Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.0%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.2%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.0%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.1%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.5%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.6%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.4%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.2%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sr388

sr388

Hi @Obsurveyor (cool nick btw).

Yes, it was due to during the prefabs update, the reference to the object used by that button was removed and not noticed.

The object assigned is the whole locked camera system, so that button allows to enable or disable the locked cameras inside the mansion, to allow the player to play them on locked or free view. The same is configured in the other mansion demos, for regular locked camera, top down and point & click.

Here you can see the object to assign:

unknown.png

Regards.

2. blacksun666

blacksun666

will there be an update in the near future with the stuff youve shown since 2.4d dropped or will we have to wait till 3 for those goodies?

sr388 likes this.
  3. sr388

sr388

Not sure yet, but it is possible that some more update will be released before first version of 3.0. In any case, this first update for 3.0 will arrive in about a month.

Regards.

Mark_01 and Wetw0rx like this.
  4. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added a new poll to the main post of the forum so you can choose what elements should arrive first in the many updates that will be part of 3.0.

Of course, these elements in the poll are not all the systems and elements that will be added on 3.0, but they are some of the more important. If you think some feature or system should be included in the poll or is not included in the roadmap (main post of the forum), tell about it.

Regards.

5. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Due to the functions to make quick draw and quick keep actions for weapons were already added, it was very quick to add an option to make the player to draw, keep and change weapons quickly. Here you can see that option active combined with the quick draw when the aim button is pressed and the player is not carrying a weapon on his hands.

This works like in many games where the weapon appears in player hands when they are selected. Smooth transitions will be added later, so the weapon first appears in player's dominant hand and then, he places the weapon in the default walk position, along with the second hand grabbing the weapon (if the option to carry a weapon with both hands is active). Of course, the current way above can be used too as well, to avoid any transition in the weapon draw/keep action.

Later, the current system in GKC to grab a weapon an move it to the walk position in third person will be improved with splines. This will make the movement much more smooth and more natural.

Regards.

Mark_01 likes this.
  6. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added new content of the documentation, covering the first part with the first steps and basic setup. Maybe I will split the docs into separated parts for every category: input, weapons, inventory, vehicles, AI, player and camera, etc...

Here you can get it: GKC Documentation 2.4d

Regards.

Mark_01 and Boom_Shaka like this.
  7. AnthonyMyers

AnthonyMyers

i'm getting All compiler errors have to be fixed before you can enter playmode ! I tryed to using 2017.3 first then downloaded 2018.3 same results?? I also would like to know if this asset is using dlls?

8. sr388

sr388

Hi @AnthonyMyers.

Yes, sorry, the update 2.4d contained a code error, located in setTransparentSurfaces script. Open that script and remove the line 15 and 16. There is no dlls inside the asset.

This error is caused due to I forgot to remove these two references but the script was present in another folder of the project, out of GKC. Tell me if this works.

I noticed this error the same day the update was released (on monday of the previous week) and uploaded a fixed version (along with a few improvements) the same day, but the store is taking more time that usual to release the update.

Sorry again for this inconveniences.

Regards.

9. AnthonyMyers

AnthonyMyers

Yes that was the issue! Very impressed so far, a little bugy, but for the amount of work and differnt content this has a lot. A few things like computer with pass admin 1 isn't working but I'll review later on the other things.
    Would like to see it more modular!
    Just me but I can't stand rag doll physics I would like to turn them off completely still looking into how? any heads up would be appreciated.
    But thanks for the quick reply!! So far so good I like alot

10. sr388

sr388

Glad to hear that.

What computer are you trying? I remember that I configured admin 1 as password in some of them, but haven't find any as I think most of them use Lorem Ipsum as password now. Maybe I placed a text in the level to show the password but forgot to configure that password too, which is in the field Code of Computer Device inspector.

upload_2019-2-5_0-40-26.png
    Edit: I pressed the post button before write the whole message xd.

Yeah, in every update, the asset becomes more and more modular, you can be sure this will keep being done and improved.

About ragdolls, yes, they can be disabled, so death animations are used instead. For that, go to Ragdoll activator inspector and set the field Type of Death to Mecanim.

upload_2019-2-5_0-43-29.png
    Tell me if this works and more about the computer password.

