Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

One big level or multiple small levels

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by pcg, May 22, 2020.

1. pcg

pcg

I have an idea for a game which is similar in concept to Binding of Issac (more akin to old 8 bit games) in that the screen shows a room and you move through a door and it shows the next room - so old school flip screen scrolling.

It would have Rogue Like elements in terms of random placement of objects and secret areas throughout the world but in general the overall world would remain the same.

The main reason for the static world is that I thinking a single large world instead of multiple smaller levels and I just wanted to know what people thought about that from a design point of view.

First thing that comes to my mind is I need to factor in to the game some kind of progression so the player feels a sense of achievement.

Also are there any modern Rogue Like games that take the static world / procedural object placement approach or is it just a bad idea now and players expect a typical Rogue procedural everything from their games?

2. altan86

altan86

I am more of a multiple scene person so I wouldn't encourage having everything compiled into a single scene.

In terms of design its going to be inefficient in the long run when the game gets big especially the organization and placement of all your GameObjects in the scene. When the game scene gets really big then trying to find that one particular object is going to be frustrating and time wasting.
    Besides that load time and memory management will be a problem as well. If you have too many sprites, 3D models, lights, etc in a single scene then loading in that one scene will take a long time since everything has to be cached into memory before the scene can start.

pcg likes this.