Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

One little iPhone 3GS for development.

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by shawnpigott, Jun 10, 2011.

1. shawnpigott

shawnpigott

I am in the process of porting an iPad app to iPhone. Unfortunately I only have access to an iPhone 3GS. I'm hoping that someone can confirm that the app will look the same on all iPhones and iPod Touches if my Target resolution is set to standard. I know I won't be taking advantage of the retina display and hope to fix that in the future when I have a newer device to develop on.

Thanks

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

if it fits the 3gs, it will look the same relatively on 4g, however make sure you don't position gui elements by pixel coordinates of course. So testing on 3gs is enough...

bear in mind the older 3g uses fixed function, not surface shaders, so if you want it to run on that (apple have discontinued this but some developers still think its a market) then disable opengl es 2.0 in xcode in appcontroller.mm (details are in that file).

3. shawnpigott

shawnpigott

So even if I set Target Resolution to Standard, the device will use the native resolution for GUI placement?

I'm not planning on targeting the 3g.

Thanks for the info.

4. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Pixel placement will be fine. Dicey Dice uses low resolution with pixel placed GUI Textures and works fine across devices.

5. shawnpigott

shawnpigott

Great. Fonts are fine too?

6. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

7. J_P_

J_P_

I recommend having beta tester(s) so you can get feedback on how it runs on other devices. Test Flight makes it super easy.

8. shawnpigott

shawnpigott

I'll check out Test Flight. Thanks.