Search Unity

50% OFF Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.7%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.0%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.2%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.2%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.3%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.4%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.7%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.5%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.5%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. johny256

johny256

Perfect!rpg elements in fps games i like

sr388 likes this.
  2. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I am working on the vendor system now to use the currency system. Here just a first rough organization of the default vendor menu:

2.PNG

Also, I have already added categories to the inventory system, so now you can configure any type of inventory object in the general inventory manager like this:

1.PNG

And then, you select category and object in the player inventory to add new objects to his inventory:

3.PNG

With the same management of dynamic list taken from the general manager.

For the vendor system, to configure separated shops (there is an option to configure a single shop list of objects shared for all the vendor places), the inventory bank system has been extended for this, with the options to use it as a vendor manager, with options to assign price and units available:

4.PNG

This inventory bank system is a different component from the main inventory bank manager, so there will a dedicated system for the vendor it self, taking the list configured in any individual inventory bank system and use it to show the current elements available to sell.

@johny256 haha, yeah, I like that combination too, from games like borderlands for example.

Regards.

3. sr388

sr388

The fake projectile settings are configured inside the projectile prefab itself. In player weapon system inspector (in the gameObject gunModel inside any weapon), you can see the projectile that is instantiated by that weapon and inside that projectile prefab, you can find the fake projectile object with its options and particles. Usually in Prefabs/Player Weapons/Projectiles (I think that is the path, can't open unity right now).

Tell me if you find these settings or not.

Regards.

4. Mr_squiggle

Mr_squiggle

Hi I'm playing around with the kit at the moment. Just going through tutorials. Loving it. I was wondering about a couple of things:

- With the magic system and combat how thats going to work? Will the magic work similar to dishonoured or something like oblivion/skyrim or something.

- Will there be an upgrade tree for for abilities, like you can now shoot fire balls?

- Also will you make more like enemies in the future. Like flying enemies for example.

- Also will you add an ability when an enemy is on the ground and near death you can do a finishing move (similar to silent hill, dead space, or just a stab impale finishing move).

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    sr388 likes this.
  5. sr388

sr388

Hi @unity_yEbhN8ZbgDdgeQ.

Thanks for your interest in the asset and your purchase :) Very happy to hear that. About your questions:

- The current power system allows the player to fire projectiles form his hands along with use any other type of ability, like push objects, change objects of position and basically any kind of ability you can think.

The system uses a behavior system, which allows to add your own scripts when you use a power, so you can make your own script with a new type of power and activate it with the power system. The weapons work in the same way, allowing to add new behaviors easily.

For now, powers and weapons are used in different player modes, allowing to change between them but only using one of them at the same time. But during 3.0 updates, I will make additions to allow to use both modes at the same time, similar to games like dishonored, including hot keys to activate abilities which can be edited in menu, so you can drag and drop any ability/power to a slot and activate it.

Same will be applied to the combat system, allowing to use abilities/powers at the same time.

- Yes, I am currently working in the whole experience/stat/skills system and it will allow to create and configure a skill tree, so when the player levels up, it can get skill points to unlock abilities, or improve his stats and similar. Same will be applied to powers/weapons, which will be able to be upgraded separately, so you can improve stats on each weapon/power as you need.

I am taking inspiration from games like borderlands and deus ex for these skill tress. The objective (like the rest of systems) is make it very flexible and customizable.

- Yes, more enemy types are planned, including with generic models, so anything like monster, animals, robots, etc... are planned to arrive. About flying, that is a little more complicated, because flying AI needs its own navigation system, since navmesh can't be used on it. But I would like to work on flying AI at some point too.

But flying animals will be added too, so the player can control them (using the possession system similar to mario oddisey) or ride them (using the vehicle system, which will be used to ride animals too).

- Animations played by two elements, like the player and other character are planned to be added, like stealth kills and similar. Probably will arrive when 4.0 updates start (3.0 updates series should be finished in between 6 months and less that a year from now).

Tell me if you have any other doubt and also, suggestions are welcome.

Regards.

Wetw0rx and hopeful like this.
  6. Mr_squiggle

Mr_squiggle

Blown away by your response! Great service :) Just wandering one more thing:

- In the future will affects like poison/fire/ice damage over time be added like someone hits you or you hit them they will slow down or even freeze entirely and damage will occur over time?

sr388 likes this.
  7. sr388

sr388

Glad to answer any doubt/question.

