Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Open invitation to Node Graph Editor Developer Roundtable group

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by delaneyking, May 1, 2021.

1. delaneyking

delaneyking

(Hi Admin, cannot find a suitable spot for this post, so please contact me if you have a better home)

I am starting an initiative to get node graph editor tools developers from a wide range of packages together and talk about developing an industry standard for node editor user experience. This includes gamedev, 3d packages and plug in developers.

All node editors share common tasks such as linking, unlinking, swapping inputs, commenting, inserting nodes, diverting, aligning and so forth However, jumping from package to package all day can be frustrating as they are all subtly different. Unity to Substance, Blender to Unity, even Shader editors to visual scripting within the same packages can vary, as they are often plugins that have been developed seperately

The idea is discuss and agree on a set of standard behaviors and then help everyone implement that standard in their own package (as default or as an optional preset). This would be purely for the way the user interacts with the node graph, and does not affect or include what the nodes do, the data that passes through them and so forth. The potential to share UI graphical elements, open source librarys, raise developer funds via kickstarter to pay for implementation may spring from this, but initially it is just about getting together and chatting to create a smoother time for everyone!

I therefore invite all developers involved in node graph tools (such as Unity itself, Amplify, Hutong, Flowcanvas and... well, you can see where I am going with the need to bring us all together!) to come say hi and chat at the discord, and hopefully we can make the lives of our users easier and more consistent across the board.

2. delaneyking

delaneyking

I can be reached at delaneykingart (at) gmail.com