Search Unity

on a VPN when opening a Project can DESTROY it.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Unlimited_Energy, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Unlimited_Energy

Unlimited_Energy

I noticed if you are on a VPN when attempting to load a unity project it will be stuck indefinitely on the Unity loading screen until you close the VPN connection AND force close Unity. Now ive noticed that when you attempt to upgrade a project to a new version of unity and you forget to turn off your VPN and attempt to force close Unity(It WILL not resume when your back on your regular connection and not a VPN, It MUST be force closed EVERY time) this seems to SUPPER F***** projects. Is unity certain that nothing in the process when attempting to upgrade a project while on a VPN and closing it on the splash screen will not screw up anything? I've had to restore my project 2 times from backup because a SHYYYYT ton of stuff goes bonkers in the console and the project itself just seems to break.

Unity might want to look into this as anyone on a VPN going threw this might have a giant headache, or im just super unlucky and these are anomalies. I ALWAYS get recursion detected when this happens and lots of Invalid GUID and META file issues, API updater issues when I upgrade a project to a newer version while on a VPN having to force close unity at the splash screen after selecting my project in unity hub to upgrade. I'm on 2019 LTS versions right now. The latest, but this has been an ongoing issue it seems.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Lots of people use both a VPN and Unity at the same time. It is almost certainly your specific VPN configuration causing the issues (though Unity could of course more gracefully handle whatever the problem is other than freezing).

This sounds a lot like the NordVPN problem by the way, where they redirect local IP traffic out the VPN when they should not. NordVPN knows about their problem, but are dragging their feet at fixing it.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/cant-use-unity-with-nordvpn.610114/

Unlimited_Energy likes this.