Search Unity

Bug On-Demand shadow maps

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by andyz, Nov 5, 2020.

1. andyz

andyz

I am testing on-demand rendering of shadow maps and reflection probes which is a nice feature, except the shadows flicker every frame that the reflection probe is updated so is this a known bug?
    Edit: this was happening if continually updating on-demand shadows. Perhaps a corner case, will check...

On-demand shadows are definitely buggy though - e.g. realtime shadows do not draw shadowcasters on layers hidden to current camera, on-demand ones 'usually' do...

Case #1290487

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  2. DrSeltsam

DrSeltsam

Which HDRP version do you use? OnDemand-Shadow updating seems to be almost useless in HDRP 8 and 7: Depending on the amount of realtime lights in the scene and your current camera position, you often don't get proper shadow maps. I'm already using pretty big shadow atlases (with plenty of free space for shadow maps, according to the debugger), but in most cases, I just get broken shadow maps when using OnDemand-Updates (unless I call RequestShadowMapRendering() every frame, but this obviously defeats the purpose of OnDemand-Shadows)...

Unity stated somewhere that they're going to rework that feature - and it looks like these changes have landed in HDRP 10. I haven't tested it yet (since I haven't upgraded to 2020.2 yet), but I keep my fingers crossed that OnDemand-Shadows finally work in that version.

andyz likes this.
  3. andyz

andyz

Yeah on 8. V10 is looking like a good upgrade when out of beta