Search Unity

only reacting to events when their outcome is visible

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by holyjewsus, May 24, 2015.

1. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

I have a event driven system implementing INotifyPropertyChanged, sometimes this event gets fired many times per frame, and all the handlers update many times per frame, this is all just user interface stuff that doesn't need to be updated until the last event fires for that frame.

I'm looking for a pattern or an idea for only handling events that will actually produce visible results, basically I only need to actually handle the last event each frame per object.

any ideas?

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

LateUpdate might work. Simply keep track of the most recent event called, then execute in LateUpdate.

3. Jodon

Jodon

There's a few ways I handle these situations, it depends when you need them to occur. LateUpdate as suggested is pretty good, but you need to store which properties updated in some kind of container, and always check if there's already an entry.

Otherwise you can just compare the current and last value, and if it hasn't changed don't update.
    You can check that you only update once per Time.frameCount. E.g. if Time.frameCount > lastUpdatedFrame.