Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

OLD

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by hesa2020, Aug 27, 2013.

1. hesa2020

hesa2020

DELETE ME

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  2. Meltdown

Meltdown

If you need to ask these sort of questions, you are way in over your head.

With your level of skill, you should be looking at some pre-made architecture like uLink and PikkoServer. They handle this all for you.

Writing your own networking/MMO/socket system is no trivial task.
    The question is...do you want to build an MMO, or do you want to spend many months building a basic networking library?

3. Uncasid

Uncasid

Lol, I was going to respond with this earlier.

Meltdown is correct, why reinvent the wheel? If you are planning a simple MMOFPS, photon might just be perfect for you.

4. chrisx84

chrisx84

HOWEVER if you really want to make your own server just combine them into 1 or 2 exe. like have the login as its own exe and then the game server itself as its own that handles party, chat and whatever else. Try to see if theres coding to some game servers like bukkit for Minecraft and use their source code as a referrence / example. Thats what I am currently doing to make my own java based server. BTW Hi from Ontario :p

5. hesa2020

hesa2020

DELETE ME

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  6. JamesPro

JamesPro

If you can't even afford the license Cost for Photon then your certainly not going to have the money to rent servers. You won't be able to host a couple million players on a Single Physical Server you will need a whole Server Cluster with some unknown amount of Servers working together. I say unknown amount of Servers because that will largely be dependent on how much your Server Software needs to deal with.

7. chrisx84

chrisx84

oh would all you downers quit being douchbags please. He can get a cheap vps from amazon or other providers just to help get him going with live testings. Also ever heard of private servers noob? Minecraft doesnt host all the pc version servers, Notch has a download for the server jar and Dinnerbone is a contributor to the bukkit server. So this guy doesnt really have to worry about hosting massive players on his own (rented) hardware if he decides not to. MMO does mean Massive Multiplayer Online, doesnt mean hosted by just 1 company / person DUH!

8. Meltdown

Meltdown

The servers are the least of his worries.
    He wants to write his own MMO architecture that can handle 'millions of players'.

Firstly.. nobody on these forums has the knowledge on how to write architecture like that and give you advice on it. If there is anyone on these forums that worked on the WOW/GW2 or the PikkoServer architecture, then feel free to chime in and correct me that I am wrong and help the OP with his question.

Secondly, if you're worried about Photon/uLink licensing costs.. then you certainly can't afford to take the 6-12 months to write a simple MMO architecture that will be nowhere even near as polished as the Photon/uLink solutions that are available. These solutions have had many man-years of development by people vastly more experienced than the OP in network programming.

This thread is pretty much pointless. The OP wants advice on something that seems well beyond his reach, both financially and skill-wise.

9. JamesPro

JamesPro

Yes your right he COULD allow Players to host their own Servers... HOWEVER depending on what he's exactly trying to achieve he has some issues he would have to solve. Once you allow the Server software to leave your hands you can no longer Trust anything that is going on on the different Servers. The Server can and WILL be hacked... If people Can hack the Servers then they could find Loop holes to also hack the Official Servers there fore any type of Cash Shop or even Subscription Service would no longer be able to work because people could hack the servers to bypass any subscription requirements or to give them selves whatever items from the cash shop they wanted to. He would just be setting him self up for a hard time were he to allow players to host the Servers. Also Servers hosted by other players would have to low System Requirements so that players could actually afford to host them. There for the Game would have to be designed around smaller matches/games with 50 to 100 players at most maybe as high as 200 on a Server. This would rule out normal MMO architectures where you host different Zones/Regions on separate Servers. Games like DayZ or Online FPS games would work great in this context but normal MMOs wouldn't work in this environment.

10. Uncasid

Uncasid

untwist your panties please. you arent getting what we are saying, so i am going to lump you into the uneducated crowd. calling us douchebags for giving him good advice is pretty stupid on your part. neither of you seem to understand the complexity involved in writting a good networking backend.

you say you want to support up to a mil players, do you understand distributed computing / load balancing? do you know what fault tollerance is? do you understand that you cannot have only one cluster of servers in one place, and why? do you understand how tcp / udp works? do you know how to prevent cheating? can you explain interpolation or extrapolation? can you program c++?

these are just basic questions on networking. why in the world would you chose a system that will be subpar and buggy compared to real solutions out there that PROFESSIONALS have designed is beyond me. the licencing for these already built systems are not expensive at all. as meltdown has said before, if that is too much for you, you will never finish anything.

