Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question On Site AR - Getting Started

Discussion in 'Unity Reflect' started by skyeg3, Oct 16, 2020.

1. skyeg3

skyeg3

Hello All. Just downloaded Unity Pro and the reflect viewer for using with Revit for architecture. I was able to view some Revit models in that desktop viewer. Working on getting the reflect viewer working on the iPad now. Does anybody know of a tutorial for getting on site AR experiences working? I've seen a video of somebody with an iPad on the job site scanning a QR code and then having the building pop into the real world. Can I do that or is that just vaporware for now? Thanks.

2. skyeg3

skyeg3

So so so disappointing to buy $2000 worth of software to find out that you can't do what the promotional materials show. And possibly illegal. Is anybody here?

3. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

Hey there, @skyeg3. I've flagged this thread with our AR Foundation team, but it might be a better fit to be asked on our Reflect forums, BUT I'll wait for them to weigh in on that.

I understand that it can be frustrating to run into a roadblock, and I appreciate your patience while you wait for the team to respond. It won't be right away, as you can see, our XR forums get a lot of action. :)

4. BetaMark

BetaMark

5. skyeg3

skyeg3

@TreyK-47 Yeah this has been quite the investment in software and time. Its ok though I understand this is all cutting edge tech and its the price you pay to be early or learn something new.

@mccorkle The Reflect promotional material shows a video of someone using an ipad and the building popping in after scaning a QR code. It is misleading because to get that functionality you actually need to buy Unity Pro, own a mac and know how to create your own app with Unity. Thats the path I'm on now. I had no idea I'd need to be so involved. They make it look like standard Reflect functionality but its not. Also thanks for the support link. I'll definitely be using that.

BetaMark likes this.
  6. DavidMenard

DavidMenard

Unity Technologies

Hi @skyeg3 Thanks for flagging this. We'll make sure to update the content to make it clearer that the QR alignment is part of the Developer offering and not an out-of-the-box experience.
    Longer term, we do want to bring that into the out-of-the-box experience though. In the meantime, we do have the 3-panel alignment method that can be used for alignment in Reflect.

skyeg3 likes this.