Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games ONEIRO - a nightmarish roguelite

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ZaffreSheep, Jun 16, 2019.

1. ZaffreSheep

ZaffreSheep

Every time you go to sleep, you live through a nightmare. You find yourself in the center of a procedural generated dungeon filled with treasures, items, weapons, and enemies.
    ---------------------------
    Treasure chests: Treasures are generated all around the Labyrinth, inside, and out. They will always contain items, though the chests furthest away from the center will hold the strongest loot.

Items:
    There are currently 20+ unique items for the player to find. Each of these items can have an effect anywhere from a simple boost to their attack stat, all the way up to a double jump, or even allowing the player to consume killed enemies for health!
    Item Stacking: Every item can stack to increase its original effect. For example, the Magical Lamp item gives the player an extra jump. Collect 6 of these, and you can jump 6 additional times in the air. Another example would be an item called Fiery Essence, which causes enemies to explode upon death, though if you collect more of these, the damage and radius of the explosion are increased. There is no limit on this.

Gear: Gear are the players usable items. They include your typical gear like Life Potions, and Antidotes, and also include some such as Dice(Randomized effect upon using), and Beacons(leave a harmless beacon where you stand).

Weapons:
    Weapons are the player's main source of damage, and are scattered throughout the labyrinth. the 4 types of weapons are Swords, Sledgehammers, Spears, and Karambits. Each of these weapons has benefits and drawbacks, so it's up to the player to decide which weapons fit their playstyle the best!

Enemies:
    Enemies will target the player, and try to kill them. They are split into Normal enemies and Elite enemies. Elite enemies are found in Weapon Chambers, and on the way up the Altar Tower. They are meant to be much more difficult and prove as a challenge for the player. There are not many enemies in the game as of now, but that is changing with every couple of updates.

---------------------------
    Use everything in the Labyrinth as your disposal. Collect items, find the best weapon, use your best strategy, and face off against the physical manifestation of fear.

Bridge.png demonsword.png
    Karambit.png Shadowbeast.png

Links

Itch Download: https://zaffresheep.itch.io/oneiro
    Gamejolt Download: https://gamejolt.com/games/oneiro/420370
    Official Discord: https://discord.gg/CuwKPpU
    Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/zaffre_sheep

Please let me know what you think of my work! Tell me any bugs you come across, strange occurrences, and any suggestions you might have to improve the game!​

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  2. ZaffreSheep

ZaffreSheep

Version 0.7.3 - Visual changes, new enemies, and inspection boxes

I'm back with an update on this after weeks of work! This version includes 4 major additions to the game!

ZZZ_ReleaseVersionAlpha073.png

-New Enemy - Mimic: Each treasure chest now has a small chance to be a mimic in disguise. Mimics are going to be startled upon any interaction from the player, and will run away very quickly. Occasionally they will stop in their tracks, and throw out 3 bombs to destroy the Labyrinth. Upon being killed, they can drop any Unique tier item.
    -New Enemy - Golem: Golems are the slowest enemy, but they make up for it in defense and offense alike. If the golem see you, they'll slam the ground in front of them, and emit a massive slow moving shock wave to destroy the Labyrinth, and to push the player away. Upon being killed, they can drop the Golem Fragment.
    -Inspection Boxes: Inspection boxes now show up when a player looks at an item or weapon. These inspection boxes are supposed to help players know what they are picking up before committing to the item ability. In regards to the weapon inspection, the game will compare the new values with your current values, for easy comparison.
    -New Visuals: I've added several new textures and shaders to help give this game a very unique feel.

Labyrinth Alpha Gif 2.gif

3. ZaffreSheep

ZaffreSheep

Version 0.7.4 - Torches, Scoring, Karambit, Status Effects, and Optimization

Well, that's a good chunk for this update.
    Hey everyone! I got this month's version released, finally. I've been adding a lot of various additions, and fixing a load of bugs and more. Here's a summarized changelog for the forum post!
    ZZZ_ReleaseVersionAlpha074.png

Torches
    - Torches have been added to the Labyrinth generation process. In this game, torches should be thought of as utilities, as opposed to light sources. They are a fire source, which can burn enemies and the player alike. As an extra bit, the player can even attack these torches to launch them off the wall. This can prove to be useful, as you're able to launch torches towards enemies and ignite them.
    Oversized Torches - Each torch around the Labyrinth has a small chance to be an oversized torch. Oversized torches are large enough for the player to wield as a normal weapon. While the Torch isn't the best weapon in regards to damage, range, or combos, it is a portable fire source the player can use.