Yes, in the health system, there is already a function to apply certain amount of damage during x time, like from the poison projectiles type. And states like those which you mention will be added, so every damage will be able to have a type.

This will be also used for the armor/cloth system, so it will be able to use stats to resist any type of damage, like fire, ice, poison, darkness, magic, etc.... completely or to a certain degree/percentage/amount.

RPG elements are one of the main focus for the current and more updates during 3.0. Very excited for this :)

Regards.

8. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

cant wait for the next 3.x update :D

sr388 likes this.
  9. sr388

sr388

Haha, me neither. This update will be 3.02 and it should be ready for the end of the month.

I have been making more progress in the vendor system. Will show it here in a few minutes.

Regards.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Wetw0rx likes this.
  10. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here the new progress on the vendor system, it is almost complete, only needs a couple of functions to add objects to the inventory when the player buy it and remove inventory objects when selling:

Probably will change a little the current aspect of the UI, as it stills WIP. It allows to show objects by category, showing also the price per unit and the amount available, along with information and rendering the object in the screen, in the same way as in the inventory.

Regards.

MorpheusXI, Wetw0rx and hopeful like this.
  11. 3DWizerd

3DWizerd

Ya, i found it after I made the post. Thought i got the post deleted. Thanks

sr388 likes this.
  12. johny256

johny256

u vendora when buying weapons I would put it on the level of the player, for example, the player has lvl 5 so he can not buy better weapons than his level, can only buy weapons and equipment to the current level :)

sr388 likes this.
  13. sr388

sr388

Cool, happy to hear that.

That is very interesting. What I planned to add is an option for weapons and other objects to have a base level, so if a weapon is level 10 and player has a level 5, the player can't equip that weapon/armor/object/etc...., similar to borderlands.

But an option can be also added on the vendor system to avoid to purchase objects with higher level than the player.

Consider it done ;) I have the vendor system almost ready, and the player can already buy and sell his stuff, with options to sell objects for a different price that its buy price, which can be lower using a fixed value or a multiplier to use the same for all products in the same vendor machine.

Regards.

mytecjmb likes this.
  14. hopeful

hopeful

I hope you are thinking of having level ranges. That would take care of the situation where something is available for all levels, or just some. :)

sr388 likes this.
  15. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here the new video tutorial which shows how to use the decal system.

I will be back to the regular flow of tutorial videos (finally). Sorry for the wait to receive new videos.

Not sure exactly what you mean with the ranges Can you tell me more?

Regards.

Wetw0rx, mytecjmb and blacksun666 like this.
  16. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Finally, the vendor system is complete. There is a few details here and there, but the main system already works and allows to buy and sell stuff, taking into account the money of the player, the number of object to buy, events to out of stock, not enough money and others. It includes a message system to show panels on screen separately from the vendor system, so it can called by events for example.

Other stuff which checks is that the sell objects mode (sell stuff from player's inventory) can't be activated if the inventory list is empty.

Regards.

Wetw0rx, mytecjmb and blacksun666 like this.
  17. lolaswift

lolaswift

Chasing dreams for years, you're a real inspiration. I've been developing some system which I think good for the world for around 5 years as well. When you have to do other jobs to make a living in order to keep the development going forward, it's not easy. Therefore, I can totally relate. Best of luck to you Santi. I'm considering buying your asset just to offer my support.

sr388 likes this.
  18. sr388

sr388

Haha, thanks @lolaswift, very happy to hear that.

That is a great causality, since I started to work on this asset 5 years ago and been having it as main job for almost 2. It is really the best job I have had ever and can't imagine my life without doing it.

Yeah, I totally know that feel of having to work on many stuff at the same time (there was a period where I had the job, the final master project, working on a game with some friends and working on GKC, all at the same time, it was madness xd).

Thanks for your nice words, I really appreciate them and hope you can keep working on your developments with the best results too :) And thanks also for considering the purchase, it is a really big support for me and really means a lot to know it.

Regards.

19. 3DWizerd

3DWizerd

One question or request, is or will inventory objects be movable and/or able split stacks. Also where is the running change character transparency option?, seems it was in the player manager script before. thx

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    sr388 likes this.
  20. sr388

sr388

That is in fact planned, along with grid management of the inventory, similar to games like resident evil 4 and deus ex, games, where every object has a size of slots in vertical and horizontal, similar to this:

Deus Ex Mankind Divided_Inventory.jpg

This will be done during 3.0, probably in the next update after current one.

