Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

[OLD-FORUM-THREAD] Ultimate Terrains 1.0

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amandin-E, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tycho911

tycho911

Yeah me too, this is unfortunate.. I got the heightmap feature to work finally, but it isn't very useful because it can only make it as large as the actual heightmap.. it should be able to upsample to an arbitrarily large size....

Also there are some bugs and stability issues...and the the documentation is woefully inadequate--making this plugin not really appropriate for a serious project.

2. XPAction

XPAction

Like the way, they have done it in the racing game FUEL

3. Steelshot

Steelshot

Hi! I have a couple questions for the asset before I begin to buy it.

Does this support cubical terrain? (Like cube world or minecraft)

Also, does this support random structures?

4. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

It does support cubic terrain, yes. However, I would say that it isn't optimized for cubic terrain and that you'll get significantly better performance if you have a dedicated algorithm for cubic terrain (assuming that's all you want).

And the developer here seems to be... inactive.

5. lazygunn

lazygunn

Yeah a bit disappointed with that to be honest, im figuring they got a bit burnt out by the effort on the update, seems like it was more trouble than they anticipated. Im assuming things will pick up though (i hope, want to try gaia generated heightmaps with it)

6. Recon03

Recon03

Unity needs to pull assets like this when these devs decide to dsappear and give no support.. Its a rip off when they do this.. This asset is not cheap either... Yet to see a voxel engine that lasts on this site, lucky for me, I built my own now since I got sick of all of these devs pulling this crap..

JasonBricco likes this.
  7. joejr

joejr

I’m hoping this asset makes a comeback. It has a lot of potential. One thing the developer said was that if he abandons the asset he would release the code. First hope is he continues his efforts.

8. Lelon

Lelon

Anyone have this problem where the changes made to the biome module editor are randomly lost? It's so frustrating because after a long hard work trying to create the modules and tweak their frequency values and such, everything get's lost randomly.

9. Lelon

Lelon

@AmandineEntertainment Can you please at least release the source code for us that purchased this plugin so we can fix all the bugs ourselves and implement features that we need?

10. Recon03

Recon03

what a joke, Unity needs to do something and now... This is a rip off to those that bought this or any other tool.... They should contact the devs. if they continue to ignore and give no support it should be closed... unfair to any one who buys it for the future as well...

JasonBricco likes this.
  11. Nostre

Nostre

You are Blind
    I got Terravol
    What do you think Unity do every year when they charge over a thousand dollars for a new copy of the last version modified, with news utility and icon.
    No one cry over it!

12. Khaotic

Khaotic

Well @Nostre that's not really how this works. You pay for a product and are told you will receive certain updates and features than you should get those updates and features.

If later on after releasing those updates and features he wants to release a whole new updated version then fine, but people deserve the product they paid for first.

13. AaronClark

AaronClark

Source is now included, not taken a look at it yet though kind of feel that the effort needed to fix UT might be better spent rolling my own vox engine...
    Still glad the author included the source.

14. A-Dork-Of-Pork

A-Dork-Of-Pork

@sewapeluz, Although your fix does work, it makes system lag, even when there's only one grass material in use.

Though, on a side note; those images look great! (Minus the very rough biome edges, of course.)

Which reminds me; I don't like the biome selection process. It's too linear, results would be a lot better if you could choose to smoothly transition between let's say Biome A and Biome F. I haven't taken too deep a look at the biome selectors work, but I'm pretty sure you cannot do this.

15. A-Dork-Of-Pork

A-Dork-Of-Pork

I have a pretty powerful machine as well, which it's still giving me the hiccups.

Anyway, the hiccup is whenever I see grass, anytime else it is completely fine. What's more is if I comment out the "sharedMaterials" line in the final step you gave out, the hiccups vanish, even when viewing grass.

Edit:
    Looking at the screenshots you gave, I can certainly see a lot of your dedication showing off. Though, my stance is still that your biome system doesn't transition smooth enough (with the materials at least) But, I can't complain. You're a few steps ahead of me.

16. A-Dork-Of-Pork

A-Dork-Of-Pork

Actually, now that I'm testing the grass with multiple materials (without your grass fix enabled) it runs fine, may I ask what the problem was to begin with?

17. A-Dork-Of-Pork

A-Dork-Of-Pork

Strange, I just looked closely to the grass materials I have and I was using the default system. Still haven't encountered the problem. Maybe it was fixed with the source code patch?

Attached Files:

18. A-Dork-Of-Pork

A-Dork-Of-Pork

I didn't try to prove you wrong? I just said that it didn't give me any errors.

19. Amandin-E

Amandin-E

Hi everyone,

As you've seen, I was away for a long time, and finally took the decision to release the source code of uTerrains.
    This update also comes with a few improvements on editor UI, and the new 2D/3D masters.

I've taken this decision because I will have less time to work on uTerrains, even if I hope to be able to work on it again later.

For those who are talking about TerraVol, Olivier is the author of TerraVol and a co-author of uTerrains, but he hasn't been working on uTerrains for a long time. These are two completely different products and are absolutely not compatible between each others. For your information, uTerrains has been made from scratch.
    I don't see why there is any problem with that.

20. z3nth10n

z3nth10n

Hello, I have a question for the asset before I begin to buy it.

Is the terrain really infinite or it's resized to 8192x8192? Could somebody explain to me?

Thanks.

21. Khaotic

Khaotic

Short answer is yes it is infinite.

Long answer is:

Just like minecraft as you walk it loads in new chunks ahead of you, the 8192x8192 is just the amount that you can see rendered around you. It is infinite although after traveling very far from the start you will have problems with floating point precision and will need to recenter. If you know how to code or are interested in learning this is a great asset, would likely need a few changes to be game release quality but overall its great and the source code release just makes it that much better.

z3nth10n likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
unityunity