Search Unity

One eye renders squished objects

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Kuramu999, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Kuramu999

Kuramu999

We're having a strange issue after moving up to Unity 5 and trying to get oculus working again.
    The build in Oculus Configuration Utility demo looks perfect.
    However when loading and running the Unity demo scenes in "OculusUtilities_SDKExamples_0_1_3_0_beta" things happen that make me sad. The warning text pops up and looks perfect, but all objects in the scene are vertically squished in the right eye by about 20%. (since the warning text is not distorted, that tells me it is not the physical lens in the headset that is at fault)
    I tried making a new, clean project with a simple cube and the OVRCameraRig, but we still had the same "Squishing" problem, whether I run it in Unity or when I publish and run the exe. If you turn your head sideways 90 degrees, the squishing remains vertical relative to your eye, not relative to the scene. (this tells me that the objects themselves are not squished, just the way the right eye sees them, as if the camera has a 80% scale on its Y axis).

Can't seem to find anything through Google so it's like we're the only ones. Any solutions, leads, ideas?
    Thanks

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  2. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

What is the exact version of Unity 5? (5.x.xf/px)

3. Kuramu999

Kuramu999

5.3.1p3

4. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

If you open a new scene and don't add anything to it and hit play in the Editor what happens? If both eyes look correct, what happens after you replace the camera in the new scene with the CameraRig from the Oculus Utilities? Does it still look correct?

5. Kuramu999

Kuramu999

I added a new scene in that demo file "OculusUtilities_SDKExamples_0_1_3_0_beta" and hit play. I was surprised it showed up in the oculus without adding the camera rig. Anyway, it's hard to tell if it looks correct because the only thing to look at is the default skybox. I added a box and it's in stereo, but the same squishing problem

6. Kuramu999

Kuramu999

I'm not sure why the oculus is displaying in stereo when I didn't even add the OVRcamera yet

7. Kuramu999

Kuramu999

But I went ahead and added OVRcameraRig anyway, and same problem.

8. Kuramu999

Kuramu999

OK so I started from scratch, imported custom package OculusUtilities.unitypackage. I put the rig on stage and when I play, the computer screen shows the scene, moving around based on the headset's motion, but inside the oculus I see colorful static

9. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

Could you file a bug report with your project and post the report number here. Thanks.

10. Kuramu999

Kuramu999

OK the static went away suddenly. I can see the scene. The cube is squished in right eye

11. Kuramu999

Kuramu999

ok I did the bug report

12. williamj

williamj

Unity Technologies

Hi @Kuramu999,

I tried out the project you posted in the bug and I could not reproduce the issue with my set up.

I know it's a pain in the butt, but could you try reinstalling Unity and/or the Oculus runtime? It might help resolve the issue or narrow down it's cause.

Thanks,

Will
    Unity QA

Edit: Also, what does the Oculus demo scene look like?

13. Kuramu999

Kuramu999

The Oculus Configuration Utility has a demo scene which is a desk.
    "OculusUtilities_SDKExamples_0_1_3_0_beta" has about 12 scenes, most of which have a room with a Cube, Sphere, and a capsules.

Thanks for the help, We will try reinstalling as you suggest.

14. Kuramu999

Kuramu999

We re-downloaded Runtime and re-installed it. Not fixed.
    Unity is next

15. Kuramu999

Kuramu999

OK, we re-installed Unity. 5.3.1p3
    Still getting the squished right eye

16. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

Okay, we aren't able to reproduce the squishing with your project, but we have another bug report of the same thing. May I ask you to install the latest patch from here: http://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases.
    You are looking for 5.3.2p1. I'm having QA take a look to see if they can reproduce on any version.

17. Kuramu999

Kuramu999

OK, it works now, and 3 things each contributed, but mostly #3
    1. your patch helped
    2. there are dials on either side of the headset which needed to be tweaked, and the "eye relief" dial needs to match in Oculus Config util
    3. Also in Oculus Config util in the advanced settings, we reset tracking center

18. jimslade

jimslade

I had the same problem recently and came to the conclusion that it's not a Unity problem. I experienced it with DK 1 when I enabled the checkbox "Enable Personalized Rendering for This Eye Position" in the Advanced section of the Configuration Tool. I suppose it has something to do with wrong calibration or wrong measurements of IPD, Eye to Neck Distance, etc., but I'm not sure.

For me, the problem was solved when I simply disabled the checkbox.