Regards.

Razmot, pushingpandas and Wetw0rx like this.
  21. hopeful

hopeful

I think you've described your current method as checking to see if a player and an item are of equal level. I think a lot of games use a design where you cannot obtain or use an item if you are lower level than "min", or if you are higher level than "max".

Like, if you just turned level 10, you might be able to use items that are configured for use at the level range of 10-15. Something like that.

Also, if I have items that are usable at any level, I can put the ranges as 0-51, or whatever is all-inclusive for my game. (If max and min are zero, then maybe that's another way of making an item universal.)

I imagine unlocking items would be a common thing to do. What this would be is copying an item from a universal inventory to an in-use inventory.

Like, if I unlock "Plain Shirt of Awesomeness" ... it always resides in my universal inventory, and when I unlock it, I copy it to my unlocked clothing inventory. Of course, in a multiuser scenario, each player or alternate character has to have their own "unlocked" inventory. The universal inventory can be shared among all players / alts.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    sr388 likes this.
  22. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

A few more options added to the vendor system (including options in the main inventory manager for every inventory object). Min level can be configured to purchase an object, so if the player has a level lower than the level of the object, it can't be purchased.

Also, there are options to configure infinite amount of objects to buy (and individual infinite amounts for specific objects).

And for experience got from enemies and other objects, there is an option to use the message info to show that text on the side of the screen, instead of a text that moves toward experience bar, including options to configure a custom text.

Oh, I see. I never saw the max level range for objects in any game, a min level yes, but never before a maximum level. Could be interesting to add though.

And about the unlocked inventory objects, yes, that could be done as well, so for example, these objects only are shown in the vendor system once the player reaches a certain level. Very interesting, I will put it on the todo list.

Regards.

mytecjmb likes this.
  23. hopeful

hopeful

One function of a max level is to make things expire, so the player has to acquire something new. So if at level 1 the player acquires an Orb of Nothingness that makes his enemies evaporate, it might expire at level 5, and now he has to find another way to defeat his enemies. Or maybe the Orb is a modifier, adding accuracy or damage, and once it is out-leveled, the player needs to quest to find a new attack modifier. That sort of thing.

Quests are another thing that could be managed using this method. A quest (treated as just another inventory item) can be unlocked by defeating 10 orc chiefs, but can only be played if you are level 4-7, or something like that. (Some game systems manage balance by restricting designed quests to certain levels.)

Maybe you unlock the quest at a lower level, and then are able to complete it when you are at a higher level, or something of that nature.

So, I think the data layout looks like this:

from universal inventory (all game items) > to unlocked inventory repository (could be a vendor or something) > to personal inventory (once the player obtains it, and now can use it)

So the item that is locked is in the universal inventory. When unlocked a copy goes to a vendor or a list of unlocked items. And when the player picks it from the list, or pays the vendor for it, or whatever, it is copied to their personal inventory and can be used.

In a multi-user environment, there would need to be a hierarchical folder setup for game save files and inventory files. Nothing too difficult.

There would be a universal Players folder, which contains a unique folder for each individual player (probably using player ID / handle as the folder name), and within that, a unique folder for each character created by the player (probably using character name for the folder name). Within the character folder lies the unlocked inventory and the personal inventory.

If the game allows for custom character appearance, as with UMA, then the character can have a file or folder within the character folder that is for each custom look (recipe).

Like these folders and contents: Players > Hopeful > Captain Obvious > the costume, saved game, and inventory information for Captain Obvious.

I don't know if you want to go that direction, but if so, the game would begin with asking for a player ID - a login, basically - and then could show a list of available characters or saved games for that player.

Alternatively, the design could be to list the players already created, or create a new one. And then once the player name is registered, show a list of characters already created by that player, or create a new one. That sort of thing.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Wetw0rx and mytecjmb like this.
  24. 3DWizerd

3DWizerd

Weapon slots, can they be set to fade off after weapon equipped (8 slots)?

25. sr388

sr388

Uhum, I see. It is an interesting option. I will add the option to configure level ranges for stuff instead of just a minimum level.

