Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Only a Unity splash screen in Samsung VR

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Remzo, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Remzo

Remzo

Hi all,

I just started with Unity, trying to develop for Samsung VR. I followed this tutorial for installment. I had to change it a little since i'm on a mac (yosemite).

I can see my scene perfectly in playmode. I can build to an apk for Android. I checked the build settings. I checked my device ID/ signature file. I downloaded only free versions of Android Studio and Unity. (the combination pro and fee seems problematic).

My problem is that i only see a 2 dimensional Unity Logo on startup (in the gear) and that is all. Nothing happens. Does someone recognise this error/ what did i probably do wrong...?

Thanks,
    Remzo

unity version 5.0.0.f4 personal
    jdk 8u 40 macosx x64
    Java for oxx2014
    OVR mobile sdk 0.4.3
    Android studio 1.1.0

2. Remzo

Remzo

Update:

I think the fault could be in the way i followed this instruction:
    6. Try to install Android SDK. When it asks you to download and install the JDK, click the link and do so. When you run the JDK installer it will show you the installation location. When it shows you this, copy it, add "bin" to the installation location, and add this to your PATH environment variable.

- I didn't add bin
    - I didn't change the path variable
    Mainly because I don't know how on a mac, and because i'm think this is typical for Windows. Is it?

If I make an simple project in Android Studio, just to test it says:

Android SDK location:
    /Users/remzokoffij/Library/Android/sdk

JDK location:
    /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home

And in compiling the project the error messages states that JDK 7 is needed.

This is to difficult! (-;

3. jjlin

jjlin

Check on the Oculus forums, there's a known issue with Unity 5 and the Oculus mobile SDK. Nobody can get it working yet :)

Try it using 4.6.3 and you should be able to at least get past that stage.

4. Remzo

Remzo

Thanks sooo much.

I did that AND i changed the Android manifest (page 6 bottom). It worked! I'm so happy. The only thing is that i've experienced that Unity 5 is so much better :(.... Hopefully it will work in the near future!!

5. JDMulti

JDMulti

Sounds like a 4.6.3 issue with not getting the splashscreen is present in Unity 5.x? It was recently fixed in 4.6.3p1, but could still be inside unity 5. However I see too much issues that people are having with VR and Unity 5, that I'm waiting for a new release and see them fixed.

6. ozoner

ozoner

I am also going to wait for Unity to sort out there issues with Unity 5 and Gear VR (Android). I presently have three projects on the burner so we will just work on the PC/Mac versions and move over to the Gear versions when things get fixed on Unity's side.

7. ceospet

ceospet

All your infos cleared things a little bit up. Thank you for that.

What just seems weird is the fact not to use Unity Pro without having Android Pro. Do you have any more info on that or a pointer to a statement?