End Game Scoring System - At the end of each game, various stats will be displayed to the player, such as the foes defeated, items found, and what weapons you find. All of these are accumulated into a total score. This scoring system is meant to encourage people to play and top their previous high score, and even help them along the way with a random gameplay tip at the bottom explaining some functionality of something in the game.

New Weapon(Karambit) - The Karambit is a new weapon suggested by a player on the official discord server. It's the quickest attacking weapon, that also has the largest combo, so to balance the weapon, it has a low damage output and short range. This weapon can be found further away from the Labyrinth's center.

Status Effects - This is also another sorta big addition. Status effects are becoming more prevalent in this version. Burning is a new status effect, and the player can acquire that from walking into a torch, and even from the Red Wisp enemy. Another new effect is Freezing. Freezing can only be acquired by getting hit with the Blue Wisp traps, and it severely limits your mobility by cutting your speed into thirds, preventing jumping, and preventing attacking. All of these effects can be applied to the enemies as well, assuming they don't have an immunity to the effect.

Optimization - Whether you guys care about optimization or not, I don't know, but I do know that the game will run much better this version around. I spent a lot of time on this, so it's included as one of the notable changes in this version.

That's it for the summary! If you're curious about the full changelog, you can find it the download pages in the devlog section!

KarambitGif3mbLargeSize.gif
    Showing the new weapon, the Karambit, taking out a slime, and a wisp.
    -Ryan, ZSG

4. ZaffreSheep

ZaffreSheep

Version 0.7.5 - Hands, Menu Upgrade, and Arachnids

Heyo, back with another update!
    This update was kinda rough on me, but I got through it.
    ZZ_VersionReleaseCoverV075.png

Player Hands: Player hands are simply for visual effect, and have no actual impact on the game world. They show up with each weapon to give a more accurate representation of how the player is holding a certain weapon, and they also show up on ladders when you climb them.

Menu Overhaul:
    The title and pause menus have been replaced, and look much better, with custom made sprites, and more variety for options. You can now change stuff such as the quality level, the skin tone of the player, whether or not you render certain aspects, and whether or not you want a waterfall effect on the walls.

New Enemy - Arachnid:
    The Arachnid enemy is a new normal tier enemy, and they stay stationary until they feel the player's vibration through walking. Once they are startled, they will crawl all around the labyrinth's walls and ceilings, while occasionally laying eggs, and leaping at the player.

New Item - Spider Egg:
    The Spider Egg is a new item found through a small drop chance upon killing an Arachnid. Obtaining the Spider Egg grants the player two spider hatchlings to crawl out of enemy corpses, and leap at nearby enemies. Of course; obtaining more simply means more spider hatchlings from each kill.

Aside from those, the title of the game has changed to Oneiro. Labyrinth is way too common, and Oneirophobia is the fear of dreaming, so I took the first portion of that word.

Alrighty, that's a pretty small update, but it is a lot of fun when all the spiders work perfectly and overwhelm the player. Make sure to not let all the spiders lay their eggs!

-Ryan, ZSG

5. ZaffreSheep

ZaffreSheep

Version 0.7.6 - Improved Generation, Dev Console, and the Shadow Beast

Hey everyone, I'm back to announce that a new update for Oneiro is available on itch.io, and Gamejolt!
    ZZ_VersionReleaseCoverV076.png

Generation: The generation code has been rewritten from the ground up, and now more efficient and better overall. It can spawn special patterns, and spawns special engravings along the walls. Along with this, there are special centers the Labyrinth will have, which will have an influence on the general shape of the Labyrinth.