And yes, it will be easier to show inventory objects in vendor with level checking for the player, with just showing that the object can't be purchased, or directly not showing an object in the list to buy until the player is on a minimum/range level.

The save system already allows to save inventory for multiple players using ID fields for it, though the part of save customization/recipes is not there yet, but it is planned as well ;) This will also include to load different profiles, so the player can save different characters and similar.

I am already working on the use of the experience system with the mission/quest system, so the player can get experience/money from missions and other elements as well. There will be also quest panels, similar to borderlands, where new missions will appear and the player can add all of them to its current mission log, so he can activate/deactivate missions not complete from that list.

These missions will also have level range and the save system will be able to save/load the current missions found by the player and those which are already complete. This will be included in the current update.

I will also start the next week with the crafting system, I have already taken some ideas for it and will take a few more. Like always, if you have any suggestion about the crafting system, they all are welcome.

The current update will bring a lot of RPG elements to GKC, very excited for this ^^.

Do you mean to hide the weapons slots that are currently on the bottom of the screen to show which one are equipped and the key numbers to change between them?

There is an option in the inventory manager (the component configured in player controller gameObject) to hide these slots while the player doesn't change between weapons, with a timer for it.

upload_2019-8-10_1-58-31.png

Set that option to false, and the slots will be disabled after 1 second (the amount configured in show weapon slots parent duration, and yes, there is a typo on "wepaon" haha, will fix that). Tell me if this is what you meant.

Regards.

Wetw0rx likes this.
  26. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Consumable objects can now be stored in the inventory, such as ammo for weapons and combine them with the weapons too. The rest like health, energy, etc... will be added as well, so now, they can be purchased as well in the vendor system.

In the gif, the player takes one unit of ammo for assault rifle, which contains 30 projectiles, so when he combines it with the weapon, it adds those 30 projectiles to the remaining ammo. The ammo amount per object will be shown in the inventory slots too and any other object which has a certain amount of units per slot.

Regards.

Wetw0rx likes this.
  27. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

More improvements on the inventory system, it already allows to add new behaviors easily to manage what happens when a custom object is used or combined with other, like attachments or ammo to combine with weapons, or to use health or energy.

So similar to the weapons/powers system, on inventory you can add new behaviors for objects easily, so this allows to add any type of inventory object with the action that you need (to add new behaviors, it needs a new script and the code to perform the action that you need).

Regards.

mytecjmb and Wetw0rx like this.
  28. hopeful

hopeful

It occurs to me one other thing that might be best to build in at this point, before too much more gets added, is the ability for the player to operate as though they are a different level ... either higher or lower. This could be a factor in single player or multiplayer scenarios.

Let's say, for instance, a player goes back in story time by some mechanism, or forward in story time ... and they are being made temporarily weaker or stronger by having their "apparent" level adjusted. But they still gain experience as though they are their actual level, not their temporarily adjusted level. Make sense?

Or maybe GKC is being used to support a game where levels can be temporarily lost as the result of an attack. Like, something hits you and now you fight as though you are one level lower, at least till it wears off. That sort of thing.

Or let's say you have two players playing their characters together on a quest, and one is level 2 while the other is level 20. If they are playing a level 20 quest, it makes sense for the level 2 player to be artificially boosted to level 20, but still gaining experience as a level 2 player. Likewise, if they combine to play a level 2 quest, the level 20 player has to be down-leveled to 2.

So you'd need to have the player capable of playing as though they are one level, in terms of attacks and damage and so on, while accumulating xp at their real level, with the xp adjusted for that level.

sr388 likes this.
  29. neoshaman

neoshaman

HI I haven't been active these months lol I was busy

BUT there is a concern I have already raised but you didn't understand, I hadn't time to expend and wanted to find the proper way to introduced it in no uncertain way.

The thing is that I told you you should start considering level loading and management stuff.
    - It's non trivial, you have more and more stuff that are dependent to each other.
    - That dependency might conflict with a level management system
    - You spend 4 years adding stuff, I wouldn't want you to rewrite everything because the basic assumption isn't compatible
    - It will impact almost everything you do, level need saving, unloading, reloading, freezing, LOD tick, LOD data, memory overflow management, LOD behavior, priority, destroying, restoring state, fast travel, etc ...
    * combine everything per elements then multiply by the dependency they have, example: when stuff get unloaded while interacting with another. When player Don't save after he looted a treasure chest, and that chest is unloaded from memory but he didn't pick the loot, then he reload the game ...
    That's severe enough it can jeopardize most implementation.

