Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

On Demand Rendering new in a7

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by User340, Jun 26, 2019.

1. User340

User340

I noticed the following release note:
    • Graphics: On Demand Rendering. Ability to set the rendering speed independently from other engine updates.
    I would like to know more about it. Any more information? How do you use it? Why was it created?

jhocking, Gekigengar, jGate99 and 2 others like this.
  2. tcmeric

tcmeric

Plus one. More info please :)

3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

An use-case I was always interested to implement, which requires this new feature:

On a mobile device...
    • If there is little going-on animation wise and no user input, I wanted to reduce the frame-rate a lot, such as to 10 fps for example. This is to save battery power.
    • If the user touches the display again, I wanted to immediately increase the frame-rate again, so the game feels responsive.
    However, because rendering and input update rate can't be specified independently (in earlier Unity versions), as soon as I make the game run at 10 fps, input lags and you can't reliably detect immediate input changes.

If the rendering speed is separated from the other engine parts, I just could reduce the rendering speed to 10 fps but keep the rest of the game, such as input, at 30 fps and the game will stay responsive and allows me to immediately detect input changes to increase the rendering speed again.

4. User340

User340

Do you know how to start using it? What's the API?

5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Nope, I also wasn't able to find "On Demand Rendering" in the 2019.3 script reference yet.

6. mgear

mgear

7. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I'm actually more curious what that GetRenderFrameInterval() does (I mean technically the steps, it's obvious from the name what it returns) and if it would be possible to expose it.

8. JJJohan

JJJohan

Two questions come to mind:
    * Is this approach similar to using the scriptable player loop to separate rendering functions from other subsystems?
    * If not, does this work on WebGL where rendering is done on the same thread as everything else?

tcmeric likes this.
  9. jGate99

jGate99

Same here

10. davidro_unity

davidro_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey all, just found this thread now after Hackweek.

I believe that we're going to do a blog post about this feature at some point but I'll start off here with some details and answer any questions that you may have.

First I want to say that Peter77 is spot on about what this feature is and why we created it.

The API consists of only three properties in the namespace UnityEngine.Rendering.

OnDemandRendering.renderFrameInterval

This is the most important part. It allows you to get or set the render frame interval which is a dividing factor of Application.targetFrameRate or QualitySettings.vSyncCount to define the new framerate. For example, if you set Application.targetFrameRate to 60 and OnDemandRendering.renderFrameInterval to 2 only every other frame will render. Yielding a framerate of 30 FPS.

OnDemandRendering.effectiveFrameRate

An estimate of the frame rate that your application will render at. The estimate is determined using the values of OnDemandRendering.renderFrameInterval, Application.targetFrameRate, QualitySettings.vSyncCount and the display refresh rate. Of course this is just an estimate and not a guarantee and your application may render slower than this if the CPU is bogged down by work from other things such as scripts, physics, networking, etc.

OnDemandRendering.willThisFrameRender

This simply tells you if the current frame will be rendered to the screen. You can use non rendered frames to do some additional CPU intensive work such as heavy math operations, loading assets or spawning prefabs.

The gist is that the rendering portion of the update loop is just skipped entirely on frames that don't need to be rendered.

You probably can do something similar with the scriptable player loop. I have not personally tried though.

It does work with WebGL! In fact it works on all platforms and render systems.

11. User340

User340

Great, this sounds exciting! Any chance that you will add the ability for us to cause the render, similar to Camera.Render(). Often I have nothing moving on the screen until user input is detected, would be nice if it didn't render at all.

12. davidro_unity

davidro_unity

Unity Technologies

No plans currently. However you may be able to have that kind of control with the scriptable render loops(both light and high def).

pKallv and User340 like this.
  13. Inter-Illusion

Inter-Illusion

Can that be accomplished by setting OnDemandRendering.renderFrameInterval to a large value when nothing is moving, and then to 1 when we want the next frame to render?

Havokki and User340 like this.
  14. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Is culling (and hence the culling callbacks) performed when rendering is not? If not, that would be useful as an optional feature to ensure script determinism regardless of the rendering interval.

