Search Unity

Only 4 layers for terrain?

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Jesper-Nielsen, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Jesper-Nielsen

Jesper-Nielsen

Edit: Turns out URP supports more than 4 layers out of the box. It's just a limit on how many textures can be used per render pass. I tested and it works - but of course affects performance, and Lars Bertram mentioned broken normals.
    I guess the documentation aught to be updated.

<original text:>

I'm considering looking into URP since I really want my game to be playable for people with integrated graphics (such as myself atm...)
    I've been looking through the comparison and it seems to me the most important showstopper is the restriction of 4 layers for a terrain, which is not quite enough for me.
    Does anyone know if this restriction should be expected to be a permanent restriction and fundamental to URP, or if there is some hope that this will change in the future?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  2. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

apart from broken normals... the shader supports add passes which lets you use 8, 12, 16 layers afaik.

Jesper-Nielsen likes this.
  3. Jesper-Nielsen

Jesper-Nielsen

Thanks. I take it I would have to write a custom renderer to make these extra passes happen or does it work out of the box?
    Broken normals - are you talking about what would happen if 2 normal mapped layers are drawn in separate passes?