Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved OnBecameVisible / OnBecameInvisible run in editor despite no cameras being on it

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by cyangamer, Feb 18, 2021.

1. cyangamer

cyangamer

Yes, I know about the Scene camera quirk.

There seems to be some sort of issue in Unity 2018.4.31 that I just discovered. I have my GameObjects set up so that their script components do not activate until they are visible to a camera.

When I start up my scene, there is a quick blip where they are visible and then not visible again. I took care in facing the Scene camera away from everything. I even closed the window entirely, and disabled every camera. However, a handful of game objects are still having this blip. Here's the code I'm using:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class EnemyActivatorForRenderer : MonoBehaviour
    2.     {
    4.         public void OnBecameVisible()
    5.         {
    6.             EnemyActivator ea = gameObject.GetComponentInParent<EnemyActivator>();
    7.             if (ea != null)
    8.             {
    9.                 Debug.Log(transform.parent.gameObject.name+" <color=blue>is visible!</color>");
    10.                 ea.OnBecameVisible();
    11.             }
    12.         }
    14.         public void OnBecameInvisible()
    15.         {
    16.             EnemyActivator ea = gameObject.GetComponentInParent<EnemyActivator>();
    17.             if (ea != null)
    18.             {
    19.                 Debug.Log(transform.parent.gameObject.name+" <color=blue>is NOT visible</color>");
    20.                 ea.OnBecameInvisible();
    21.             }
    22.         }
    23.     }
    I'll see if I can create a bug report, but does anyone know a workaround? What I need is for my scripts to not run until the player can actually see them.

2. arfish

arfish

cyangamer likes this.
  3. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

You could try to adding Debug.Log(Camera.current), to check if any camera is in fact rendering. Camera.current should be the camera in context for those function. Reflection probes also use a camera, so it's possible they are triggering the functions.

cyangamer likes this.
  4. cyangamer

cyangamer

The renderer is on the gameObject, which calls a script also called OnBecameVisible() that I implemented on the parent object. This is because the visual model is (in most cases) a child of my gameObject which just has the behaviors, colliders, and what have you.

This is it. I added that and got this back:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Mask Camera (UnityEngine.Camera)
    2. UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    3. VisionBreak.Sunsear.EnemyCore.EnemyActivatorForRenderer:OnBecameVisible() (at Assets/Sunsear/Scripts/EnemyActivatorForRenderer.cs:15)
    I have no idea what a "Mask Camera" is, but I guess Unity's functionality is vindicated here. There shouldn't be any reflection probes being used since this is a mobile game, but there's clearly something unexpected going on.

Thanks for your responses! Any idea what could be creating that phantom camera object?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  5. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Mask Camera could be from a third-party asset, using a hidden camera. The name is pretty specific, so you could do a search for it in your code base.

In your OnBecameVisible function you can do a check on the camera type, to see if it's an actual "Game" camera, if not, bail out

Code (CSharp):
    1. //Skip for any special use camera's (except scene view camera)
    2. if (camera.cameraType != CameraType.SceneView && (camera.cameraType == CameraType.Reflection ||
    3.                                                   camera.cameraType == CameraType.Preview ||
    4.                                                   camera.hideFlags != HideFlags.None)) return;

cyangamer likes this.
  6. cyangamer

cyangamer

What I decided to do was have a boolean method check for this Mask Camera. I found the source of it (it's some post-processing stuff), and having the OnBecameVisible functions bail on all non-game cameras was giving it problems. I now know how to find the other hidden cameras so if they start causing problems I can filter them one at a time.

Code (CSharp):
    2. public bool IsInvalidCamera(Camera camera) {
    3.             if (camera == null) return true;
    4.             return camera.cameraType != CameraType.SceneView
    5.                 && (camera.name == INVALID_MASK_CAMERA);
    6.         }
    Thanks so much for your help! :D