Regards.

11. ivolga-indi

ivolga-indi

Hello! Does it already work in 2.4d?

sr388 likes this.
  12. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone,

The update 2.41d is already available, including the code issue fix and a few improvements.

Hi @ivolga-VR. This has been added after the release of 2.4d. In the update 2.41d from above, there is an option to fire weapons without need to aim in third person and a performance improvement in the code of the custom input manager.

The rest of elements after that will be included in another update that will be complete in a matter of a few days/a week, before start the new elements in the roadmap of 3.0.

And also, until the doc is totally complete, I am working on it every day as well.

Regards.

neodotca likes this.
  13. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I still improving the player's movement using weapons and powers. Currently I am making the player to move freely while using weapons in third person with an option to not use strafe movement, so if can be combined with the option to fire weapons without need to aim. This will also take care of player's hands with IK management, would just need an extra addition to place the hand according to player's rotation respect the camera, similar to this clip from Control:

The only element left to add is the hand position, which I think a point reference for looking left and right in backward direction according to player rotation will do the job.

improved player movements 2.gif

improved player movements 3.gif

Also, I have added a new menu in the main menu scene to select scenes. This is due to I will start to add little scenes demos to try more specific features and systems, which will allow to see and try these elements more easily and manage these scenes faster. It is a simple system which allows to configure as much scenes as needed and configure image, name and description, setting a scroll rect list. Here you can see it:

improved player movements 5.gif
    And finally, just recorded a clip showing the IK system active for player's feet, hands and head track:

improved player movements 7.gif
    Regards.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  14. uni7y

uni7y

Looking great Santi!! Is this already available in Github? I want to play with it ;)

sr388 likes this.
  15. sr388

sr388

Thanks @spotdot.

I have made the commit right now, forgot to do it yesterday haha.

Regards.

uni7y likes this.
  16. uni7y

uni7y

No problem :D just asking, but good to know no I can play with it!

sr388 likes this.
  17. sr388

sr388

Cool.

The management of the hand to be placed in right or left side according to player direction respect the camera should be complete between today and tomorrow.

Regards.

uni7y likes this.
  18. uni7y

uni7y

Nice man! more to play with tomorrow ;)

sr388 likes this.
  19. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added an option to allow the player to shoot and move freely without need to aim and without use strafe movement, similar to the gif of Control above. The system checks the rotation of the camera and player, gets the difference of the angle and according to that value, the weapon moves to the right of left side with options to configure if both hands keep holding the weapon or just once.

It needs some polish, but it works properly now.

Regards.

magique, Mark_01, blacksun666 and 3 others like this.
  20. Bob3000

Bob3000

Thats good but please move the character away to the left/lower corner a little. As you see in the Control demo, player need to see the target, please at least give us an option to place the character so it doesn't totally blocking what we are shooting at.

sr388 likes this.
  21. sr388

sr388

Thanks @Bob3000.

Sure, the camera can be placed anywhere, different states can be configured, included the default position of third and first person. There is already an example of this the clips and gifs I recorded some weeks ago:

This is a combination of a new camera state with an offset configured along with the option to use the strafe movement by default movement in the player. Also, he is using the aim option in weapons.

I will make another clip in some minutes showing a side camera with free movement active and using weapons without need to aim.

Regards.

Mark_01 and uni7y like this.
  22. sr388

sr388

Hi again, sorry for the wait.

Here the gifs I mentioned before with the camera displaced:

And here using weapons:

And here using both aim mode and free fire weapons mode at the same time:

Regards.

Mark_01, uni7y and Wetw0rx like this.
  23. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Player can now jump while carrying and firing weapons in free firing mode when he can move freely and fire without aiming and without using strafe movements.

I have fixed a issue from some time ago, related to change views for third/first person and viceversa with weapons, causing that the position of the carried weapon is not reset properly, it only needed to stop the coroutine which had assigned the weapon movement, literally, just call the function to stop the coroutine.

Here you can see the issue.

And the action fixed:

Along with this, it is also fixed a couple of transitions on the weapons when these are being keeping and then the player changes from third person to first and vice versa, which were correctly reset on the current weapon of the player.

