Search Unity

On Rails Shooter Game Template

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by puppeteer, Oct 14, 2016.

1. puppeteer

puppeteer

What does it do?
    This package allows you to create your very own On-Rails Shooter game! The game is ready to release straight out of the box, and it can also be easily customized to make it even more engaging to your players. The game supports PC/Mac/Mobile. It can be played with the mouse, keyboard, gamepad, and touch.

Update History:

1.00 (20.03.2018)

- Weapons can use projectiles instead of instant raycast hit. Projectiles can have a hit effect, forward speed variation, upwards speed, and drop speed.
    - Area of effect damage which can hit all targets within range. This is used in a Grenade item, a Grenade launcher weapon, and explosive barrels.
    - New grenade launcher weapon has an arc motion, and an area of effect damage.
    - Weapons inventory can hold several weapons, and the player can cycle through them. Weapons can be collected from the scene and added to the inventory.
    - Items inventory holds items we pick up from the scene, and you can cycle through all the collected items.
    - Grenade pickup item can be thrown at enemies with area of effect damage.
    - Fix: Health packs can heal more than 1 point.
    - Fix: Camera focus on waypoint also keeps spawned items in frame. Smoother focus.
    - Small bug fixes and scene changes.

0.80 (10.02.2018)
    - Multiple hit areas on an enemy, which cause different damage value, and give different bonus value with special effect.
    - Hold a button to hide behind cover. While in cover you cannot shoot and cannot be shot. Cover has health and can be destroyed by enemies. You can set loot drop from destroyable objects, including items list and drop chance.
    - Option to make player look at current group of enemies, keeping them in the camera frame.
    - You can set one or more actions that happen when the player reaches a waypoint. This can be chosen from any object and public function in the scene.
    - Instead of being destroyed, enemies despawn and respawn as needed. The death effect is assigned to the enemy object.
    - When revisiting a waypoint after killing all enemies, enemies will respawn.
    - Fix: Enemies will get close enough before executing a melee attack, regardless of how much time passed. If they have a flying area they will return to it, otherwise they will stay close.
    - Fix: Enemy projectiles will now always fly towards the player position (player camera).

0.60 (20.12.2017):

- Examples of destructible environment objects such as barrels and buildings.
    - Destroyable objects/enemies and pickup items give bonus score.
    - You can set loot drop from destroyable objects, including items list and drop chance.
    - End-of-game statistics show bonus score for accuracy, health, and completion, and a rating icon based on the total score.
    - You can set one or more actions that happen when the player reaches a waypoint. This can be chosen from any object and public function in the scene.
    - You can have a list of attack types that the enemy can use in sequence or randomly. Each attack has its own animation/effect/damage/range.
    - You can have a melee enemy attack type which gets closer to the player and then attacks them directly without throwing a projectile.
    - Randomized corpse rotation for a nicer variation when enemies die.

0.40 (19.11.2017)
    - You can set a custom hurt effect for each enemy projectile, which appears on-screen.
    - You can add a health bar and name label above each enemy. Health bars are world UI.
    - Optimized scenes for mobile play, tested on Samsung Galaxy S6 and LG V400.
    - Bug fix: If an enemy who has slowmotion effect dies, the slowmotion is cancelled.
    - Bug fix: Recoil position is no longer affected by actual screen size.

0.31 (30.10.2017)
    - Updated to Unity 5.5, 5.6, and 2017.
    - Removed script assets from Unity demo.
    - Prepared basis for further feature updates.

0.3 (02.11.2016)
    - You can set multiple paths from each waypoint, so the player can choose where to go next.
    - Weapons now have a Recoil attribute, which makes them kickback when shooting.
    - Hittable objects ( things that can be hit, destroyed, and enemies ) can flash when hit.
    - You can set the player to keep moving even when enemies appear. This allows you to create "driveby" encounters.
    - Player auto aligns to the starting waypoint inside the editor, so you can see where it will start playing. - You can create a slow motion effect.
    - Enemy Animator can be placed anywhere within the enemy prefab.
    - Particle effects now play a random seed each time they trigger.
    - You can set a de-spawn time for enemies, making them hide again after appearing.
    - You can choose to attach hit effects to the parent object that was hit.