Dev Console: While I'm aware this is typically a tool for developmental purposes only, the game is quite interesting and fun to experience with the scaleable items and different weapons. I know this won't be a great addition in some eyes, but for those who like to see how extensive the item combinations can get, this is the best way.

New Enemy - Shadow Beast: The Shadow Beast is Oneiro's first miniboss, and is summoned by interacting with 5 engravings on the Labyrinth walls. He hides in a small shadow that traverses beneath the Labyrinth. When he appears, he'll be able to use his eye to shoot a laser towards you, or manifest concentrated shadows into a projectile and hurl it at you. In addition to these, he'll be able to pull pieces of the labyrinth downwards.

Devlog:

This update took a while, but I hope you all have fun with it! I've already begun working on the next version, and it's coming along great!

-Ryan, ZSG

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  6. ZaffreSheep

ZaffreSheep

Version 0.7.7 - Alternative Attacks & Spike Traps

I decided this time to get an update out there a little quicker, with a little less content due to the holidays coming up. More info on that in the devlog listed below.

ZZZ_ReleaseVersionAlpha077.png

Alternative Attacks: Alternative attacks are extra attacks at the players disposal, and they offer more variety and encourage different play styles with each weapon type. The devlog does a good job at explaining them, but for a quick summary...
    • Swords are a two part attack; the first hit slams the enemy with the hilt of the sword and paralyzes the enemy in their tracks, causing them to temporarily lose all AI. The second hit is a lunging stab that propels the player forwards.
    • Hammers, like the Swords, are a two part attack, but more focused on pure power, and crowd control. The first hit is an underhand swing that launches enemies upwards; afterwards, it's followed by an overhead slam to the ground to cause a shockwave that destroys all nearby structures.
    • Spears can be thrown as their alternative attack. They can impale enemies and structures alike. If thrown into a structure, the player can use it as ground to stand on.
    • Karambits will perform a counter attack upon using the alternative attack. Getting hit by an enemy who is still alive, while countering with a karambit, will cause you to teleport to the enemy, and perform a devastating stab to which you can even link right into the normal attack combo.

Spike Traps: Spikes will now generate along the floors and walls of the Labyrinth, and react only to the player. Upon detecting the player, the spikes will deploy, impaling the player, prohibiting them from moving, or attacking.

Devlog:

SpearThrow.gif
    -Ryan, ZSG

7. ZaffreSheep

ZaffreSheep

Version 0.7.8 Consumable Gear & Upcoming Plans

ZZZ_ReleaseVersionAlpha078Smaller.png

I recently released the next update in Oneiro!

For a full detailed changelog you can read it here: https://zaffresheep.itch.io/oneiro/devlog/115294/oneiro-alpha-078-gear-upcoming-plans

For the summarized version:
    • "Gear" can now be found through vases/pots around the labyrinth, and the player is limited to carrying 4 different types of items at any given time. Examples of these are Health Potions, Throwing Knives, Power Capsules, Dice, all with varying effects upon usage.
    • Gear can also "imbue" the player. Imbuing yourself will allow you to deal elemental damage through normal non-elemental weapons. In addition to this, imbuing yourself will "add" the element. Example of this is with the Torch weapon, which is considered a fire element. Using a fire Imbuement with the torch will enhance the burn effect and permit you to inflict Hellfire onto enemies.
    • Status effects work a little different and can mix and match. This works for both players and enemies alike.
    • There's an alternative music track that can be played.

In addition to this, I have also gone ahead and created a subreddit for the game, so check it out here if that interests you. I'll be keeping this subreddit updated with new additions, and I hope to see other players clips shared on here too!

-Ryan, ZSG

8. ZaffreSheep

ZaffreSheep

Version 0.7.9 - Kickstarter, Updated Trailer, and much needed polish
    ZZZ_ReleaseVersionAlpha079.png

Hey guys, I'm back to the forums to go over the new version!