Regards.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Testmobile and Mark_01 like this.
  24. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

The same option in weapons to move freely has been added to powers as well. The arms are rotated smoothly according to camera direction, setting which one (left or right) is used to fire the power according to camera direction.

Here a comparison with Infamous first light, which I have took inspiration for this option:

I will move to other stuff for the update, including some improvements and fixes and to the documentation as well.

Regards.

Testmobile and hopeful like this.
  25. DonYep

DonYep

Hi sr388:
    In version 2.4d, at the "Palyer Weapons Manager" script, if I disable the Assault Rifle and press the the "Get Weapon List" button,
    when unity running, I'll get a error:"

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    inventoryManager.equipCurrentObject () (at Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Inventory/inventoryManager.cs:1343)
    inventoryManager.Start () (at Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Inventory/inventoryManager.cs:250)
    "

, so, how can I set the start weaopn and change the UI weapon panel's weapons?
    When I press the RightShift key button, the editd weapon attachment view does't work, how can I make it work?
    Regards

26. sr388

sr388

Hi @GLGLWQJET.

1.- Get Weapon List is only used on editor mode (without playing) to get the current weapons configured and added inside player's body, it has not use in play mode.

Were you using it to activate that weapon in play mode?

There is not debug function to activate a weapon in the player in play mode, but this can be done using a weapon pickup from the prefabs, the one located in inventory if you are going to use the inventory to manage weapons or the one in weapons if the weapons are not managed by the inventory, like in doom 2016.

Here you can see the new first steps and basic use of the new version, with some explanations about weapons and inventory:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/74xm3rp9u...ntation 2.4d (First Steps and Setup).pdf?dl=0

2.- If you are going to use the inventory, I have to check this setting since I am not 100% sure that the option to start with a weapon works with the inventory option (it won't cause any error or similar, but it won't draw the weapon at the start).

If you are going to manage weapons without inventory, it is like previously, setting to enabled those weapons that the player can use and in the player weapons manager inspector, set the weapon to start. There is also a couple of settings to set to false, to avoid use the inventory with the weapons in that case, it is explained in the doc above, very easy to setup (just two boolean fields).

The weapons HUD can be found HUD gameObject, inside the HUD And Menus gameObject inside Character. The elements used there are assigned in the Elements part of player weapons manager (every component which uses parts of the UI, are assigned in its correspondent inspector).

3.- Which weapons are you using? The attachments are not configured in all the weapons, I think only in p-35, p-36, assault rifle and revolver. Any other weapon or one new that you have created need the Attachment gameObject inside one of those weapons I said and configure every attachment used, including configure the events to call to every weapon, for things like set the ammo type, magazine amount, fire type, etc....

The easiest thing is to use one of those weapons as placeholder and replace the model and configure the settings you need for the type of weapon to use.

Tell me if you have any other doubt or if this solves them.

Regards.

27. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Today, I have been making more improvements to the input system, focused in the performance, removing some checks and loops not needed, including gamepad and touch controls. Now the code is shorter, simpler, faster and better.

Tomorrow, I will add the option in the player to jump while he is on aim state in third person for powers/weapons. Until now, in that mode, it wasn't possible to jump due to it was coded like that, though he can already jump while firing weapons in free fire mode.

Regards.

Wetw0rx likes this.
  28. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Player can now jump while in aim mode too for both weapons and powers, aim in the air and even if the player falls from the ground, he won't stop the aim mode if he was on that state like previously was made. This allows quicker movements and transitions between states, so you can aim or just fire while keep moving or even jump while firing.

The next to do are some improvements in the map system and another couple of components, some minor things and fixes and this new update will be ready. Maybe a couple of new scenes will be added, with just a room or two to start to show more specific elements more easily using the new level selection menu.

Regards.

Wetw0rx and uni7y like this.
  29. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added an option to examine an object before pick it up, using the same examine system in the inventory,
    similar to games like resident evil.

And also, a new option to hold and release the drop button weapon, so it can be launched with more force, allowing to cause damage on collision, according to the time the key is held.

Regards.

30. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

Now I can finally recreate this scene:

Although I don't know what's more silly - throwing the gun after you see that bullets don't work or Superman dodging the gun when he knows it can't hurt him?

