer valid; so I have to dig out the serial and remind it I'm a paying customer. Not the end of the world, but annoying.

Could we have a fairer, more flexible way to license this software please?

Moonjump likes this.
  2. firejerm

firejerm

License says two machines. You agreed to that when paying.
    Use free version to tinker at home. Any pro features you need will have to be done at the office.

An "Add a machine" option for about $15 or so would be nice.

btw, where is the $75 plan at? All I see is $35 and $125. $35 can be on two computers.

Did you get life locked into some older plan?

3. Mark-Ripley

Mark-Ripley

I get a discount on the $125 plan, ‘cos I was one of the first customers.

True, I could use Personal at home, but frankly, why should I?

4. Moonjump

Moonjump

You cannot mix licences on a project, so be careful about how you use Personal.

Unity is cross platform, so many need Windows and Mac installations (I certainly had to when I was doing iOS and Windows Mobile dev), and many use a desktop and a laptop with their preferred OS, so the need for 3 or more installations is common.

If a licence is single user, and machines cannot be use concurrently, I don't see a negative for Unity in allowing more installs, but I do see positives for users.