15. davidro_unity

davidro_unity

Unity Technologies

Yeah you can absolutely do this. The change in to the rendering speed takes effect on the next player loop update so it's nearly instantaneous.

16. davidro_unity

davidro_unity

Unity Technologies

It looks like the answer is no, they will not be performed on update frames when rendering is not being done. The same is also true for WaitForEndOfFrame.

17. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Hm, the former just means being careful with anything non-visual being triggered by those callbacks, which is not that much of an issue. WaitForEndOfFrame being skipped is a bit more of a concern. Isn't there any way for this feature to force it, so that there is a valid callback after LateUpdate?

18. davidro_unity

davidro_unity

Unity Technologies

I'm not quite sure how to handle that yet. The docs for WaitForEndOfFrame do specify that it is called at the end of a frame when camera and UI are rendered so it makes sense that it wouldn't occur on non-rendered frames. But I can definitely see how that could be an issue. I'll keep investigating to see if I can find a solution.

Peter77 likes this.
  19. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Cool. Generally, I use https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ExecutionOrder.html as the holy bible of event order, and that always had that callback outside the rendering block, so if it cannot be raised it might just be a case of updating the diagram.

Noisecrime likes this.
  20. Shikshen

Shikshen

I can confirm that this is a viable solution. What we did is, if nothing has changed since last frame (e.g. no calls to a custom RenderNextFrame() function), the current one will be rendered to an offscreen buffer that will be blit to the screen on every frame until something changes (skipping culling and rendering entirely).

You have to be careful about the few cases where you need to render the frame even if nothing has changed (typically the screen/window size changed). There are a few other potential issues, for example it seems that Unity uses the culling phase to do other work, such as updating the particle systems. If you skip culling completely, they will not be updated at all. It is unlikely to be a problem, but this caused a few oddities in our project.

21. User340

User340

I noticed that, seems the Animator acts odd when culling is shutoff. Hopefully Unity will address these culling-related issues in a future update.

22. OCASM

OCASM

So I just found this thread and just wanted to say that you could do this sort of thing before by simply rendering manually into a RenderTexture with Camera.Render() and having another camera display the texture.

23. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

Nope, input was still tied to framerate, so you'd still have to draw it 60 times a second if you wanted responsive input.

User340 and Prodigga like this.
  24. OCASM

OCASM

Only the camera displaying the rendertexture does so at 60fps, the camera that actually renders the scene (into the rendertexture) can be set to render to 1fps if you want to.

25. Prodigga

Prodigga

Which is the very problem that this feature solves. Rendering a full screen render texture at 60fps is not free. Not to mention that your frame time using your method would be slower overall since after the scene is rendered you then need to do additional work to blit that result to the frame buffer.

26. CyRaid

CyRaid

Is this usable in 2019.2? I'm about to build an application that would definitely need a feature like this.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  27. davidro_unity

davidro_unity

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately it is not. It's a new feature to 2019.3 and I there aren't currently any plans to backport it to earlier versions.

28. smallstep

smallstep

Guys, what is your experience with this feature on mobiles so far? I had measured that a *static* 2d screen (with no calls inside update) drains +100% the battery that a static Flutter app drains in the same time period.

Does this feature brings energy consumption drastically down?

29. amateurd

amateurd

If I try this in WebGL it doesn't compile. Does work well on other platforms.

30. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Has anyone else ran into problems with using this?

I'm working on a new project in 2019.4.21 for mobile and thought i'd give it a go.

Unfortunately it would appear this feature breaks WorldSpace Canvases as when I increase the renderFrameInterval they will disappear and only render for the single frame at the renderFrameInterval, which ultimately causes the canvas to flicker on/off.

Has anyone else encountered this?

I can only assuming there is something in the worldSpace canvas rendering that is dependent upon an internal render method being called every frame to render to the screen and its no longer getting called. Perhaps its related to the comment above that 'WaitForEndOfFrame' might not be called?

EDIT
    Ah this is only happening when using the Unity Device Simulator and viewing the simulator as opposed to the Game view window. Though I've yet to test on an actual device, but hopefully this issue is solely related to the Device Simulator.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  31. mklasson

mklasson

Noisecrime likes this.