Search Unity

Online multiplayer military sports game: Tank Football

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JonRurka, Jan 30, 2017.

1. JonRurka

JonRurka

Have you ever sat there watching American football, or playing football, with normal human players running around tackling each other wondering if this could somehow be played in big, heavy, metal vehicles with canons? The answer to this question is in most cases, probably not. In this game, however, that is exactly what you do, online in teams of 11 players with all the strategy and suspense of football, played in military tanks.

The game uses an army style ranking system for progression, so every new account starts out as a Private (E-1) and is granted Private 2nd Class (E-2) upon the completion of a basic tutorial. There after, players are promoted based on experience gained through playing matches. Ranks are grouped into tiers (2 - 4 ranks in a tier). Upon reaching a tier you are granted a new tank from a selection of tanks. Tanks can only play against tanks in the same tier, so you can be the highest rank in the game and still fight in the lowest tier if you use a tank from that tier. Standard matches will pair teams randomly, except for team matches which give players the ability to form their own teams. The game will be completely free, and will not be pay to win. Tank skins, however, will be available for purchase as well as other cosmetic items.

I would really like to know if this is a game you'd enjoy playing. Advertising tips to get the name out there would also be very helpful, as I seem to be failing on that front so far. I also need to test to make sure enough people can play in a single match (22 or more), and will make a thread for people to volunteer for it on my forum. Any other advice for what you think the game could use and what you think I should do away with is appreciated.

Indiedb page: http://www.indiedb.com/games/tank-football

twitter: https://twitter.com/TankFootGame

Thanks You!

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

This will most likely be the most difficult part for this game to be successful. Getting 22 people online at the same time to work together as a team is a difficult task.
    Even in online shooters created for team based tactics to be superior to rambo style play, with squad sized teams (you currently are hoping for platoon sized teams) very rarely does the entire team work as one complete killing unit.
    Plus getting people to play as the offensive linemen while others get to be qb, running back and receivers and defenders (which sounds like it would be the most fun) would cause a lot of player drop outs mid game.

Have you considered AI for the linemen, and trying to set up the game to require less players for each side. Say 4 per side and the rest AI? That might be more do-able and set the game up to be more successful.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  3. JonRurka

JonRurka

That is a good point, theANMATOR2b. I think I will have it put as many actual players in as possible (if the player queue is full, fill a match), and then the rest AIs. And as they drop out, replace their player with an AI. To attempt them to work as a team, for standard matches I want to randomly select a new QB per play, have the QB select from a list of plays, randomly place the other players in roles, then show each player a graphic of their role. Have the defense placed procedurally based off of the offensive placement.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Wouldn't this cause the offense to have an advantage over the defense every play for veteran players?

Common football defenses move players around to confuse the offense so there block assignments are missed and plays are broken up. Also - what if the defense wants to put two rushing LBs on the left side and shift the line to the right so they are mis-aligned with the O line?
    What about a blitzing free safety with only 2 deep?
    Or different formations, I prefer to play a 3-3-5. Would I have this option instead of common 3-4, 4-3, nickel, dime defense formations?

Just some things to consider - for the defensive side of the ball. :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  5. JonRurka

JonRurka

Yea, To solve that could pick a leader of the defensive line and show them a simple preset based off the offensive line's positions, and let player edit it.