Search Unity

One price for all platform?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter-Apple, Jun 1, 2014.

?

The price you are willing and able to pay:

Poll closed Sep 9, 2014.
  1. USD 750

29.3%
  2. USD 1000

9.8%
  3. USD 1500

29.3%
  4. USD 2000

9.8%
  5. USD 2500

7.3%
  6. USD 3000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. USD 3500

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. USD 4000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. USD 4500

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Above USD 4500

14.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Peter-Apple

Peter-Apple

Is it possible to pay one full price for all platform (PC, MAC, Linux, Android, iphone, ipad, blackberry, etc.)?
    Please consider factors like: how Unity help you to earn money, make you fun, achieve what you have been dreaming of, need you buy assets and training materials, etc... :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  2. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

3. nipoco

nipoco

You voted $750 for all Pro add-ons?

I'm for a more competitive price. But that is too cheap.

4. Peter-Apple

Peter-Apple

Someone earn $0 from this and use it once in a while
    because this is just a hobby... :)

5. nipoco

nipoco

Someone could argue that there is a free version, which also deploys to almost all platforms.

6. Peter-Apple

Peter-Apple

Different users have different choices. There is no right or wrong. Just base on users with different background.
    That's why there is option above USD 4500 :)

7. charmandermon

charmandermon

None of the above. I would rather pay $20 per month for the rest of my life for everything unity has to offer as well as all the build options included.

Unity moving to subscription based service was a fantastic start and that is where I will stay.

8. Grafos

Grafos

None of the above. They have to compete with UE on the pricing front

9. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I would pay $750 right now for Unity pro + all platforms, but its worth more then that. I just don't have enough money for it.

10. TheDMan

TheDMan

Dumb poll.

If you have the option "Above USD 4500" then you must include an option that says "Less than USD 750".

Who in their right might will pay 750 or more when all the competitors are substantially cheaper.

11. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

People who want to make games?

12. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I am a hobbyist. The poll does not have the option I would select. I'm willing to pay for a monthly subscription for Unity Pro if Unity will match the pricing and terms of UE4. I am not interested in paying a large lump sum every 2 to 3 years.

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'd usually be tempted to moderate this and merge it with a main thread, but there's no real merg-y place for it, so have at it :p

While I'm here:

4500 represents a logical price: 1500 + 1500 + 1500 = 4500.

But what if you want only Android, and not desktop? Here, it becomes problematic: 1500 + 1500 = 3000 even though you'll never use the desktop component. This means, for people developing mobile only, it's twice as expensive. That's why this poll can't really work, as we'd just be pulling magic numbers out of a hat.

Gigiwoo likes this.
  14. Peter-Apple

Peter-Apple

Hi dude, this thread is related to paying once, NOT subscription.
    The poll options can't be changed (max. item is 10) once I posted and the current upgrade price is USD 750. Sorry. :(
    (For ref.: The full version of game maker studio for making 2D games in all platform is USD 799. Shiva3d is USD 1000)

Please start another thread for the subscription or the options "less than USD 750". Thanks. :)

15. TheRaider

TheRaider

the thing is v the $20 a month, unity has the fully free option.

I would rather a lower cost and a %.

16. Peter-Apple

Peter-Apple

Thank you, hippocoder .
    No one knows the future. One may change the mind one day... There are still many great desktop games eg. GTA

17. Murgilod

Murgilod

On top of this, Mobile Pro doesn't actually give you anything that you didn't already pay for. With a standard mobile license, you get all the features of Unity Free + mobile deployment. Okay, whatever. But if you have Unity Pro, you're spending $1500 to use the features you already paid $1500 for.

18. Peter-Apple

Peter-Apple

You would need to check the differences between standard and pro version:
    http://unity3d.com/unity/licenses

19. Murgilod

Murgilod

...No, you don't need to check. That's literally the difference. You can't use the mobile pro licenses without owning Unity Pro. The only difference between the mobile pro and mobile free licenses are the differences between Unity Pro and Unity Free. You are paying multiple times for the same features.

20. Peter-Apple

Peter-Apple

To my knowledge, even you get Unity pro, you are still using Android free until you pay for Android Pro, for example. :)
    This is shown in purchase screen? Are you sure?

21. Venged

Venged

$15 dollars a month for all.

22. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yes. This is what I'm saying.

But Android Pro's features are just the features you already have in Unity Pro, but now you're allowed to use them on mobile. You are paying for the same features twice.

23. Ryiah

Ryiah

Exactly. In order to buy Android Pro, you also have to buy Unity Pro. Effectively making mobile pro access start at $3,000.

24. Grafos

Grafos

And the features of Pro are the same with the demo version of Pro. You are not paying for the same features twice. You don't just "buy features". You are paying for the ability to use the features of Pro on another platform. I am not arguing this is fair, especially for mobile developers, it' s not. But the "you are paying for the same features twice" argument seems a bit silly to me.

25. npsf3000

npsf3000

Which implies you have the paid ability to use those features on an original platform. Which, particularly if you did not need this ability, is buying the features twice.

I don't see how that explanation is any better.

26. wccrawford

wccrawford

You're paying to use those features on another device, yes. To expand on that, you're paying to support Unity's work in making those features work with that device.

Yes, some people don't need the Pro features for desktop, but need them for mobile. I'll agree that they're paying for something they don't need.

But people who need both, pay for both. And that makes sense. They aren't just "the same features". They're the same features on another platform. Making that work, and keeping it working, isn't free for Unity Tech either.

27. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Sure, but I don't think the issue is with "buying the features twice" so much as "buying them for an additional unwanted platform". I hear a lot of complaints about buying standard Pro to get to mobile Pro, but I don't recall ever hearing complaints about iOS and Android being separate purchases even though that's also "buying the same features twice".

28. Peter-Apple

Peter-Apple

Please stop arguing, or admin. will ban this thread. :)

If there exists "One price for all platform", all the features will be included.

Thank you for your co-operation. :)

29. Peter-Apple

Peter-Apple

Any more vote?

30. Peter-Apple

Peter-Apple

At this point of writing, no one votes between 3000 and 4500? Hoping there will be more users votes...

31. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

^ This. Oh wait! I can just LIKE yours... Something new to try.
    Gigi