Search Unity

Question Online game where you can view other players' bases

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Splutchy, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Splutchy

Splutchy

Hi, I'm extremely new to unity, I have a question regarding multiplayer online.

I want to make a game which includes a way to view other players' bases/houses and see what they have made.

I don't need to make it so that you and another player's character can move around and you can see each other moving in real time, I just want to have the ability to view what their base looks like, with them not in it, just their base.

Would this be possible in any way and if so how? I'm aware that this would probably require a large server to host it on but I'm just curious if because there's no real time interaction with other players if it would be easier? I'm not sure but any help is really appreciated : )

Thanks

2. MrBigly

MrBigly

Are still photos adequate, or would you like to move a camera around the other player's base?

Do you want this to be available offline or only in game?

Splutchy likes this.
  3. Splutchy

Splutchy

Still photo which you could zoom in on would definitely work

I would be fine with it not being available offline - I think forgot to mention that I'm planning to do it as a web game, that might change it a bit sorry haha

4. MrBigly

MrBigly

How did you envision establishing the camera's perspective of another person's base that they create? For example, do you plan to have the player who created the base to position a camera asset with a desired viewing perspective for others to use (or to take a snapshot with)?

Or do you intend to automatically create a camera and generate what your algorithm thinks would be a decent perspective, cross your fingers and hope it doesn't catch the back side or miss the more interesting elements? If so, how do you intend to decide where to position the camera?

These are questions you need to work through, then someone may be able to give you pointers on how to go about solving your problem.

If you want to know how I would do it, I would let the player put a camera where they want to show the base to show off the features they want people to see. However, this works only if they remember and if they want people to see their bases. I am not even certain if this is an incentive for players. Do they want people to see their bases? Or does the game provide incentive for them to hide it, or obfuscate its appearance? If the latter, then you need to generate it automatically.

If that is the case, you may want to automatically choose a perspective that points to where a door is located. That would likely be the best perspective of "the front" of the base.

Just some thoughts to think about.