Wetw0rx and sr388 like this.
  31. hopeful

hopeful

Perhaps the gun was made of kryptonite, and the gunman didn't realize it? ;)

Wetw0rx, sr388 and Boom_Shaka like this.
  32. sr388

sr388

Enemies on GKC doesn't dodge bullets neither guns haha.

The cool thing is that this throw weapon action will be also used with melee weapons, so things like knifes, sword and other stuff will be able to be throw too. And for melee weapons, I will add an option similar to God of war 2018, to retrieve the weapon, including options to make them stick on the surface where they hit (even enemies) and in the return, they will be able to apply damage as well. This will be added once the melee combat system is started.

Btw, here some progress for the new animations (this is part of the running strafe movement):

animation 1.gif

Regards.

Mark_01, MorpheusXI, Wetw0rx and 3 others like this.
  33. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here the very first local multiplayer test.

Basically two players in the scene with the same Player ID, used in the input system, so both receive the same actions. Tomorrow will add the axes in the unity input system to use two gamepads (though I haven't the gamepads right now at my town), but it will allow to see that with Player ID 1 and 2, the second player shouldn't make any action using the keyboard, so only player 1 would perform those actions.

Regards.

Boom_Shaka and hopeful like this.
  34. MorpheusXI

MorpheusXI

---------
    Look forward to GKC supporting swimming as my project will have swimming pool(s) in it and probably sea, I'll probably use Aquas for pools / sea or maybe Skymaster. Just cast my vote for vendors/experience etc. - hope that includes a virtual currency ;) would be nice to tie that to paypal as well....although I'm expecting too much there - maybe an integration with some other asset for this, basic VC would be good though.

Mark_01, neodotca and sr388 like this.
  35. MorpheusXI

MorpheusXI

----

V3.0 looks awesome - thankyou for creating this roadmap, I can see you controller becoming the Lord of all Unity controllers. I would add one thing (which may already be there but not mentioned). For you dialogue system - I would like to use vocal audio instead of text, please include this at some point. I would type text as notes in your system which would not be displayed so I know what's in the mp3/wav file. I final inclusion would be to have random lip movement as part of GKC and for improved lipsync an option to integrate Salsa Lipsync Pro. Of course you may want to make the lipsync more pro in GKC but for speed rand lip movement when audio plays would be quick and cheap alternative :). Thankyou :) :)

neodotca and sr388 like this.
  36. sr388

sr388

Yes, the swim system will be included in 3.0 ;)

About the virtual currency, that is not planned yet, the system is meant to be just money in the player's pocket gathered from enemy loot, objects picked in the level and similar, to use it to buy and sell stuff in the shop system, similar to games like resident evil 4, borderlands, dead space and others. There should be solutions to use real money on games but it is not planned for the moment.

Thanks to you for your nice words :) 3.0 is something I can't really wait, just finishing the previous update 2.9, with some preparations.

Yes, in the dialog system on GKC, options to use audio files will be available as well. Along with a custom solution for dialog, the asset Dialog System is planned to be integrated too.

About lips movements, it is possible that at some point could be added a custom solution, but it is a low priority now. Other solution as Salsa Lipsync could be integrated once the custom dialog system is added to GKC and the other dialog solution integrated.

Regards.

MorpheusXI and Mark_01 like this.
  37. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have improved the system to manage player on moving platforms. Here just a short test with it, now the player will adjust to rotating or moving objects in the scene if he falls/jump on them.

And next test for local multiplayer:

Both players move at the same time even if they have different ID due to I am using only the keyboard, so the input is being taken from the same source and the multiple players need at least one gamepad to activate the using gamepad state on the input system. There will be also options to use the keyboard for one player and gamepads for the rest as well.

Next week, I will be able to make further test with keyboard and multiple gamepads.

Regards.

38. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a quick video showing the initial version of local multiplayer system, able to manage any number of players, using keyboard and different gamepads at the same time.

The split screen has been configured manually, but according to number of players, it will be configured automatically (usually from 2 to 4 players, a higher number would be difficult to player in small screens).

In the first one, I am using the keyboard for the one above and gamepad for the one in the bottom and for the other three, keyboard and 2 gamepads.