0.2 (27.10.2016):
    - A player that can aim at the screen, has health and a weapon, and can be shot by enemies.
    - Create a path for your player with custom move/turn speed, acceleration, start/end animation, camera angle, on-screen message, enemy spawns, and item spawns.
    - 2 example enemy types, one that shoots at the player, and another that flies within a limited area and shoots a destructible projectile at the player.
    - 3 example weapon types, one basic single shot weapon, a shotgun with a high spread, and an automatic rifle.
    - Item pickups for the weapons and a health pickup.
    - Start screen, options screen, victory screen, and a message screen you can show at any point in the path.[/MEDIA]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  2. puppeteer

puppeteer

Here's a Work-In-Progress making the main character for the start screen and animating it:

3. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

This looks really great. How hard do you think adding touch controls would be for mobile support?

puppeteer likes this.
  4. puppeteer

puppeteer

Initially I decided to make this demo work well for standalone builds, but I believe the package can be easily updated to work on mobile devices after lowering some of the quality settings. I'll do some tests now to see how it would work and post a video here.

5. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

I was told creating railshooters in Unity was a bad idea.
    Guess what's happening?

6. puppeteer

puppeteer

You can create any type of game with Unity these days.
    Who told you railshooters in Unity was a bad idea? I'll show 'em :D

7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Equally as bad when created in any other engine.
    Unity has nothing to do with some who dislike on-rail shooters.
    Some just dislike the linearity of this genre.

puppeteer likes this.
  8. puppeteer

puppeteer

Speaking of linearity. I've already added code to the game to make it possible to have multiple paths diverging from a waypoint. The way it works is when you reach a diverging path, arrow buttons are automatically created to point to the possible paths you can take, and then you can click on any of them to move in that path.

I'll show a WIP video later.

Rajmahal and theANMATOR2b like this.
  9. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

This reminds me somewhat of Atari's coin-op Area 51.

This game would work well with a light gun too.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    puppeteer likes this.
  10. puppeteer

puppeteer

Used to play that game alot, among others!

If anyone's wondering what game we are talking about, this is it:

11. puppeteer

puppeteer

BTW, here is a playable link for the desert demo:

FIREFOX DEMO

CHROME DEMO

There are two versions for Firefox and Chrome so tell me if any of them doesn't work for you.

12. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Maximum Force was another Atari coin-op which followed the same style as Area 51 and they were in a combo arcade cabinet at some locations.

puppeteer likes this.
  13. puppeteer

puppeteer

My most played on-rails was probably Virtua Cop, I still remember the echo in those arcades, it's something special.

14. puppeteer

puppeteer

Had a little moment when accidentally setting the enemies to be too deadly :D

15. puppeteer

puppeteer

@Rajmahal : I just tested a build of On Rails Shooter on an iPad Mini 4. This is of course not an official update, but it does work okay on the device. I had to change the FOV of the camera to make it fit the iPad aspect ratio, and you can notice the crosshair is still on-screen, but I can make it so that when we build to mobile it disappears or appears differently.

When I do the mobile update for this package I will also create a new demo dedicated to the mobile version. Or maybe I should do one now quickly for Halloween? What do you think, guys?

16. puppeteer

puppeteer

17. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Honestly, I think your demo is fine. I'd think about features to add if you wanted to do anything to enhance it. For example se ondary weapons like grenades would be cool.

puppeteer likes this.
  18. puppeteer

puppeteer

I like the idea of having consumable items that you pickup and can use at a later time, so this could be a grenade in a shooter, or a clear screen bomb in a starfox style on-rails, or maybe a healing item. Good idea.

19. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Consumables, screen clearing items and other kinds of power ups would be great.

20. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Friendly units that penalize the player if shot would be good too.

puppeteer and theANMATOR2b like this.
  21. puppeteer

puppeteer

That's a great idea, There is a ChangeHealth() function that I use to increase the health of the player when picking up a health item. The same function can be used to hurt the player when he "picks up" a friendly unit.

I'm almost done making a video that shows how to create a new level with a path and populate it with enemies and pickups. I decided to add some Halloween assets to the tutorial from the package I showed you earlier, but you don't need them to follow the tutorial.

I'll post it soon.

22. puppeteer

puppeteer

Here's the process video for creating a new level with enemies and pickups:

There are only captions for this video, but if you want I can make an effort to have voice narration explaining the steps too.

