Search Unity

OnClick.AddListener() Trouble

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Frostbite23, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

Hello, Im making a procedually generating list using of course Javascript and Unity's UI (Thank you so much unity!).

Right now for me its a bit of a hassle to figure it out because no one seems to provide a clear answer for me so Id thought Id ask you guys.

Right now I'm currently trying to add an Listener event so when I click on my button it will call my function in the script, however its not like in the old days of unity now especially since you have to add a listener event for the UI button. Heres my line of code right now.

Code (JavaScript):
    1. caseButt.onClick.AddListener( caseButtons[i].GetComponent(ListButton).OnClick() );
    I had a look at the scripting reference but they never gave an example script of how its done. While adding the first parenthesis after AddListener, monoDevelop popped an yellow box saying -

it also says in a little grey box saying I have 1 out of two, I can see that I only have function but my question is, What do I use for the call?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  2. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

3. XukeLho

XukeLho

Im not that good with JS but I'll assume it's similar to C#. You want to call a function when a user clicks a button right? Are you using the new UI system to create the button?

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Try this

Code (csharp):
    1. caseButt.onClick.AddListener( function() { caseButtons[i].GetComponent(ListButton).OnClick() } );

5. blizzy

blizzy

Or this:

Code (csharp):
    1. caseButt.onClick.AddListener( caseButtons[i].GetComponent(ListButton).OnClick );

Frostbite23 and karl_jones like this.
  6. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

Thanks @blizzy! I was wondering what was I missing for a minute until i realized you had no () after onClick.

7. blizzy

blizzy

You need to pass a function reference to AddListener(), but in your original code, you were calling your function and passing its result instead.

karl_jones likes this.
  8. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

Ahh, makes sense now.