As the title states, there's 3 things I'd like to bring up:
    • A Kickstarter Campaign has been created in hopes to bring the awareness up a little more. This Kickstarter is in a little bit of odd spot, as it's not vital to the games progress. If funded, it will simply make the workflow much smoother for me, and help the games audio.
    • The new trailer is located here, and at the original post on this thread. I spent several days revising it and getting feedback, and I'm convinced it's some of my best work. Give it a watch!
    • Polish. A lot, a lot of polish. This includes recreating the Real World within the game, giving humanoid figures to previously cylindrical character, a little bit extra content, and some refining on the Boss AI and narrative alike.
    A full list of changes can be found here: https://zaffresheep.itch.io/oneiro/devlog/122662/oneiro-079-kickstarter-and-polish

-Ryan, ZSG

9. ZaffreSheep

ZaffreSheep

Hey guys, no playable update this time, but I wanted to share the first of the new devlog structure!

It's less professional, but it really made the whole editing process much more fun, and I hope you all enjoy it.
    -Ryan

10. ZaffreSheep

ZaffreSheep

Got a 2nd devlog for the Nature Labyrinth development up and going late last night. It goes over some new animator controllers, bogs, and a good ol' fashioned plant enemy.

The whole video really wasn't planned for, and not my best work, but I'm gonna make the next one much better, like last week's devlog. Hope y'all enjoy it anyways!
    -Ryan

11. ZaffreSheep

ZaffreSheep

Made a 3rd devlog to cover what I did last week. I'm working on adding a new boss enemy for the 2nd Labyrinth!

This was really only partially scripted, but I still appreciate how it turned out. Hope you all enjoy!
    -Ryan

12. ZaffreSheep

ZaffreSheep

This week shows progress on a new attack; not too productive overall, but I'm happy with what I made this week here!

-Ryan

13. ZaffreSheep

ZaffreSheep

This week had focused on adding a grappling hook, and a couple items, and a new karambit!

-Ryan

14. ZaffreSheep

ZaffreSheep

I'm currently going through a small "dev block", and making much less progress than I normally do. I talk a little bit about it in this devlog, as well as cover what I managed to finish in the past week.

-Ryan

15. ZaffreSheep

ZaffreSheep

Hey guys!

Alright I've escaped that horrible lengthy "dev block" that I mentioned in my previous message a few months back. I'm back in the feel for development, and I'm close to completing the next major update.

The next update will focus on adding the 2nd Layer of the Labyrinth for players to explore. I aimed for this labyrinth to have a very different feel from the 1st Layer through the use of different enemies, weapons, items, generation, and overall atmosphere.

I also implemented Unarmed attacks, so that should change the gameplay up a lot, even for the 1st Layer!

It's a rather long devlog, but hopefully the editing, humor, and pacing will keep you guys intrigued throughout the video!

-Ryan

16. ZaffreSheep

ZaffreSheep

New Version - Additional Layer of the Labyrinth
    ItchLinkImage.png
    Not a week later, and I've released the new version! The big addition for this version is the new layer for the player to explore!
    Coming along with the new Layer, there's new enemies, weapons, generation, equipment, and new music! There's a ton of balance changes as well as bug/exploit fixes, and several new quality of life improvement/additions.

If you're curious about details, you can find the changelog, as well as the new version download at any of the links below.

https://zaffresheep.itch.io/oneiro/devlog/169050/oneiro-085-the-second-layer-of-the-labyrinth https://gamejolt.com/games/oneiro/420370
    https://www.indiedb.com/games/oneiro/downloads/oneiro-version-085

ezgif.com-optimize (3).gif ezgif.com-optimize (5).gif

17. ZaffreSheep

ZaffreSheep

New Devlog - Progress Report on the Third Layer of the Labyrinth - The Cavern

Hey everyone, I've decided to create another devlog here and show off what I've developed since the last update!
    The video covers/shows the following:
    • A new boss being developed; a giant volcano-dwelling dragon.
    • New environment for the 3rd layer, with additions such as bonfires, and stalactites
    • New enemies, such as a cerberus, and bats
    • New items that greatly improve the players efficiency and viability.
    • New weapons
    Hope you all enjoy my work!

-Ryan