Mostly what I had to do is just drag 3 players into the scene and configure manually the cameras, the rest of stuff was already made some time ago and just needed to add an extra element to the input system. Most elements for local multiplayer are already done, there is just minor stuff to adapt, probably could take 2 or 3 extra days to have all of that ready, so not sure if it will be included on 2.9 or 3.0.

I am controlling the three at the same time, that is the reason of awkward actions xd.

Regards.

hopeful and Boom_Shaka like this.
  39. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

Dude. You. Rock.

That is all.

sr388 likes this.
  40. hopeful

hopeful

I LOVE that you are developing for multiplayer!

I have another free networking protocol to add for your consideration: Mirror. I don't think I mentioned it before, but possibly I did. It's used by the uMMORPG plugin, which became widely owned after being included in the Humble Bundle last year. Anyway, while I haven't tried converting a code base from one networking protocol to another, people who have done so tend to say it is pretty easy. I'm guessing it's easier if you think about it from the outset and put all the networking code in one place.

I bet the experience you are currently getting with doing the local multiplayer will help you a lot in figuring out how to integrate networking without scattering the networking commands all over the code base. :)

sr388 likes this.
  41. sr388

sr388

Did you doubt it? Haha, just kidding, thanks @Boom_Shaka, happy to hear you like it.

Thanks @hopeful.

Yeah, mirror is considered right now as one of the possible systems to use for the online. I am curious to see what system unity introduces after uNet deprecation, but mirror is very taken into account.

And yes, I wanted to work first in the local multiplayer as a previous step to dive into the online system and because it feels like natural steps to move GKC to the next level.

Regards.

MorpheusXI, Mark_01 and hopeful like this.
  42. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added a new option on vehicles to draw weapon automatically when player gets off if he was carrying a weapon previously. Here an example getting on and off while carrying and not carrying a weapon.

Also, I have replaced the old input system on vehicles with the new one using events, so now is much more customizable and doesn't need to add extra code to work.

Regards.

Mark_01, Willbkool_FPCS and hopeful like this.
  43. hopeful

hopeful

Yay for events! :)

sr388 likes this.
  44. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I forgot to mention in my last post that there is another option to reset camera rotation toward player direction if the camera is not rotated during x amount of time. Also, the rotation can be triggered by an action, using - key. This works in any gravity direction too and the amount of time and the speed can be configured as well.

Here for example, the camera is reset after 3 seconds without moving it.

Events are love.

Regards.

45. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

More test for the local multiplayer, this time, with locked camera. The forth player is not moving due to I haven't a third gamepad (I am using the keyboard and two gamepads for the other players).

And also, another part where every player is able to get on and off from a vehicle. The system is able to know which seat the player will be, by searching the closest one to the player. If he is a passenger, he can't drive, just rotate his camera around the vehicle. Only the player on the driver seat will be able to drive.

Regards.

46. hopeful

hopeful

@sr388 - Just curious ... in the scenario above where you run down one of the players ... is it possible for another player to lift up his body (grab object) and load it into the vehicle and drive off with it?

sr388 likes this.
  47. sr388

sr388

The player is able to grab ragdolls and carry anywhere, carrying it on his hands or using the aim mode, though you can leave it in the rear part of the vehicle and maybe physics allows to stay there while driving.

Maybe the cargo system could allow to place dead or knocked characters in ragdoll state and stay there until any player pick it up again. I want also add pickups to resurrect or awaken them.

Regards.

48. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

The animations for running strafe movements are ready. In 2-3 days, the update 2.9 will be complete and 3.0 will be started, and the first elements will be to replace ethan model by this one, remake the animator, add these animations, add the armor/cloth system, and work in the poll elements from the forum.

I have also modified the map system and it is almost ready to manage multiple players at the same time, showing to every player the position, floor and building where he is, even if every player is on a different building of floor.

Regards.

49. hopeful

hopeful

He's got a lot of padding; he must know what's coming. ;)

I dub him ... "Pillow Man!"

sr388 likes this.
  50. blacksun666

blacksun666

Got a question about the map system. Is this just for maps and mini-maps or is it actually used to make the 3d environment the controller runs around in?

sr388 likes this.