I'm not saying you should implement a level management system, but future proof your design to handle all the edge case that WILL happen. Then continuing designing with them in mind.

Shamus Young (a veteran game dev)
    https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=42833

Of course you are building a generic solution, you can't know which game and which level management a player will have in advence. But making sure you have something that make it easy to switch or take into account this problem is key to not rewrite the system and have hooks to balance the various implementation without breaking or making it impossible.

Especially for open world game and big dense labyrinth design, both of which can unload part of the level or have LOD that can be accessible in usual gameplay logic.

Wetw0rx and sr388 like this.
  30. sr388

sr388

I think that is maybe some very specific application of the level system (the first part to lower the player's level). Is there any game example when this may happen?

The second part seems a more possible situation. Though not sure yet what would be the best way to do this, since right now, the experience obtained from objects is not dependent from the player's level, is just an experience amount configured as you need.

For this it could be maybe an option to obtain experience according to the player's level (or any other character which is receiving that experience), like a percentage of the total experience amount or some option configure a simple math form, where you can configure the operations and values used for it.

Could think also ways to add the rest you mention, I will think about it too.

Hi again @neoshaman, long time :)

Thanks as always for the very detailed explanations. Yes, I remember you already told me about these elements and this text looks very interesting. Definitively it got me already thinking about it haha.

But yeah, I am already working with this in mind, like the vendor, experience/skill/level system and others to being easy to manage and save/load its info, with the minimum info required for it.

Probably some other system in the asset may need some modifications or addition when the save system is expanded to save info of the entire level (according to needs, it will be able to save only player, or also just those elements needed), but I am keeping this kind of elements in mind while working on new elements or improvements for previous systems.

Thanks again for taking the time for your message, I will save the link in the list of things to read later (I have read a part of it, but want to read it properly).

Regards.

Wetw0rx likes this.
  31. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added the classical options buttons panel on the inventory system, so when you select an inventory object icon, a panel with options appears at its side. It works like in resident evil and other similar games, and the use of this panel can be disabled too or you can disable the buttons in the right part as well.

According to what actions can be done in every object, it enables/disables the options available.

And more stuff related to resident evil style, this time to use or not blur for the view to the rest of objects when the player is examining an object. Here with the option disabled:

And here with the option enabled:

Regards.

Wetw0rx and Razmot like this.
  32. neoshaman

neoshaman

Hello! I think I need to be more specific, because your answer don't reflect the actual stake I'm taking about! I'm talking about saving object per see, I'm talking about level management and the impact on system. I'll trim down the text to relevant potent example:

Wetw0rx and sr388 like this.
  33. hopeful

hopeful

I'm not sure if this is the right answer, but if you are using the idea of passing rewards to the "team," and having the team distribute to its members, then maybe the "team" can have a level that relates to the quest, and everyone belonging to the team appears to be at that level while they are with the team.

Then, as xp rewards are being distributed, whatever scaling factor is being applied to create the levels in the first place would be used to scale up or down the xp, keeping the reward proportional for each level.

That would address all of the level scenarios except for the one where levels are added or subtracted as player buffs / debuffs. That situation requires the use of a "hit effect" component that is like the one for damage over time, but it wouldn't work in conjunction with the idea of a "team" level, I don't think. Maybe as a feature it just doesn't fit.

Personally, I can live without the level loss / gain hit effect, I was just mentioning it as an idea. But I think the idea of virtually presenting the team as being all of one level, to match the quest, is probably essential for team play.

sr388 likes this.
  34. neoshaman

neoshaman

example of games with "team scaling", in ye old MMO city of heroes, you could have friend being lv 2 and you are lv 30, but when doing a mission toghether, they can be designated as "sidekick" so they get scale to level 30 (minus the skill tree) for the mission, the mentor has more skills (obviously) so that mimic the dynamic of super hero, while sidekicks can still participate. Once you get out the party, you keep the xp you gain, and regain your original level. Xp gained are scaled to the level.
    - pokemon and chrono trigger have xp sharing among team member, with only combined skills required to be leveled independently in battle by having two character working together (chrono trigger).

sr388 likes this.
  35. sr388

sr388

Yes, I probably didn't explain properly (it happens to me a lot of time, even in my language, and talking about a complicated element like this make it harder haha).

