Search Unity

Third Party Online Matchmaking with Mirror

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Tornadoally, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Tornadoally

Tornadoally

Hello all, I am creating a multiplayer game using Mirror and I am new to networking, I have made my game fully functional on both clients, but I can only host and join on localhost. Again I am new and with Unity's Multiplayer being deprecated I have been doing hours of research and found myself stuck. If anyone knows how I can make hosting and joining rooms (like in Brackey's Multiplayer FPS series from 17-21 "
    " Help is greatly appreciated! Thank you! :D

2. Tornadoally

Tornadoally

Nevermind I finally found a solution

3. mischa2k

mischa2k

What did you use?

We are working on a matchmaking service right now too :)

MentalGames likes this.
  4. Tornadoally

Tornadoally

Tom Weiland's tutorial series, I'm happy if this can help you!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  5. mischa2k

mischa2k

Haven't watched it yet, sorry.
    We are about to release a list server service and will look into matchmaking afterwards :)

6. davidmgordon16

davidmgordon16

@Tornadoalli can u send the script? i literaly are working on that too with mirror (the scripts u changed)

7. davidmgordon16

davidmgordon16

@vis2k hey, how are things going with the matchmaking? (will it be able to use over different networks?)

8. Tornadoally

Tornadoally

@davidmgordon16
    I didn't change any scripts, I started from scratch using that tutorial series, by Tom Wieland. You may have to restart, but that could be a good thing!

9. unity_Y0Ec4trCptbzTA

unity_Y0Ec4trCptbzTA

For everybody who is reading this later like me: You can put the IP of the host into the Client box(normaly there is localhoste). But the problehm is that your Wifi router will block you. So you have do use a delicited server oder try to trick you Wifi router its very difficulty. But if the host and the client are in the same Wifi network. It would work without problehms.

PS: Sry for my bad englisch.

10. tomweiland

tomweiland

In order to make connections from outside the host computer's network possible, you need to portforward the port that the server is running on. This is done in your router settings and normally isn't too difficult, but it's slightly different for every router, so your best bet is to do a Google search for "how to portforward" and include your router model & brand :)

raajcm1 likes this.
  11. WeatherStone

WeatherStone

well, im new to mirror, been trying it to understand how it work and so on
    i made a small test game, and decided to try hamachi, and well, it worked nicely
    not the best solution, but for simple tests, works ok =)

12. mischa2k

mischa2k

Use our Epic transport guys. Free relay, free CCU :)

13. LuxindraGaming

LuxindraGaming

hi, @vis2k @Tornadoally @tomweiland @unity_Y0Ec4trCptbzTA I'm new in multiplayer game with mirror networking and I'm still learning. I want one help from you guys, how I join random room and if there is no room available then create its own room. is there any way to do that. if you have any solution with the script please provide.

Thanks in advance.

14. Jicefrost

Jicefrost

same question :( got own server, but I need matchmaking system

Punfish and shinichikudo997 like this.
  15. shinichikudo997

shinichikudo997

Same here, stuck on matchmaking. The video is not available either.

16. Jicefrost

Jicefrost

I found that in new demo "boss room" (from last month ) there is "quick join" button. I think it can be used to simple matchmaking join..

17. Erfan1386

Erfan1386

you can use the playfab take a look at playfab.com

18. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

As an alternative to existing third-party services and if you are interested in hosting a server-authoritative Mirror-based game on a dedicated server of your own, our Dedicated Server Kit was specifically created to help with this. It is the evolution of Master Server Kit, which did the same thing for UNET-based games.

It is a paid asset with no associated subscription costs and it is intended to be used as a starting point and reference for building your own backend. Please note this option means you are solely responsible for the administration and running costs of your server.