think about it like this, would you rather be building the game, or trying to figure out networking crap years down the road? if you intend to run this as a business, better drop the ego, as it will cost you a LOT more in the long run if you take this route

11. Uncasid

Uncasid

also, just to note: meltdown has finished projects and has published them. it would behoove you to listen to his advice.

i would also suggest checking out Badumna, pretty damn cool system, and might fit your needs. the arbitration server is a cool concept. it will allow the granularity you seek, while still covering the stuff we are advising you not to pursue.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  12. JamesPro

JamesPro

Badumna is a pretty cool Networking Engine... Still a little too new and risky for my taste though for a MMO. I know they have done alot with security and I know you can run importing calculations on the Arbitration Servers but still just the idea of a P2P MMO still seems a little too risky for me personally.

13. Uncasid

Uncasid

i had the same thoughts, lol. i have actually been playing with this. i have a friend that loves to cheat in games. i gave him my code and tell him to break it. he has a few times, but that is because i didnt do the arbitration correctly. i found the trick is looking for expected values based on past values.

14. Ashley_H

Ashley_H

This was an article written by a developer for Guild Wars 2:

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/355/entry-2250155-why-you-shouldnt-be-making-an-mmo/

Whilst I don't intend to belittle OP and say that their project is out of reach, I think they do need to open their eyes to just how big an undertaking an MMO engine designed to handle "10 million players" is along with what sort of skills you need to get this not only working but working efficiently (as the article notes, a server designed for a few thousand people is nothing compared to an MMO engine designed for millions of concurrent users).

15. Uncasid

Uncasid

I hope that what we are saying isn't coming across as belittling. That was not my intention. As for the link, bingo, that sums it up very nicely! Now, I am a big believer in people being able to build an MMO by themselves. It has been done before, and it will be done again. But I also know that the ones that did it already have a good foundation to build from.

16. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

If you missed it,

There is the Pomelo NodeJS MMO server with Unity Client and Multiverse Java MMO server with Unity Client. Both are MIT licensed. Download the source code and study them ;)

Good luck

17. JamesPro

JamesPro

Since when does Multiverse actually have a publicly released Unity Client? I know some people were working on it but I haven't seen anything released to the public yet.

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I find it challenging designing code for an 8 player twitch gaming experience and I've been programming for around 30 years or so*. It's a lot for me to take in and absorb and learn and bring to an acceptable standard. By acceptable standard I mean of comparable quality to what you would expect in a console game.

Bearing that in mind, I think you will have a lot of trouble making an MMO, as while it is simple on paper, there are all kinds of problems you'll have to deal with on a financial and technical level so I'd advise you try a 2 player game then migrate to a 4 player game. If you can get that working perfectly, you probably stand a chance trying 16 players.

In short you're going at top speed before you can crawl.

* This is just an indicator of experience, not my technical ability, I'm just speaking from a point of view where I think I've seen enough to know you're leading yourself down the wrong path.

19. KulestarUK

KulestarUK

Hey hesa!

As a big data network developer and someone who is actively involved in developing an MMO, I sure can tell you it's no easy undertaking, but I certainly would never say don't do it. Yes there are many challenges, many of which you will never forsee, but what you learn from them is worth it.

Judging from your questions it seems this is coming more from a hobbyist/ why not give this a try point of view; in which case, good on you for going for an MMO! Here's a few pointers that can possibly help you out.

First and formost, there's two bits of an MMO that get overlooked all the time.

1. Massively. The definition really isn't kidding.
    One thing that I can immediately point out is that each of your listed servers would have to be a cluster if you really do intend on getting players in the 6+ digit range. Even if your program is extremely streamlined, a server is limited in the amount of connections it can maintain by ports, so to handle lots of them at the same time you really must have multiple servers working together.

So you're probably wondering; how do I make a cluster? Well, theres a bunch of different approaches. One of the most basic is whats known as round-robin DNS. Rather than having a DNS address such as server.example.com pointing to a single IP, it points to lots of them, and DNS will automatically shuffle them around each time someone wants to know an IP to use. The client then selects one from the set of IPs and you achieve a cheap method of load balancing. You'll see round-robin DNS is employed by most large companies - an nslookup for google.com for example returns a set of IPs. Repeating the same nslookup will show them changing order. Neato.