But yeah, I was talking about manage info about the world of the game in general. My knowledge for now is more focused to manage info between different levels, but open worlds with parts of it loading/unloading or divided in chunks is something more new for me and I am a little more rookie for it (yet).

It is something I want to know more and make the systems taking this possible management of the game into account, so again, thanks for your explanations and reminders.

Aham, I see. Thanks for the further explanations. I didn't think in the team scaling while working on the experience system, but I think the system is currently flexible enough to allow this kind of options (and if not, I will add the elements needed for it).

What i want to see is a way to allow to customize custom math forms, so the developer can configure the different factors used to get experience from objects, taking into account elements like current level, whole experience amount, scaling level up and down, etc...

Regards.

36. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added an option to use a new panel in the inventory to select the inventory category type to show, so you can sort the type of objects which can be seen in the inventory, showing only one category at a time of a combination of them.

Btw, I have been already starting to see other games with crafting mechanics, to know more about this kind of systems and how to organize it. I have seen games like starbound, terraria, minecraft, stardew valley, ark, no man's sky and similar and I have already an idea of how to achieve this system, to use categories, recipes, manage the menu and that stuff.

Any other game with crafting mechanics that you recommend for this?

Regards.

MorpheusXI likes this.
  37. magique

magique

I like Fallout 4's crafting system.

sr388 likes this.
  38. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

The level management thing is a challenge especially for open world scenarios.
    I've had good results with Unity's own async loading solution (a rabbit hole neoshaman sent me down, thanks) and thought I might share.
    Currently, in my project anything considered game management, logic or serializable lives in the main scene and is persistent throughout the entire play session. That means loot boxes, enemy spawn points, vehicles and of course player controller are always loaded into this persistent main scene and just enabled/disabled as needed.
    Vehicles and other movable objects are locked in space and deactivated when left behind in an area by the player.
    Subscenes with geometry, lights etc are then loaded asychronously as the player traverses the main scene colliding with triggers that are themselves being activated and deactivated to account for more complex, layered levels with interiors and outdoor areas mixed. Maintaining everything near 0,0,0 is necessary to keep Unity physics happy as well.
    Keeping track of all this can be tricky but a well organized hierarchy can work wonders.
    Most relevant to the thread, however the boxes, level ups, items, player stats, etc are always in the active scene and therefore much easier to manage and debug.
    This is a very hands on approach and probably not great for procedurally generated worlds that spawn everything at runtime. Since the world in my project is mostly hand crafted, this structure really does provide a robust platform to build on and game stats management is easy without having to pass values between scenes.
    There is a limit to how much you can cram into one scene, but with proper resource usage the main scene can remain nice and light while all sorts of complex geometry, lights and effects can be loaded without almost any hitching or user loading time.
    Several levels can exist in the same space and scene if enabled/disabled appropriately.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    sr388 likes this.
  39. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

So the unlock cursor function has stopped working in the aircraft. Even after setting up the input event and checking can unlock cursor in the vehicle HUD manager. Any ideas why? I'm trying to make a button driven UI interface for the aircraft like in the car but the cursor just won't unlock while in the aircraft. Help please

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  40. sr388

sr388

I didn't remember fallout 4 had a crafting system. Will take a look at it, thanks for the suggestions ;)

Aham, I see. Yeah, that was more or less what it comes to my mind to manage open worlds. Probably, there are more appropriate ways for this. Of course I don't mean your solution is not good, totally the opposite, what I mean is that without further research, this is the main way that I thought some time ago (the classical "guess how a system could work and do it" situation when you start to work on a new system haha).

I will send you a PM to take a better look at this.

Regards.

Wetw0rx likes this.
  41. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

There was already examples of carrying inventory objects in the hands of the player, so I have added a new action button to move an object from the player's inventory to his hands, like if the object is dropped by the object appears directly on player's hands, similar to breath of the wild, though only an object at a time (for now):

Another element that I didn't think before for the inventory is weight on objects. I have already added it, with options to configure weight on objects and maximum amount that the player can carry. There is also events options, to being triggered when the max weight is reached and when the weight is back to a regular range.