Nottingham1stBlood and DevMember like this.
  23. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Cool ... The only thing I can think of is a shield/cover system like Time Crysis.

puppeteer likes this.
  24. puppeteer

puppeteer

I could add a Cover Point that can be assigned to a waypoint, and allow the player to press a button to hide behind it. When behind cover you cannot be hit, and it could have some limitations such as not being able to shoot either. Or it could be that you can only reload when in cover.

25. puppeteer

puppeteer

26. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Iam highly interested. Question. When is release and will you implement some kind of sloMo perk like time crysis or a way to move left and right or cover to avoid getting shot? And can you please add a melee enemy? That appears in close range and try to beat/bite the player? And how about destrucable boxes where the enemy hide behind. Destory the box to get better shot at the enemy.

27. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

a level system with a map would be nice.

28. puppeteer

puppeteer

Something like this maybe?

pushingpandas likes this.
  29. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

yeah awesome! Please can I buy it now! Thanks :D I pay directly to you and you can give me later a voucher for the store?! So I can use asset right now. We need it for Helloween which is soon.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    puppeteer likes this.
  30. puppeteer

puppeteer

Sorry, I can't give vouchers in exchange for an out-of-store sale or Unity will cause lots of trouble for me.
    Anyway, the package was submitted on 12.10 so I expect it will be accepted into the store very soon. I think it's talking them longer than usual because the package is a bit more advanced than my earlier ones.

BTW, that video I showed with a Halloween theme uses BitGem's model pack, but it's not included in the OnRails package.

31. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Thank you I understand that. Yes I know about the BitGems Pack. We create our own assets graphical wise.

32. puppeteer

puppeteer

33. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

already purchased and rated it :D

puppeteer likes this.
  34. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Hello, could you please make a video how to change the enemies? We are using soldiers with guns. Thank you!

35. puppeteer

puppeteer

Thanks, that's awesome! Put a link to your project when it's done :D

36. puppeteer

puppeteer

The basic enemies have a muzzle point which they shoot from like a gun, so it can basically be the same with a soldier. Can you send me one of your soldier models so I can make a video showing how it can be used as a new enemy?

37. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

sure, can you pm me your email?

38. puppeteer

puppeteer

Had a question earlier about adding new enemies using assets from Simple Military Package so I made this video:

39. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

any idea when you update the version with the choosable path?

puppeteer likes this.
  40. puppeteer

puppeteer

Should be ready to submit by Wednesday, so should be in the store by next week.

I'll post a video about it when I'm sure it work well, so you'll see it first :D

41. puppeteer

puppeteer

42. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

awesome, can't wait

43. puppeteer

puppeteer

Update 0.3 has been submitted to the store!

0.3 (02.11.2016)
    • You can set multiple paths from each waypoint, so the player can choose where to go next.
    • Weapons now have a Recoil attribute, which makes them kickback when shooting.
    • Hittable objects ( things that can be hit, destroyed, and enemies ) can flash when hit.
    • You can set the player to keep moving even when enemies appear. This allows you to create "driveby" encounters.
    • Player auto aligns to the starting waypoint inside the editor, so you can see where it will start playing.
    • You can create a slow motion effect.
    • Enemy Animator can be placed anywhere within the enemy prefab.
    • Particle effects now play a random seed each time they trigger.
    • You can set a de-spawn time for enemies, making them hide again after appearing.
    • You can choose to attach hit effects to the parent object that was hit.

44. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

hope the update is out soon. My production is on hold. :D

45. puppeteer

puppeteer

Looks like the unity staff is busy at Unite, updates are taking a long time to pass.
    I'll prepare a package for you to download, so stay tuned.

46. puppeteer

puppeteer

I just made a new video showing how to add multiple paths to victory in the game. Check it out, it could add alot of replay value to your game!

47. puppeteer

puppeteer

Here's how you can change the flashing color of an enemy when it gets hit:

48. Migueljb

Migueljb

Could this possibly work with the Gear VR's touch pad. Something like tap to go on the camera path then hold down or some other button on the game pad to shoot or make a decision etc. Really need something like this for mobile VR.

puppeteer likes this.
  49. puppeteer

puppeteer

I've tried to build the current demo to VR and it looks like it can work out pretty well. Of course it needs alot of work to get the UI aligned correctly, and change the input to be closer to the VR demo Unity provides, so you'll be able to look at a target and shoot at it. The reloading would be through a swipe on the touchpad.

I added this to the experiments list.

50. Migueljb

Migueljb

Very cool. Will def purchase once its gear vr ready. Thanks for looking into that.

puppeteer likes this.