What about the server end? This is where the hard part comes in. Your servers must then of course communicate with each other, working collectively as one. This can be done by each server knowing all other online servers in their local cluster (and informing all other servers when it starts up or goes down), and a simple technique from that point is just broadcast all messages to all the other servers; Ideally though if you can target a particular server with a message (e.g. you know for sure that this private message from player A on server 2 is to player B on server 4), do. Alternatively you can take the slave/master approach where there is one server in the cluster that tells all the others what to do; the technique you use can vary from cluster to cluster, depending on what the task is that it must perform. A great real life example of a master server is Tractor by Pixar.

2. Online. It'll be your duty to keep it so, 24/7.

It's heartbreaking to see servers go offline. In gaming, it's pretty fatal. This is where your monitoring and update systems should come in; In the biggest of systems, these are clusters too. You really have to consider how the game will get updated without causing too much of an interruption to your players, and without causing too much of a traffic issue at your server. Update servers are notorious for receiving massive volumes of requests, and then nothing for ages (expect it to be essentially DDOSED each time you update) - this is something that you must work with and even out.

Another note on staying online is you must attempt to remove any single points of failure in your network; thats any single servers which, if offline for any reason, would bring your whole game offline with it. This is almost always a database of some kind, so you must consider redundancy. Expect the harddrive to fail so your network doesn't; Imagine what would happen if your database failed completely and you lost it all. At this scale, the wheels of a database routinely fall off anyway, so you must also employ techniques such as sharding to again spread the load from one single point to a cluster of servers. Dns can be excellently useful here too for keeping track of parts of your database. Locating your whole operation in a single datacenter should be avoided if possible, as if the datacenter goes down, you do too. Multiple datacenters each staying in sync with each other is exceptionally complex due to delays over the internet, but should certainly be taken into account if you wish to grow.

Security
    Often overlooked, so please don't underestimate it as it will form one of the largest components of the game. If somebody breaks past your games security and goes rampage gaining themselves a ton of advantages over everybody else, it has a significant impact on the overall mood of your players.

I could go on for hours about this stuff, so I'll try summarising some extra points down below!

Other categories of server you may not have considered yet:
    - Indexers. How do you find stuff, such as searching on a forum? When massive is involved, you can't simply use in-database stuff anymore.
    - Website forum database (if you really mean huge, this will get overloaded if its not seperated).
    - Content servers. You have to structure your game in such a way so you can update it with minimal interruption, so splitting up your assets is vital.
    - Billing server. The server you'll probably love the most :) Handles transactions, micropayments, recurring billing etc.
    - Security services. Servers which track and authorize progression through your network.
    - Trade/Market servers. Can players trade in your game? If so, you'll want to know how your games economy is fairing as a games economy can generate some incredibly insightful metrics, especially if it requires you stepping in and giving it a nudge every so often.
    - User account control such as password recovery services, global emailing etc.
    - Version control.
    - Backup systems.

Other
    - NPC and gameworld state syncronization. Everybody needs to see stuff in the same place.
    - Support, Support, Support! Players hate awful support, so plan ahead for it. Consider various methods of communicating with your players and pick the ones you think will suit your game. Guides, forums, FAQ, tickets; all of which should be searchable.
    - Tools and administration services. There will be times when you urgently need to interact with your servers. You'll also want to provide simplistic methods of for example performing updates/ adding new content/ changing a players details manually. All of this should be provided to your staff so you're not constantly tripping over each other or making mistakes, as a human error may just knock your network offline.

So, there's a small summary of some things to consider! Making an MMO, or any large network for that matter, is a complex procedure filled with potential pitfalls but is well worth it once you're done. Good luck and I hope this helps!

All the best,
    Luke Briggs
    Kulestar, UK

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  20. Meltdown

Meltdown

Thanks for the info Luke, I'd like to get your opinion on the following...

I'll be launching my game soon, and hoping to get it involved with all sorts of marketing spikes and player usage highs and lows.
    Can you give any useful tips on the best way for a small indie like me to scale infrastructure up and down as neccessary?

For instance if I have a single server that can handle 300 concurrent race sessions... but then I'm say in a Humble Bundle deal, and there is an influx of a few thousand players in the next week, what's the best way to manage this? Are virtual servers the way to go?

I do plan on keeping a seperate forum server, and a seperate billing/database server too.

As an indie I need to keep costs down so any other advise regarding this sort of thing will be most welcome.

And security wise, my server will be purely authoritative, the only input the server will accept from players is keyboard input such as throttle (normalised from 0 - 1), and steering input (normalised too). All physics will be calculated by the server. Aside from this, are there any other security considerations I should think about?