That could activate things like the use of stamina while the weight is not reduced, or even make him to walk instead of using run as default speed. it will be another stat able to be managed by the stat system and improve it with the experience system.

I will show the weight option tomorrow.

Regards.

hopeful and Wetw0rx like this.
  42. hopeful

hopeful

Just curious on the weight feature ... I think that's counting the weight of inventory, but not necessarily items lifted? Like, if the character lifts a crate, and the crate has a weight on it, would that be evaluated?

sr388 likes this.
  43. sr388

sr388

The current weight value is used for stored elements in the inventory.

But the system to carry objects on player's hands allows to configure movement speed, so when carrying an object, the player can move slower, according to the movement speed configured on that object.

Now that you mention about this, another setting that could be added is a stat for strength, so the player can carry physically, only those objects with a weight lower or equal to his strength, and anything heavier won't be able to be carried.

This could be also configured to be used on the inventory, so along with maximum weight on the inventory, the player can't pick objects to his inventory if its weight is higher than the maximum strength.

For example, you can carry a maximum of 50 kg, carrying many lighter objects, accumulating that weight amount, but the player strength is 40, so he can't pick a weapon of 45 kg with his hands and neither to his inventory, even if it is empty.

Regards.

44. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Any RPG type of weapons/attacks yet?

45. sr388

sr388

Not yet, but in the next update after current one, melee combat will be added, including other types of attacks, such as magic/spells. And with it, melee weapons, like swords, shields, bows, etc...

Regards.

StevenPicard likes this.
  46. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here the weight option for the inventory. it needs a couple more of elements, like an option to avoid the player to pick more objects if the weight limit is reached but the main system works perfectly already. It is a separated component from the player's inventory and I will start to work on that way for future elements of current systems.

In this gif, the player drops an object with 10 units, each one with 35 kg of weight, so until he drops that object, the weight limit is reached and the events for it makes that the stamina is depleted.

And here another example, just seeing some objects weight and dropping them from the inventory:

Also, I have been adding crouch sliding and wall running in first person, they need a couple more of additions, but they work properly already. Will show them once they are ready.

Regards.

47. 3DWizerd

3DWizerd

Just throwing this out there, a auto hide HUD UI panel elements script and would be great to have re initiate upon certain conditions ie. gun is aim, inventory accessed or weapon mod applied or damage taken etc.. Going for a minimalist Active HUD

48. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added a lean action on the camera system, so it can be also used on the wall running feature. In this state, the camera checks for collisions too, to avoid any clipping.

And here the wall running, inspired form games like titanfall 2 and mirror's edge:

It allows to configure things like stop the wall running action after x time, make the player to move down after a delay like if he can't keep running after a while, different impulse values on jump, stop movement and end of a wall reached. The player also stops to run on the wall if he stops pressing the vertical input.

Also, the lean is triggered by events, and the foot steps and the head bob are active while he walks on a wall too.

And while running on a wall, the player can sprint (as you see, he uses the stamina in that moment) to move faster on the wall. The stamina could be also used for the wall running if you want, since it has events to start and stop the wall running action.

Yeah, I think an option could be added in the general HUD manager, so a list of different panels in the HUD can be configured and any system could call at any time to enable/disable one or all panels, so the player can adjust what elements are shown in the screen.

Will put that in the todo list. Thanks for the suggestion @3DWizerd.

Regards.

hopeful, Wetw0rx and Brian-Ryer like this.
  49. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here the crouch sliding (not sure if it has a better name), which allows to slide on the ground for x amount of time when the player runs and crouch in first person.

It has also events for start and stop, so I have configured the push objects component into an object in front of the player which is only activated during the slide.

And also, in these events the camera lean is activated as well, there is also options to configure if the player gets up from crouching at the end of the slide or not.

Just recorded a bunch of silly tests xd. In case there is some time left, I will work on the climb ladder for first person. For third person will be added in the next update (due to I haven't the animations yet).

Regards.

Wetw0rx, Mark_01, hopeful and 2 others like this.
  50. Mr_squiggle

Mr_squiggle

I was wandering if you'll be adding types of traps for the player to create and encounter in the future. For example pressing on a pressure pad or something and a rock will drop and kill you, spikes will come out of the ground. Or something that gives you an option along those lines and allowing the player to edit it and make adjustments.

westryder907 likes this.