Search Unity

OMEGA Sector - Now On KickStarter

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by boco, Apr 29, 2012.

1. boco

boco

Here is a video of our gameplay currently

Our team has been working in or spare time to make this prototype and would like support to finish the game and polish it for our fellow gamers. Please check it out as we need all the support we get. We enjoy making this game and would like to see it finished for all to enjoy. We will be releasing a playable build of the game so player's can play the game shown in the video. Also join us on facebook to get the latest updates. Game has fully working Multiplayer and supports up to 32 players. Please check out kickstarter for details on this game. I will also be happy to chat with anyone via email.

Contact Info:
    ThomasAnthonyBaca@gmail.com

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blacken-Steel-Studios-Public-Page/176792085682662

Kick Starter Link http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1182205240/omega-sector

We are always looking for volunteers to help us finish this game. It is a passion project of mine and my team and we would love to work full-time and with your support we can!

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  2. SterDee

SterDee

Hey did you consider using indiegogo since you are trying to raise such a large amount? At indiegogo you get to keep the money no matter what you raise.

3. boco

boco

I might consider that thank you.

4. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Your pledges need work IMO.

"Also meet the team for dinner and a picture taken with us."

lol. swt.

5. Rya

Rya

This is going to fall flat and you are going to be deeply disappointed. The pledges look unprofessional and hastily done. The game itself looks like it has potential but I don't think you sold it very well. Also the post above me is totally correct.

6. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

That should have a "The" at the start and I'm rather sure you mean Java Script not Java, i would say UnityScript as this is the general named used around the place so devs may think that you know a bit by using that wording.

7. boco

boco

Worst case I fall flat on my face but at least I can say I tried and I put myself out there. What is wrong with that?

8. boco

boco

I appreciate your feedback. I'am not a car sells-men at all and I just want to at least throw my game out there worst case I fail. There is nothing wrong with at least trying. All I can do is pick myself up and try again. So I appreciate this I will redo the pledges to be more professional. I did put a lot of effort into this game and I just want others to enjoy what I worked so hard to create.

9. boco

boco

I fixed "The" and changed java to javascript. Also uploading a new vid my first vid was corrupted so I put place holder.

10. boco

boco

LOL I didn't give up then and I won't give up now that is my point. Best case I can make the game , give people jobs and give players a game they can enjoy ... worst case it's a learning experience and I got some attention for the game and gain support for the project. Point is don't give up and keep on soldiering on and just learn from people. So really I do appreciate the feedback and letting me know of flaws in my kickstarter as I learn from the community. Adapt and overcome.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  11. HolBol

HolBol

That's a quadruple post. Keep it in one post.

12. Meltdown

Meltdown

The game has potential.

But its look and feel has been heavily let down by the bland terrain on your videos. If your terrain had that extra bit of care taken, with texture and landscape variety.. it would have gone a long way. But one look at that terrain just puts me off.

13. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I would have to agree. I thought this at first too but I never thoguht about saying it.

14. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I also agree about the terrain comments. It takes 5 minutes MAX to load up a few texture variations and splatter them around, and it makes a heck of a difference to how the game looks.

Only thing I felt the built in terrain editor lacked was a nice set of brushes for good variation, but its easy enough to load a handful more in.

15. boco

boco

I'am a programmer so if it looks bland it's because I suck at Level Design simple as that. I been primarily concerned about how the game plays rather than how it looks. I have been looking for a level designer if you look in the collaboration section , because of my lack of skill in level designing. Also I would like to point out the game has fully working multiplayer , combat, and vehicles and more because of the hard (Programming)work I put into the game. If you know someone that would like to do level design send them my way I can use those team members.

here is my thread http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/118828-Blacken-Steel-Studios-Looking-for-people?highlight=blacken+steel+studios for that as you can see I been continually asking for those team members and in need of them. I'am just showing that I have been continually working on this title and haven't abandon it in the 2 years since I started it. If anyone here knows someone that wants to work on this project please let me know I really need the support. Again I do appreciate the feedback on the game and I constantly update the game's code usually every month when I'am not busy with my family and making money doing odd jobs. I just want to be open and honest with the community here so they know the whole story.

Also which is why I started a kickstarter because it is very very hard to get volunteer's to do work on a game project for absolutely no pay. I know because I been working on this project for about 2 years now and in that time I have had only 1 loyal person continually doing work other than myself that person is Cioban Emanuel. So I'am just looking for support and reaching out with this game concept that I been working on almost by myself. I know the game doesn't look awesome ATM but I know it can be but I lack those Art skills necessary to make it pop. If you haven't notice I'am using Angry Bots char as the player lol if that shows the lack of art content. I do appreciate all the feedback from the community and I'am just clarifying why the game looks the way it does.

Here is what the game use to look like long long time ago

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  16. _Petroz

_Petroz

It looks like you've put a lot of hard work in, it has come a long way since those prototype videos. I really like the fact that it is in both space and surface, cool project. I think 50k is pretty ambitious but don't be discouraged if you don't make it, it's looking great!

I think your project could benefit from some fresh skyboxes for space. Check this out:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/spacescape/

17. boco

boco

Worst case I fail and that isnt so bad I get a learning experience and I know what not to do next time and I go from there and I'm just being open and honest about the project and which is why I'am just seeking support for it. I know of all the graphic short comings of the game but I was hoping my gameplay concept would over come these short comings. Thank you for your feedback though and I will look into the space sky boxes. I haven't worked on space that much since I implemented the shipyard in space. So far all you can do is fly around in space then return back to the planet and I still need to get trasitions from planet to space and vise versa right now it just teleports the ship to the planet.

Also a friend suggested if it does fail just break the game up into Episodes and each episode introduces a new gameplay and art update for the game. So if I do fail I will come back with a 10k goal and put that as episode 1 Battle of Shi-itee maybe idk we will think of something.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  18. _Petroz

_Petroz

Yeah I agree that you would probably have better success with a more modest target. Having no reputation to fall back on makes it hard to get credibility with potential backers.

Being a programmer myself I can completely relate to this. My starting point is always a unique gameplay mechanic but from my experience most average people seem to need a decent level of graphics. At first they would all get hung up on some placeholder graphic, in my case it was "you'll have to fix those square looking projectiles". So I did, then it was something else, one-by-one I improved those elements and people seemed to get past the graphics and see the game. It can be a bit time consuming but I tried not to get too bogged down, just made it good enough to stop distracting people. I figure I can always iterate the graphics and improve them again before I ship. Anyway, I hope my tale can help you too.

19. boco

boco

*Bump* check out our new Title image for the game.

20. SevenBits

SevenBits

A few small typos aren't that bad, but I'd still get them fixed ASAP.

21. boco

boco

I should have fixed all the typos that I can see but if anyone else sees one please PLEASE let me know. I'am not the worlds best writer.

22. SterDee

SterDee

If you`re going to raise $10k you`re going to need to bring in a lot of pledges from people you know personally. Successful campaigns aren`t typically based solely on strangers donating money. So, if you`re going for $10K you`re going to need people you know to pledge thousands of dollars to help you. You should decide if that`s a realistic goal. Either way, I suggest you go with indiegogo if you want to keep whatever you raise (minus their percentage of course).