Search Unity

Old Tutorials?

Discussion in '2D' started by serjkirchano_unity, Oct 18, 2019.

1. serjkirchano_unity

serjkirchano_unity

Hey, everyone!

Sorry for most likely repeating the question, but have you got any idea how to proceed to the page with the old tutorials? I think it still was there last month.

Thanks in advance!

MisterSkitz likes this.
  2. LiterallyJeff

LiterallyJeff

vakabaka likes this.
  3. serjkirchano_unity

serjkirchano_unity

Guess it is! Just looks different

Maybe, I was looking for the archived tutorials. Do you think it's worth looking into them or rather go with the new ones?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  4. Antypodish

Antypodish

Important thing is, whatever tutorial you chose, always use relevant to tutorial Unity version.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Only if you are a beginner at using Unity and game making in general.

If you have experience though, it's actually fun re-making tutorials with 2020.1, Mainly for now, I'm working on Ruby's Adventure and Create A 2D Platformer - Unite Berlin Training Day with 2020.1., these two are compatible,

Creator Kit - Beginner Code is not on the other hand because of shaders incompatibility and 2D Roguelike is problematic; I still have to find a way to fix it. ;)

MisterSkitz likes this.
  6. Antypodish

Antypodish

I suppose it is good opportunity and time, to remake for new Unity generation.

Of course. Yet once you experienced, you probably wont be using tutorials anyway :)

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ah, that's the common mistake. You are never experienced enough to say "I don't need to learn or revise what I have learnt already." ;)

And making tutorials when you don't really need them is still useful, new ways of seeing things, new coding style and so on.

vakabaka likes this.
  8. Antypodish

Antypodish

I never claimed that. By the point you are experienced enough, you most likely will be using documentations and like some even more experienced, reading source code directly (i.e. DOTS). While videos may be useful, just to get concept, what you can do. So there is no stopping in learning by all means :)

vakabaka likes this.
  9. Valjuin

Valjuin

10. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

I'm actually starting an easy to follow tutorial series from the ground up for Unity 2019.2. I'm covering all of the basics and gradually increase into intermediate and then get into some advanced stuff. I'm teaching the interface of Unity as well as C# API. My goal is to teach in the same manner that I learned. So do check out the SkitzTutz on YouTube :)

It starts, for you, here:

A lot of the old stuff has depreciated and expect even more so in Unity 2020, where I think Unity will take a HUGE advantage over Unreal! Anyway, it's better to learn the modern language rather than the depreciated, in my opinion.

Dungeon_Rider likes this.
  11. Antypodish

Antypodish

Most tutorials teach about basics. And use c#. Unless you go back to dark ages of Unity JS or boo. Once you grasp basics how to navigate in editor, how to make simple animations, detect collisions and make rain using particles, moving to later Unity version is not that different. Unless you build game in old Unity and try upgrade to later, that may be a pain. Specially for ne learners. But on other hand, new learners should be using at most LTS.

There is nothing for new comers in latest Unity version, that they will need to make a game, what is not in older Unities, before they gain enough confidence in using Unity.

Most likely frustration of lack of learning resources.