Search Unity

OnGUI Button To Auto Position according to screen Resolution

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by HBK_, Jan 13, 2018.

1. HBK_

HBK_

Hi everyone,i have a Repeat Type OnGUI Button in a script and on unity's player it shows my button exactly where i wanted it to but on devices with other resolution it doesn't show the button where i placed it i wanna make my OnGUI Button to reposition itself on other devices with different resolution to that place where it was placed before.Here's the snippet of that button code:

Code (CSharp):
    1.        if (GUI.RepeatButton (new Rect (leftcontrolright, leftcontrolup, leftcontrolxsize, leftcontrolysize), "move left")){
    2.             Vector3 v3Force = thrust * -transform.right;
    3.             rb.AddForce(v3Force);
    4.         }
    any idea how to do that?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  2. methos5k

methos5k

Just out of curiousity, can you describe where the button is on the screen? :)

3. HBK_

HBK_

Hi Methos5k,Its on bottom left corner.....

4. methos5k

methos5k

So, then how you determine the bottom left position should be based on the screen height, I think, yes?

5. methos5k

methos5k

Note: with UGUI components, you can set anchors to corners :)

6. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Like @methos5k points out, I would highly recommend using the "new" Unity GUI system (which is now four years old) instead of OnGUI().

If you insist on using OnGUI(), I would make a handy rectangle-creation function like so:

Code (csharp):
    1.     Rect MR( float x, float y, float w, float h)
    2.     {
    3.         return new Rect (Screen.width * x, Screen.height * y, Screen.width * w, Screen.height * h);
    4.     }
    Then when you use it in OnGUI, to put a button in the lower right, you would do:

Code (csharp):
    1. void OnGUI()
    2. {
    3.     if (GUI.Button( MR( 0.80f, 0.90f, 0.20f, 0.10f), "Button"))
    4.     {
    5.         // do your stuff
    6.     }
    7. }
    In both X and Y directions the screen becomes addressible as 0.0f to 1.0f. That's how I do it when I use the old OnGUI() system. Upper left would be (0,0) and lower right would be (1,1) regardless of screen resolution.

Aspect ratio may still be a concern however, but this is left as a mathematical exercise to the UI designer. :) Meanwhile, you owe yourself to at least look at the new UI...