Search Unity

Old Powerbook Titanium 550 Suitable for Development?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by brucegregory, Nov 12, 2005.

1. brucegregory

brucegregory

I have to confess that, for economic reasons, my main computer is a Windows machine. I still possess, however, an "old", sheesh, Titanium Powerbook 550 with a dead ethernet port.

Truthfully, would this machine even be worth trying to use as a development platform for games made with Unity?

As I said, it has a dead ethernet port and no writable CD drive. If I need to test on my Windows machine, (to experience actual play speeds of a game), how would I transfer the files? I do have a 256 meg flash drive, but sometimes a file readable on one system is unreadable on the other one.

Thanks,

Greg Smith

2. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

That really depends on what you're developing. If you want to do graphically intensive stuff, it's gonna be painful...

If you're more into getting gameplay behavior scripts right and don't care about a 5000 polygon main character then that machine should be just fine...

The best thing I can say is give it a shot. Most likely, you'll be pleasantly surprised...

Btw, a large part of the GooBall developmen was actually done on a 550MHz TiBook ;-)