21. KulestarUK

KulestarUK

Hey Meltdown,

Great, I wish you all the best with it! You sound like you may be an ideal candidate for what's now known as a cloud server; services like Rackspace (these guys have been the best of the ones I've tried) provide these and they can be excellent for on-demand scaling if you don't have the in-house hardware to accomodate spikes. Plus it often comes at the added bonus of you only pay for what you use, so you can bump it up for a brief spike and then roll back to normal as needed; this can be quite cost effective, however do consider that bandwidth is charged for too. Do expect to move off cloud services though as they become cost ineffective at a larger scale.

Depending on how far you'd like to push the cost front, you can always use free web services for serving up static content where the terms allow you to do so. For example, Dropbox does allow this kind of usage and is rather generous about it; this can be very effective for bandwidth hungry uses such as videos/ cutscenes, or serving the client itself.

Of course, this entirely depends on how your server software is setup and if it too can handle the spikes; simply scaling up the amount of memory it can use may not always be effective. Being an authoritative server it will of course have quite the task already, but again with cloud servers it's usually quite straightforward to duplicate a server setup and simply get the two working together as a virtual mini cluster, doubling its overall capacity for connections as well as processing power - so long as they can chat to each other if they need to.

Security wise, there's lots of things to consider across three different domains - the client, the server and the bridge between them; a failure in any domain can be a pretty fatal security hole. Ranging from the usuals to the more exotic, here's a few things to look out for:

- Logging in. What's the possibility of somebody faking the response from the server and logging in as somebody else? Or how about modifying profile data the server responds with? All server->client communications can be looked at and often quite easily injected into, so assume everything you send off to the server or everything the server responds with is clearly visible. Use SSL where possible, but do bear in mind the additional processing power required at the server end.
    - On similar grounds, every web request can be spoofed. It's not too hard to setup a proxy and fake responses if your game is just looking out for some kind of OK message to go ahead with something. This kind of setup is unfortunately common, so involve key exchanges and make sure responses are unique when it really matters.
    - Being .NET, Unity games are remarkably straight forward to reverse engineer; the .unity3d webplayer files have been cracked too. Obfuscate when possible to prevent decompile->edit->recompile from forming a hijacked client and assume that your source code is visible.
    - One of the oldest tricks around in gaming is hex editors being used to edit memory. Values that must be secured such as points, inventory items etc should be stored in multiple places and ideally in multiple formats to try and block this from occuring. This can also have nice side effects as storing a value as an int/long/string combo means the string form can be used for display purposes too.
    - Don't trust the client. By being an authoritative server, it sounds like you've got this one down just fine :)
    - Loopback attacks. One of the lesser known forms of attack is spoofing your IP address such that it matches the servers then sending it requests; the result being the response is delivered right back to the server. Block this; the server should never need to talk to itself in this way. This attack is extremely affective in a DDOS, especially if the server has a high 'amplification' ratio. That means you only need to send it a small message and it responds with something large - the message is 'amplified'. By spoofing that tiny request lots of times, the server sends the large response to itself, lots of times, jamming up the network card.
    - Try the techniques yourself! Ideally get somebody on your team who wasn't involved in security to attempt a break in. There's some great tools around which can really show you what you're up against. This is one of the most affective ways to really test out your protocols.

Having said that, be careful not to be overkill otherwise you might just risk locking out legitimate clients which is possibly worse than the small fraction of your userbase that will attempt something malicious. For example, enforcing 'request windows' where your client has a small period of time to submit something may go down badly for people with slow internet - it's all about getting that balance right.

22. Meltdown

Meltdown

Thanks for those great tips, I will definately keep these in mind and let you know if I have some more questions.

Regarding server hosting, I've found Leasweb to be pretty well priced. Should I use something like the Virtual Server offering they have here... ?

http://www.leaseweb.com/en/cloud-hosting

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  23. KulestarUK

KulestarUK

Ah yes those guys are pretty good; I prefer Rackspace mainly for their support and uptime, but if it's value your after then LeaseWeb should be just fine. Do bear in mind the differences between a virtual server and a cloud server - cloud servers are designed for flexibility and by nature can be very easily redeployed for quick scale ups but of course that comes at an extra price, so it depends what you're looking for - if you feel multiple virtual servers could do the task then absolutely. They are slower to setup though, so you must be in a situation where you can predict load ahead of time; load testing your setup once it's ready is of course a must as running on a virtual server will perform very differently to something running on a local box :)