Search Unity

OnMouseExit and OnMouseDown Question

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by kfrench16, Feb 11, 2010.

1. kfrench16

kfrench16

I have attached a script to a gameobject with OnMouseOver and OnMouseExit functions. The OnMouseOver fires.

However, about 1 or 2 seconds later the OnMouseExit function fires even though I have not moved the mouse.

I have no gamepads or joysticks that might interfere currently hooked up.

Is this working correctly? Would this interfere with the OnMouseDown function not to fire?

EDIT: I've been playing with this some more. It seems after a few milliseconds, the mouse is no longer registered as being over the object. Everything works as expected when the scene first fires up. A few seconds later and OnMouseOver goes screwy.

2. VeganApps

VeganApps

Can you post the code you are using here ?

3. kfrench16

kfrench16

Yep. It'll have to wait until I get home from work though.

4. kfrench16

kfrench16

It seems I am having problems with Input.GetMouseButtonDown or Up as well. They are acting "slugishly" for lack of a better term. Everything works fine the first few seconds of the scene and then it is hit or miss if the mouse down or up is registered.

If I use just GetMouseButton, everything works although I'll get half a dozen registrations of the event in an Update function (which I expected).

I was using the Inputs using Raycast with the following code:
    Code (csharp):
    2.  if (Input.GetMouseButtonUp(1)) {
    3.      ray = Camera.main.ScreenPointToRay(Input.mousePosition);
    6.         if (Physics.Raycast(ray, hit))
    7.         {
    8.             if (hit.collider != null)
    9.             {
    10.                 if(hit.collider.gameObject.GetComponent(enemyInfo) != null)
    11.                 {
    12.                                         print("hit");
    13.                                 }
    14.             }
    15.                     }
    16.         else
    17.         {
    18.             print("Hit nothing");
    19.         }
    20.     }
    I'm not sure if it is my machine or if I am using the function incorrectly. Any thoughts? Please note: I have ray and hit declared at the beginning of the script.

5. andeeeee

andeeeee

Have you definitely got a collider on the object the raycast is supposed to detect?

6. kfrench16

kfrench16

Yep.

I played around some more with this last night. I used the Input.GetMouseButton(0) and got a hit with no problems.

Using the same function with a boolean to hold true when held and false when not, that is when I noticed the intermittent hits. I assume the mousebuttonup/down work the same way.

Does this event fire every frame while the button is held?

I did notice some older threads on the forum with similar problems that were never resolved (at least on the forums).

Machine specs if it helps
    Windows 7
    i7 920
    6gb ram
    Radeon 4850

7. VeganApps

VeganApps

GetMouseButton is fired as long as you hold down the mouse button every frame. GetMouseButtonUp/Down is only fired once when you press down or release the mouse button.