Search Unity

OnSerialize and dirty state (confused by docs)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by liortal, Jun 13, 2015.

1. liortal

liortal

Hey,

I am a little confused by the docs on this matter (taken from: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UNetStateSync.html)
    This is followed by the following (a few lines below):
    This seems to be contradictive. Can someone please explain how the flow really goes ?

2. seanr

seanr

Unity Technologies

Yes, we need better examples and docs for this.

• each networkbehaviour has a dirty mask.
    • changing SyncVars or calling SetDirtyBit() write to this mask
    • NetworkIdentity objects are checked on the server as part of it's update loop
    • if any networkbehaviours on a NetworkIdentity are dirty, then an UpdateVars packet is created for that object
    • this packet is populated by calling OnSerialize on each NetworkBehaviour on the object
    • NetworkBehaviour that are NOT dirty write a zero byte to the packet for their dirty bits
    • if OnSerialize returns true, the dirty mask is reset for that NetworkBehaviour
    • the packet is sent to ready clients that are observing the object

• on the client, an UpdateVars packet is received for an object
    • OnDeserialize is called for each NetworkBehaviour script on the object
    • scripts read a dirty mask - if it is zero they return immediately
    • non-dirty scripts read data from the stream based on the dirty bits

This is a little more complex in practice because different scripts can use different QoS channels. In that case, there is a packet for each channel.

3. liortal

liortal

This is still a bit confusing - you're saying that "if any networkbehaviours on a NetworkIdentity are dirty, then an UpdateVars packet is created for that object", but then "NetworkBehaviour that are NOT dirty write a zero byte to the packet for their dirty bits".

How is that possible?

The only scenario i can think is that if an object has multiple NetworkBehaviour scripts, where one might be marked as dirty (e.g: i updated a SyncVar on that script) and did not update the other scripts. This will trigger an update packet, where only the NetworkBehaviour whose SyncVar i updated will need to serialize its data, and all the others won't do anything (write a zero byte as you said).

4. seanr

seanr

Unity Technologies

that is exactly correct.