Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

OnDestroy already queued

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by janlovsin, Aug 25, 2019.

1. janlovsin

janlovsin

I'm reusing a few objects, so when I need them I SetParent and when changing scenes I SetParent back to old one so they don't get destroyed.

Code (CSharp):
    1. // on ROOT object in scene -> calling leaderboard.BeOnDestroy() here, still calls all
    2. // contentAreaObject's OnDestroy()'s
    3. private void OnDestroy()
    4. {
    5.     Debug.Log("TEST DESTROY");
    6.     leaderboard.BeOnDestroy();
    7. }
    9. // but calling leaderboard.BeOnDestroy() here works as expected (without calling OnDestroy
    10. // on contentAreaObject's)
    11. private void SceneChange()
    12. {
    13.     leaderboard.BeOnDestroy();
    14.     SceneSwitcher.LoadScene(GameSettings.INTRO_SCENE);
    15. }
    17. // a method on a gameObject that is created in 1st scene and never get's destroyed
    18. public void BeOnDestroy()
    19. {
    20.     for (int i = 0; i < contentAreaObjects.Count; i++)
    21.     {
    22.         contentAreaObjects[i].transform.SetParent(gameObject.transform, false);
    23.     }
    24. }
    Is there any way I can SetParent in OnDestroy without objects still getting destroyed?

2. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

No. Don't do that. If you want game objects to be preserved, call DontDestroyOnLoad on them.

3. janlovsin

janlovsin

I create 1000 of those objects and bind them to DontDestroyOnLoad on 1st scene, but then I have to reuse them by reparent them to each leaderboard(scrollviews with 'content' <--), and before changing scene I have to reparent them again else they get destroyed because their parent get's destroyed. Which works fine if I manually reparent them before changing scene, but doing it in OnDestroy, even though it still manages to call BeOnDestroy, the objects still get destroyed by the scene.

4. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Organize them on a way that their parent don't get destroyed. There is no way to back off from the OnDestroy.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Redesign so you don't have child objects you wish to preserve attached to parents you are destroying.