Search Unity

One more OnCollisionEnter2D problem..

Discussion in '2D' started by Leggy7, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Leggy7

Leggy7

I came across the most of the threads regarding this problem, quite common..

My scenario is as follows:

2 objects: wall and arrow.

They seem to be unable to interact.
    They lay on 2 different layers, which are flagged in the Layer Collision Matrix so they can interact.

They are both in the same xy plane (same z coord)

Both objects have PolygonCollider2D and none have Rigidbody2D.

The arrow is trigger and the wall is not (btw I tried every combination).

OnCollisionEnter2D just has a Debug.Log("colliding") and it never gets called.

Then, what I noticed is that another object (Player) collides with wall but not with the arrow.

I don't know what to try.. I'm using unity 4.5 (but I tried also on 4.6) and no more ideas come to my mind.

Any suggestion?

2. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

If you don't add a Rigidbody2D then the colliders are static and should never ever be moved at runtime. This is why static/static will never collide. If you want to move them then add a Rigidbody2D. If you intend to move them using the Transform then set the Rigidbody2D to be Kinematic (not dynamic).

3. Leggy7

Leggy7

Thank you for your reply.

Actually if I pay attention to the scene view I see the arrow collider moving with its gameobject so I don't think this is the point.

4. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

It will move if you're modifying the transform. My point is that it's expensive to move static colliders and they won't produce a callback when they collide which is what you're reporting.

5. Leggy7

Leggy7

Oh, that sounds like what I was looking for.
    I actually move it with the transform. If I understood correctly, moving via transform won't trigger the event? But if I use OnTriggerEnter2D? It should? Just for my understanding, will it work even if it could be more expensive?

6. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

As I said above; when you don't add a Rigidbody2D component then the colliders are static. Static colliders do not collide with each other (no matter what you set-up in the collision layer matrix) and won't produce a callback for collision or trigger. Add a Rigidbody2D to each and set them to be Kinematic. You'll then start to get callbacks.

In your case, if your wall never moves then you can leave it without a Rigidbody2D (static)but if your arrow moves then you should add a Rigidbody2D component to it.

7. Leggy7

Leggy7

Thank you very much. This clearified me a lot. I'll try it as soon as I reach home!